The Student Room Group

Nervous about going to counselling?

I'm in my first year of uni and I've recently just signed up to counselling sessions. I feel really anxious that perhaps what I say might get me into trouble. its not about what I've done but what others have done to me. Let me explain. My current relationship w/ my mother is not great, id say its more or less dead at this point and she purposely glosses over a lot issues which makes me feel frustrated a lot of the time. Like I have this huge weight on my shoulders, its not necessarily just that but I have had an immediate family come back from prison which has also put a strain not only on my mental health but also on the relationship w/ my mother. I really want to leave, perhaps get student accommodation, my mother keeps telling me that I can't leave w/ out her etc. which I find funny because I'm very self sufficient (e.g can cooked, do laundry etc). She gaslights me a lot and so does this immediate family member. I feel that if I were to go to counselling, they might get social services involved and I have time for that.
Nothing you’ve said here could get you into trouble. There will be confidentiality between you and your therapist, which will probably have exceptions for if you’re putting yourself or others in danger (e.g. if you told your therapist you’re planning to kill someone). The therapist should explain the confidentiality rules at your first session.

Why do you think social services would get involved? Do you mean Children’s Services to safeguard you from an unsafe home (if you’re still under 18) or Adult Social Care, who do things like providing carers for elderly/disabled people?
Reply 2
Original post by Desideri
Nothing you’ve said here could get you into trouble. There will be confidentiality between you and your therapist, which will probably have exceptions for if you’re putting yourself or others in danger (e.g. if you told your therapist you’re planning to kill someone). The therapist should explain the confidentiality rules at your first session.

Why do you think social services would get involved? Do you mean Children’s Services to safeguard you from an unsafe home (if you’re still under 18) or Adult Social Care, who do things like providing carers for elderly/disabled people?

Im 19, idk I tend to overthink to the point of insanity.
Reply 3
I mean I don't have time for that lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending