The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drbluebox
Im white myself, I was born with disabilities, quickly parents became poor due to becoming ill and poverty so bad at points they went without food, I went to roughest school in region the same school told me people from benefit backgrounds were lazy and would amount to nothing, gave free tuition to the middle class kids, grants for female students (who were mostly middle class in first place)

What is a minority to you? Race/sexuality only?

And as you say its a predominantly WHITE country, so of course we get more people in power being WHITE, now non white people are getting a free pass for their race which is bad for both white and non white people, theres a difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

non white people are most definitely not getting a free pass, its the whites who really get privileges
Original post by Mr T 999
Well duh black people want to be represented by another black. How would you feel if a black person wanted to represent the white race? They would not be relatable to the community and the community would not take that person seriously. A white person can't understand black struggles.

Secretly most white people agree, but they would never dare say that they would rather be represented by a white person - they would have their lives torn apart for being a racist in no time.
Original post by drbluebox
Im white myself, I was born with disabilities, quickly parents became poor due to becoming ill and poverty so bad at points they went without food, I went to roughest school in region the same school told me people from benefit backgrounds were lazy and would amount to nothing, gave free tuition to the middle class kids, grants for female students (who were mostly middle class in first place)

What is a minority to you? Race/sexuality only?

And as you say its a predominantly WHITE country, so of course we get more people in power being WHITE, now non white people are getting a free pass for their race which is bad for both white and non white people, theres a difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

Minorities are people with disabilities, POC, LGBT people.

Exactly- "of course we get more people in power being white" - that is why people want minorities to have more roles.
I agree with your second point though.
Original post by Anonymous
if the course is majority black/muslim, doesn't it make sense if a black or muslim person respresents them? and if it's based on voting, surely it's not you who gets to decide if it's unfair or not, its a vote, thats how democracy works lmao. I grew up in central London+ attended mostly 95% white schools, still do. i understand it may be hard but at the end of the day, what exactly is it do you want to happen? get rid of all the black muslims to make a nice, all-white school?

There are 2 representatives one has already been voted in, who matches them. It’s the fact that because I’m not black and a tbh even more so that I’m not Muslim that they just ignore me, when we’re on campus they flat out ignore me and the few other white people, and always just shout over us so we can’t be heard in discussions.
Well duh black people want to be represented by another black. How would you feel if a black person wanted to represent the white race? They would not be relatable to the community and the community would not take that person seriously. A white person can't understand black struggles.

There are 2 representatives. That doesn’t mean they can stomp all over me because I’m not Muslim
Minorities are people with disabilities, POC, LGBT people.

Exactly- "of course we get more people in power being white" - that is why people want minorities to have more roles.
I agree with your second point though.

I have a disability, I’m gay, so I’m a minority too. Many people are minorities just outside of their race.
Excuse me but I don’t hide in privilege. White privilege isn’t even a thing it’s working class white boys that are failing academically not black people.

White privilege is a thing, champ.
Excuse me but I don’t hide in privilege. White privilege isn’t even a thing it’s working class white boys that are failing academically not black people.

I mean, unless you can prove otherwise, its undeniably true that on average, white people have an easier time in the UK than non-white people.

The point of my post, which seemed to fly right over your head, is that a large part of white privileged is majority-bias not racism. Majority bias is a really real and very hard thing to combat - people stick with what's similar to them and the largest group of 'similar' gains advantages over the smaller groups through favoring their own. What your finding is that now you have moved into an enviroment where your not the majority, the majority-bias is working aginst you, not for you, and that's causing you problems.

Which is pretty much exactly what minorities deal with in the majority of the UK.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Secretly most white people agree, but they would never dare say that they would rather be represented by a white person - they would have their lives torn apart for being a racist in no time.

It's not racist to be represented by someone from your race or community. You want someone who understands the community and the demographic and their problems. A white person would not understand the black community similarly a black person would not understand the white community.
That's true lol. White people can't stand not being privileged for 10 minutes.

I don’t agree with that. I’ve never had any sort of privilege. How is white working class falling through the cracks privileged? All scholarships and experience are aimed at black people.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I mean, unless you can prove otherwise, its undeniably true that on average, white people have an easier time in the UK than non-white people.

The point of my post, which seemed to fly right over your head, is that a large part of white privileged is majority-bias not racism. Majority bias is a really real and very hard thing to combat - people stick with what's similar to them and the largest group of 'similar' gains advantages over the smaller groups through favoring their own. What your finding is that now you have moved into an enviroment where your not the majority, the majority-bias is working aginst you, not for you, and that's causing you problems.

Which is pretty much exactly what minorities deal with in the majority of the UK.

I get that but that doesn’t mean people can be rude to others because they’re not black or Muslim

THIS
There are 2 representatives. That doesn’t mean they can stomp all over me because I’m not Muslim

They can, if a black Muslim community want someone like them to represent them they can. What does a white non Muslim know or understand about this community? Answer is non, they know nothing about this community it would be inappropriate for such a person to represent them.
It's not racist to be represented by someone from your race or community. You want someone who understands the community and the demographic and their problems. A white person would not understand the black community similarly a black person would not understand the white community.

I agree with you - we all want to be represented by people that understand us, sometimes that's defined by race, sometimes it's geographical, somtimes its sex etc. We all want to feel understood and represented.

I'm just pointing out that a white person can't say it. Imagine a big white celebrity comes out and says "In the next election I'm not going to vote for X candidate to represent me because they are Black, and don't represent/understand where I'm from" - they would be cancelled before they finished their coffee.
I go to a London RG university, QMUL to be precise, and it seems being a white british student is the minority, and I’m always excluded because of this. I get passed over for everything to do with the students as they want a black Muslim person to represent them, and talk down to people from outside of London all of the time. I’ve spoken about this to a friend from Canada in my halls and they agree that as they’re not black or religious that no one seems to like them. What do I do?

This is awful.

Are you saying because someone is black black people must represent them? Black struggles, like what? Plenty of black people represent me and my views as a white person.
I get that but that doesn’t mean people can be rude to others because they’re not black or Muslim

Of course not - its never right to be rude or treat people badly. I'm just trying to explain why. Its not right, but its the reality, your a minority now in your environment, and your not a particularly popular minority in the current political climate.

Maybe learn from other minorities? In the face of things like this they group together and form their own group where they feel represented/understood.

(I'm not being serious obviously.. the backlash to a 'white society' wouldn't be worth it... even though its probably justified and a double standard to not allow one)
Original post by noturhabibti
agreed!

people are definitely uncomfortable with anything out of the norm. a lot of white people would feel intimidated to walk past a group of young, black people which is unacceptable as they would be making false assumptions. yes, if they seemed like they had weaponry with them, it is fair to feel intimidated. likewise, a group of young, white people would not be judged even if they did have weapons with them. its ridiculous!

I disagree with that bit about white people intimidated because they assume weaponry, we hear about crime for example in London and when we see examples the ones we see are often black crime therefore people are on edge around black people, that alone isn't racism as such but people don't want to take the risk. I grew up in a white ghetto and experienced all the stereotypes you see in the media about non white people, stopped on the street just because you happened to be walking around, stopped and intimidated by the police as they claim "you matched a description of a criminal" Police coming round to our door because as a poor person they assumed we were first suspects in a case (as in we had working neighbours and they NEVER went round to their homes) I remember parents complaining to Police about how the Police broke the law/rules and be told "complain and be arrested" we are white! I am just old enough to remember the days before the internet was around and the older people complained about people the next town over as people "complain" about migrants and non white people now i.e talk about how they steal jobs, they are inbred, criminals etc. So to me its not about racism its people just want something and someone to blame.

My parents have a migrant black friend who moved from Scotland to London for work, within days people tried getting her son into gangs this was her own words so she moved back to Scotland pretty much straight away.

When I had my arm broken the nurse that looked after me was German, he told me he originally moved to London but moved to Scotland because the most abuse he got was down there and from non white people, basically it wasn't just his race but as he was from another country they saw him as an outsider.

Where I live for example Asians are just and no more the main minority, then Eastern Europeans so I have said I'd rather see a local Asian or even a Eastern European white person to represent my area than say a black Londoner, it annoys me when on tv they show middle class black Londoners as "representation" They don't represent my social class, don't represent Asian, latina/o, or even my part of the UK.
White privilege is a thing, champ.

So why are they being ignored. 66% of Chinese working class boys go to uni, only 13% of white British working class boys do.
They can, if a black Muslim community want someone like them to represent them they can. What does a white non Muslim know or understand about this community? Answer is non, they know nothing about this community it would be inappropriate for such a person to represent them.

To represent their course not them. To represent the engineering course
Are you saying because someone is black black people must represent them? Black struggles, like what? Plenty of black people represent me and my views as a white person.

Thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending