The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noturhabibti
love, please. i get it, you're crying over being discriminated against for the first time but coloured people have had it much worse. i dont blame you though, its nearly impossible that white people will ever understand.

Please don’t call me that it’s patronising. I’ve been bullied all my life, and now being white is another thing I have against me. It’s like unless I’m black then I can’t ever be accepted in London.
Original post by Anonymous
Are you saying because someone is black black people must represent them? Black struggles, like what? Plenty of black people represent me and my views as a white person.

No that's not what I'm saying. It's more to do with demand, there's no demand from this black Muslim community to be represented by a white non Muslim, they want someone like them. What's wrong with that?

Black struggles:facing discrimination, ancestors being used as slaves and general black culture is different from white culture. Its hard for a white person to understand the issues they face.
So you obviously started this thread so you can whine and groan about how "white people are so left out" and you wanted others to pity and sympathize with you- talk about how detrimental it is that white people never have a say :frown: White people are so ignored :frown:
You want a place to rant go on FB with the other Karens.

Excuse me that’s not why I made it. I want to know why it’s okay for people to constantly ignore and and make jokes about me because I’m not black or Muslim
Original post by fallen_acorns
I mean, unless you can prove otherwise, its undeniably true that on average, white people have an easier time in the UK than non-white people.

The point of my post, which seemed to fly right over your head, is that a large part of white privileged is majority-bias not racism. Majority bias is a really real and very hard thing to combat - people stick with what's similar to them and the largest group of 'similar' gains advantages over the smaller groups through favoring their own. What your finding is that now you have moved into an enviroment where your not the majority, the majority-bias is working aginst you, not for you, and that's causing you problems.

Which is pretty much exactly what minorities deal with in the majority of the UK.

White people have it easier, I agree myself I will add to yours that im a little older than many (in my 30's now) I remember people getting jobs because they are from a similar social background to them, went to the same college, had similar interests in movies, video games, nightlife etc.

Or a woman hiring another woman as she sees similarities to herself in the interviewee.

So basically rather than say its what minorities deal with, just expand what a minority is, i.e I am a white male (who people assume is straight but I am not, but am more straight than gay) and assume I have it easy, but then I have had so many struggles in life, from disabilities, to poverty, to even a literal postcode lottery as before recent years laws local stores outright refused to take people from certain postcodes and housing estates, I had people who were friendly one minute change their mind when they found out I was on benefits and assumed I was lazy and stupid

I even had at school they only gave the free tuition to the middle class students as in the teachers own words it wasn't worth their time to teach the poorer kids as we would fail at life.

But to this day people just look at me and assumed straight white male = privileged.

I also always remember conversations with non white friends and colleages who have made comments that were at the very least stupid but also bigoted and if you tell them it was a racist/bigoted comment they either stare at you and tell you "I can't be racist as I am not white" or even start getting agressive and even report ME to boss/lecturer as being the racist one!
Excuse me that’s not why I made it. I want to know why it’s okay for people to constantly ignore and and make jokes about me because I’m not black or Muslim

Lol what are the jokes
Original post by Mr T 999
No that's not what I'm saying. It's more to do with demand, there's no demand from this black Muslim community to be represented by a white non Muslim, they want someone like them. What's wrong with that?

Black struggles:facing discrimination, ancestors being used as slaves and general black culture is different from white culture. Its hard for a white person to understand the issues they face.

Ever heard of the white slave trade? But I didn’t make this to fight race I made it for help with my course. And the representative is for the course not for their tucking skin colour. Who cares about skin colour?! I don’t and I don’t get why people use it for hate.
Original post by drbluebox
I disagree with that bit about white people intimidated because they assume weaponry, we hear about crime for example in London and when we see examples the ones we see are often black crime therefore people are on edge around black people, that alone isn't racism as such but people don't want to take the risk. I grew up in a white ghetto and experienced all the stereotypes you see in the media about non white people, stopped on the street just because you happened to be walking around, stopped and intimidated by the police as they claim "you matched a description of a criminal" Police coming round to our door because as a poor person they assumed we were first suspects in a case (as in we had working neighbours and they NEVER went round to their homes) I remember parents complaining to Police about how the Police broke the law/rules and be told "complain and be arrested" we are white! I am just old enough to remember the days before the internet was around and the older people complained about people the next town over as people "complain" about migrants and non white people now i.e talk about how they steal jobs, they are inbred, criminals etc. So to me its not about racism its people just want something and someone to blame.

My parents have a migrant black friend who moved from Scotland to London for work, within days people tried getting her son into gangs this was her own words so she moved back to Scotland pretty much straight away.

When I had my arm broken the nurse that looked after me was German, he told me he originally moved to London but moved to Scotland because the most abuse he got was down there and from non white people, basically it wasn't just his race but as he was from another country they saw him as an outsider.

Where I live for example Asians are just and no more the main minority, then Eastern Europeans so I have said I'd rather see a local Asian or even a Eastern European white person to represent my area than say a black Londoner, it annoys me when on tv they show middle class black Londoners as "representation" They don't represent my social class, don't represent Asian, latina/o, or even my part of the UK.

i do actually agree with you there, the media always shows the black crime and makes it seem like london is the hub of young black people. but, i didn't say they all get intimidated but most white people definitely do. i can assume OP feels intimidated surrounded by BAME people
Lol what are the jokes

Ripping off the i had a dream speech to nominate themselves, if a white person did that they’d get kicked out of the uni, saying allah wants them to be the rep, and some others.
i do actually agree with you there, the media always shows the black crime and makes it seem like london is the hub of young black people. but, i didn't say they all get intimidated but most white people definitely do. i can assume OP feels intimidated surrounded by BAME people

No I don’t don’t speak for me. I don’t feel intimidated around black people or white people because of their skin colour. Every here seems to think I’m some racist. How is people basically ignoring me and hating me because I’m white allowed in society? It can’t be done the other way without crucifixion you the white person so why can people do it?
people are definitely uncomfortable with anything out of the norm. a lot of white people would feel intimidated to walk past a group of young, black people which is unacceptable as they would be making false assumptions. yes, if they seemed like they had weaponry with them, it is fair to feel intimidated. likewise, a group of young, white people would not be judged even if they did have weapons with them. its ridiculous!

So now you are telling us how white people think and feel, false and racist assumptions.
Ripping off the i had a dream speech to nominate themselves, if a white person did that they’d get kicked out of the uni, saying allah wants them to be the rep, and some others.

Yeah why the hell would a white person rip off the "I had a dream speech"
Why wouldn't a black person use that? Whats wrong with that?
Thank you

but you dont represent their struggles hun

Please don’t call me that it’s patronising. I’ve been bullied all my life, and now being white is another thing I have against me. It’s like unless I’m black then I can’t ever be accepted in London.

oh im so sorry, your case is upsetting and im sorry that you're going through this but please remember that not being white makes me feel like i'll never be accepted in the whole of the UK. i'm sure other non-whites can agree
Ever heard of the white slave trade? But I didn’t make this to fight race I made it for help with my course. And the representative is for the course not for their tucking skin colour. Who cares about skin colour?! I don’t and I don’t get why people use it for hate.

It's for the course? Why didn't you mention this in your op post it sounded like you wanted to be student rep of the black Muslim community :facepalm: :lol:
Original post by Mr T 999
It's for the course? Why didn't you mention this in your op post it sounded like you wanted to be student rep of the black Muslim community :facepalm: :lol:

I’ve mentioned it several times!

Ignore the troll.
oh im so sorry, your case is upsetting and im sorry that you're going through this but please remember that not being white makes me feel like i'll never be accepted in the whole of the UK. i'm sure other non-whites can agree

Will you stop patronising me it’s very rude
Original post by DiddyDec
So now you are telling us how white people think and feel, false and racist assumptions.

i said a lot, not all
Lol I was just about to put QMUL as my firm for next year... Nvm I guess🙁
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah why the hell would a white person rip off the "I had a dream speech"
Why wouldn't a black person use that? Whats wrong with that?

Because it’s a double standard
Will you stop patronising me it’s very rude

i dont see how im patronising you, i'm apologising that you feel this way, i do feel bad for you

Latest

Trending

Trending