The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noturhabibti
but you dont represent their struggles hun

oh im so sorry, your case is upsetting and im sorry that you're going through this but please remember that not being white makes me feel like i'll never be accepted in the whole of the UK. i'm sure other non-whites can agree

I think myself few if any people feel truly accepted, I am a bi white male who to this day has had gender identity issues, grew up in poverty and has disabilties so I feel not accepted in the whole of the UK, but even if I was straight and grew up in a working family and without disabilities I'd say that wouldn't mean I necessarily felt fully accepted.

I think people will always have something they are uncomfortable or anxious about even if they don't admit it, be it weight, general apperance, social acceptance etc. Which is another reason why I try and treat everyone as a individual myself, and also why I can get quite upset when say I have the issues I mentioned but get no social work support and often had cruel comments over the years (even in real life told I should kill myself as I am a wimp) and yet others get so much support given to them, one that really gets to me though I understand in part is for ex substance abusers, they get so much support when they are on the junk over years if not decades but don't take it, and things like money support, clothing, social housing, food etc thrown at them, the few that change their life do deserve praise but then get even more support when heres me who hasn't commited years or decades of crime rotting away with zero support or praise I feel punished as I didn't break the law which can make my mental health worse!
Original post by DiddyDec
So because some say that feel uncomfortable that must mean a lot? Some Muslims are terrorists does that mean a lot of them are?

Don't make racist assumptions based on tiny fractions.

im sorry for making assumptions based on tiny fractions. all i've been trying to say is that i feel sorry that OP is having to go through this and most minorities have been going through this throughout their entire lives
Original post by Anonymous
What struggles are they?

I'm not white. I've had people in the UK comment on my skin colour. "Look how dark you are!". People don't even consider me as British. Someone even said to me that "When you get kicked out of UK and sent to your home country". I was born in the UK. I've heard that POCs aren't pretty. "She's pretty for a black/asian girl". People have said slurs like the N word/P word in front of me. to me.
Original post by drbluebox
I think myself few if any people feel truly accepted, I am a bi white male who to this day has had gender identity issues, grew up in poverty and has disabilties so I feel not accepted in the whole of the UK, but even if I was straight and grew up in a working family and without disabilities I'd say that wouldn't mean I necessarily felt fully accepted.

I think people will always have something they are uncomfortable or anxious about even if they don't admit it, be it weight, general apperance, social acceptance etc. Which is another reason why I try and treat everyone as a individual myself, and also why I can get quite upset when say I have the issues I mentioned but get no social work support and often had cruel comments over the years (even in real life told I should kill myself as I am a wimp) and yet others get so much support given to them, one that really gets to me though I understand in part is for ex substance abusers, they get so much support when they are on the junk over years if not decades but don't take it, and things like money support, clothing, social housing, food etc thrown at them, the few that change their life do deserve praise but then get even more support when heres me who hasn't commited years or decades of crime rotting away with zero support or praise I feel punished as I didn't break the law which can make my mental health worse!

This is awful. I’m so sorry.
Idk this thread has made me cry. I didn’t make it to be insulted and called a privileged racist. I asked for help.

Ok everyone I'm sorry but if we don't have anything directly related to helping OP in post 1 can we just leave this thread alone. Confronting and insulting ppl until they cry isn't the point of TSR so lets just leave it alone now. Everyone is entitled to their own views but you don't need to force these on others
Idk this thread has made me cry. I didn’t make it to be insulted and called a privileged racist. I asked for help.

I'm sorry this thread has brought out the worst side of TSR, the offending posters will be dealt with but that doesn't give you much solace now :hugs:
So if that's the case why did you ask how the OP would feel if a black person wanted to represent the 2white community and state that they wouldnt be relatable then? You do know white people have been slaves and have been discriminated against? Just look at what happened with the grooming gang victims for one example, predominately white.

Most white people don't want to be represented by a black person most accept it because it would appear racist to be against it. If a black person says they want to be represented by a fellow black its not racist but if a white person say they wanted to be represented by a white they'll criticised by everyone and be accused of racism.
Original post by noturhabibti
im sorry for making assumptions based on tiny fractions. all i've been trying to say is that i feel sorry that OP is having to go through this and most minorities have been going through this throughout their entire lives

This isn't about other people, this is about the OP and the struggles they are facing. If you want to make a thread about other people then go do so. This is the not the thread for you to tell OP he should be grateful.

You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg they should be glad they don't have terminal cancer, so don't pull that **** here.
Original post by Imhere2help
Lol I was just about to put QMUL as my firm for next year... Nvm I guess🙁

It’s probably best you get opinions from more than 1 QM student - I’m not discounting the OPs opinion at all, but one persons experience can’t be used to generalise the whole university.

I agree that QM is a place where whites are generally a ‘minority’ (in fact I’d probably say about 70% are South Asian and it can feel a bit isolating when groups of people use terms in South Asian languages or refer to South Asian culture) but on the whole most people are very welcoming and from my experience as a QM student, everyone gets treated equally. In fact, the last two presidents of the BLSA have been white, as are members of their committees. I don’t think white people are excluded but I suppose it also depends on the course, campus and type of people you try to make friends with (I can only speak for my campus obviously).
Try and find open-minded, friendly people who don’t care about the colour of your skin or religion etc (which there are plenty of) and you’ll be fine :smile:

Disclaimer: this post is intended for the person I quoted not the OP, so please don’t interpret this as me trying to disregard the OPs opinion.
Original post by Mr T 999
Most white people don't want to be represented by a black person most accept it because it would appear racist to be against it. If a black person says they want to be represented by a fellow black its not racist but if a white person say they wanted to be represented by a white they'll criticised by everyone and be accused of racism.

It makes them uncomfortable to have one black and one white person represent an engineering course?
You're actually a simpleton if you think white privilege isn't a thing. Just accept that you're privileged and you can use that to help out minorities.

Why do you think white privilege is a thing?

Should have worded your paragraph better in the op post because you didn't make it clear it was a student rep for a course, you made it like you wanted be a rep for the black Muslim community that's how everyone is interpreting it.

If you are born white, statistically you are better off if instead you are born black. It has little to due with modern-day racism, rather the disparity is due to historical collections of wealth and unfair laws which created this current statistic.

Why do you think it is not a thing?
Should have worded your paragraph better in the op post because you didn't make it clear it was a student rep for a course, you made it like you wanted be a rep for the black Muslim community that's how everyone is interpreting it.

Ah yes, blame the victim of bullying for being bullied, how noble of you.

That is how you and you alone interpreted it.
It makes them uncomfortable to have one black and one white person represent an engineering course?

That wasn't clear in the op post tho was it? I've read the op post it doesn't mention engineering course.

I'd rather be represented by a local black person who knew the area and what locals did than a white person from another town, just as i'd trust a working class black guy over a middle class white guy, it must be where you are from i.e I am from a smaller town and friends have similar views.

But to a point people do want to be represented by someone who represents themselves so if for example my local town had a black representative I know theres a near zero level of black people there, and far more Asian, and Eastern Europeans so I'd feel a black person at very least wouldn't be the best representative (unless as above they were up against a middle class white guy from another area) I feel it MAY feel like it was done out of political correctness but it may just be coincidence.

Its like the times I don't know to laugh or be shocked when I see films/tv shows etc wanting ethnic minoriy characters when they are meant to be set in say some tiny village in literal middle of nowhere that in reality would have families descended from each other as they are just there for diversities sake and make no sense in the plot.
Original post by DiddyDec
Ah yes, blame the victim of bullying for being bullied, how noble of you.

That is how you and you alone interpreted it.

Since when have they been bullied for being white? All they said was is that they feel "left out".
Don't make me grab the pumpy, make ya jumpy
Since when have they been bullied for being white? All they said was is that they feel "left out".

You and others in this thread are bullies.

Latest

Trending

Trending