The Student Room Group

Advice needed - routes into GEM

Hi all

So I am currently on a gap year which was very unplanned and I have reapplied for university next year. For reference I did a Btec in applied science and got 3D* and my GCSEs are all 7s and 8s with 2 6s. I really want to study medicine but I didn’t do A levels. For uni I have applied for biomedical science, is it worth it to do a 3 year biomed degree at Brunel university or 4 years at QMUL with foundation?. I’m still waiting on getting an offer from UCL for a 3 year Biomed related course but if I wasn’t to get an offer, is it worth it to do 3 years at Brunel over 4 years at an Rg? Considering my sole purpose in uni is to get a degree I can use to apply to undergrad/graduate medicine.

Thanks
Original post by Jameson1732
Hi all

So I am currently on a gap year which was very unplanned and I have reapplied for university next year. For reference I did a Btec in applied science and got 3D* and my GCSEs are all 7s and 8s with 2 6s. I really want to study medicine but I didn’t do A levels. For uni I have applied for biomedical science, is it worth it to do a 3 year biomed degree at Brunel university or 4 years at QMUL with foundation?. I’m still waiting on getting an offer from UCL for a 3 year Biomed related course but if I wasn’t to get an offer, is it worth it to do 3 years at Brunel over 4 years at an Rg? Considering my sole purpose in uni is to get a degree I can use to apply to undergrad/graduate medicine.

Thanks

Hi there,
Just to let you know I moved your thread to the Medicine forum, where you'll be able to get better replies :smile:

I just want to say that the place where you do biomed won't matter, what you really want is to get a good degree classification - you want a 2:1 at the very least!

Having said that, I think Queen Mary has one bad thing going for it: the foundation year. Nothing wrong with foundation years per se, but since you want to do Medicine afterwards and will get into crazy amounts of debt as a result, you ideally want to avoid paying an extra year of tuition fee and living expenses if you can avoid it. However, Queen Mary also has a good thing going for it, and that is that it has a transfer scheme into Medicine, which you can read more about it here: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/hub/biomedical-sciences-hub/a-pathway-into-medicine/

Edit: It's also good if you can go to a uni with an established medical school. It's nice because you can pop in and see how it is (e.g.: sneak into lectures :colondollar:), ask people, join their societies and get the inside scoop of Medicine, which will be mighty useful later on when you actually apply to do Medicine!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there,
Just to let you know I moved your thread to the Medicine forum, where you'll be able to get better replies :smile:

I just want to say that the place where you do biomed won't matter, what you really want is to get a good degree classification - you want a 2:1 at the very least!

Having said that, I think Queen Mary has one bad thing going for it: the foundation year. Nothing wrong with foundation years per se, but since you want to do Medicine afterwards and will get into crazy amounts of debt as a result, you ideally want to avoid paying an extra year of tuition fee and living expenses if you can avoid it. However, Queen Mary also has a good thing going for it, and that is that it has a transfer scheme into Medicine, which you can read more about it here: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/hub/biomedical-sciences-hub/a-pathway-into-medicine/

Edit: It's also good if you can go to a uni with an established medical school. It's nice because you can pop in and see how it is (e.g.: sneak into lectures :colondollar:), ask people, join their societies and get the inside scoop of Medicine, which will be mighty useful later on when you actually apply to do Medicine!

Thanks for the advice. I guess one way I could look at the qm is that I get an extra years maintance loan for the foundation year which I could save and contribute towards funding medicine. Because I have 0 expenses and live at home
Original post by Jameson1732
Hi all

Thanks

Hey!

Have you ever considered studying Graduate Entry Medicine at Swansea University? I am currently in my third year at Swansea and absolutely love it! In terms of entry requirements, the hyperlinked website should tell you most of what you need to know, but just briefly, we currently require:

Minimum Grade C GCSE Maths.

Minimum Grade C GCSE English/Welsh.

Completion of Admissions Tests.

A 2:1 (achieved or predicted) in an undergraduate degree of any subject, a merit in an integrated*master’s*degree in any subject, or a 2:2 undergraduate degree AND a Pass in a postgraduate higher degree (Masters or PhD) in any subject.

So, at a brief glance, it looks like you could be a candidate for Swansea!

Why not check us out?

Let me know if you have any questions about Swansea or the course here.

Hope Henry - Swansea Student Ambassador and Third Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending