The Student Room Group

Plymouth university-transfer from biomedical science to dentistry

Hi, I applied to plymouth for dentistry but unfortunately was unsuccessful but i got offered biomedical science and been told about transfer scheme which anyone on the course with AAB A Levels are eligible for an interview sometime in December or January on your 1st year. If successful at interview, you are given a conditional offer, which allows you to progress onto Year 1 of Medicine after completion of your 1st year, provided that you get 70% during 1st year. And there are around 10 spaces but not all of them get filled up each year.
So my question is,Can you transfer with BTEC applied science instead of A-levels?i couldnt find any information about it online on the university's website.so,if anyone knows anything about it please let me know.would really appreciate it.thankyou
Reply 1
Original post by Zainabraja
Hi, I applied to plymouth for dentistry but unfortunately was unsuccessful but i got offered biomedical science and been told about transfer scheme which anyone on the course with AAB A Levels are eligible for an interview sometime in December or January on your 1st year. If successful at interview, you are given a conditional offer, which allows you to progress onto Year 1 of Medicine after completion of your 1st year, provided that you get 70% during 1st year. And there are around 10 spaces but not all of them get filled up each year.
So my question is,Can you transfer with BTEC applied science instead of A-levels?i couldnt find any information about it online on the university's website.so,if anyone knows anything about it please let me know.would really appreciate it.thankyou

hi, i am in the same situation at the moment, did anyone get back to you?
Reply 2
I would like to know too please as got rejected from dentistry at plymouth and in same position
I suspect they will require you meet all the standard requirements of the dental degree, as that is pretty typical for these kinds of transfer schemes.

If in doubt contact them and ask. But keep in mind - these transfer schemes usually have about 200 students applying for 2-10 places, you need to meet all the same requirements as applying directly, and you only get one chance. It's usually better to take a gap year and reapply so you have 4 chances at any space on one of the degrees rather than the very limited number of ring fenced places for these schemes.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I suspect they will require you meet all the standard requirements of the dental degree, as that is pretty typical for these kinds of transfer schemes.
If in doubt contact them and ask. But keep in mind - these transfer schemes usually have about 200 students applying for 2-10 places, you need to meet all the same requirements as applying directly, and you only get one chance. It's usually better to take a gap year and reapply so you have 4 chances at any space on one of the degrees rather than the very limited number of ring fenced places for these schemes.

Yeh this is why not done so in past as narrow to one choice only and fierce competition too. Already had a gap years
Reply 5
Thankyou for taking time

Quick Reply

Latest