University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Transfer from biomedical sciences to medicine

[Deleted]
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by martyna131004
Hello.
I got an offer to study biomedical sciences with a modern language at the university of manchester. I really want to do medicine but i already got rejected from the universities i applied to because i didn't do well on my bmat (i only applied to bmat universities as i had my eyes set on UCL and Imperial college london). I would reapply but my parents don't want me to and I'm scared that i wouldn't do well and get rejected again. I was wondering if the university of manchester allows transfers from biomedical science to medicine in the first year as i saw nothing about this on their website but i did see someone on here talking about a transfer scheme within the university that allows that (the post was from 5 years ago). Any infromation and/or advice would be much appreciated

No chance. Without being blunt, isn't it rather obvious that this wouldn't be a route into medicine? If you could just apply for course X and then attempt to change into medicine the moment you got to uni, don't you think everyone would be trying to do it thus via the backdoor?

Transfers into medicine from another subject are practically impossible now - a few courses offer a very limited number outstanding undergraduates who have completed their first year to transfer, but these are specific courses and have specific guidelines. In all other cases, this is not possible. If you want to actually do medicine, then you'd need to withdraw from your current course and reapply. Other options are to try to do GEM (frightfully competitive, and much more so than undergrad medicine), or do a second undergraduate in medicine after your current one (again, there are obvious financial implications of doing this).
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Thanks. I think i might do the biomedical science course and then try my luck with undergraduate medicine. I saw a post from a woman who did something like this and it doesn't sound like a bad idea (apart from the cost and the amount of time it takes)

U just ignored the advice that was given. Try to explain to your parents why you need to take a gap year. Because your current path means you are extremely unlikely to do Medicine
Reply 3
Hello.
I got an offer to study biomedical sciences with a modern language at the university of manchester. I really want to do medicine but i already got rejected from the universities i applied to because i didn't do well on my bmat (i only applied to bmat universities as i had my eyes set on UCL and Imperial college london). I would reapply but my parents don't want me to and I'm scared that i wouldn't do well and get rejected again. I was wondering if the university of manchester allows transfers from biomedical science to medicine in the first year as i saw nothing about this on their website but i did see someone on here talking about a transfer scheme within the university that allows that (the post was from 5 years ago). Any infromation and/or advice would be much appreciated

I do biomed at Manchester, and there was no opportunity to transfer to medicine in the first year (nor second year). I wouldn't bank on being able to transfer.
Hello.

As others have pointed out this is an extremely unlikely route to get onto a Medicine programme. Few universities do offer this as a route and that might be say just one or two spots and even then only if places become available and they (the medical schoo) decide they want to offer this. This isn't usually a route that is mandated or set in stone except for the old Clinical Sciences via Bradford Uni to Leeds route but not sure if that still happens. Realistically this is an impossible route.

You have a couple of options that I would recommend:

1) This is a more "straightforward" option: if you get the required A-Level grades then you could try your luck in clearing but there is close to a 0% chance of getting in this way. HOWEVER, with the grades you can always reapply the following year in a much stronger position knowing you already meet the academic requirements and giving you plenty of time to focus on the other factors that might have pulled you down be it extra-curricular factors, work experience, a strong reference, UCAT/BMAT performance, interview performance etc. Yes there is no guarantee of admission as with anything in life that is super competitive but there are things you can do to make yourself a stronger/the strongest possible candidate you could be to ensure your chances are much better the second time around. And believe me with the actual grades to hand you are in a significantly advantageous position. It may be helpeful to contact the universities that rejected you asking both for feedback and also if they would consider an application from you in the following cycle should you apply with the grades in hand. Many medical schools do like it when a candidate reapplies as it shows commitment to said school and especially if you went back and improved based on the feedback they offered. Conversely some schools do not consider reapplications and additionally don't consider you again if you got rejected after an interview.

That being said taking a gap year is the best option in a situation like this.

EDIT: OPTION 1.5) In the event you don't get the grades you would obviously need to make a choice as to whether or not you wish to re-sit and reapply for Medicine bearing in mind some schools won't accept re-sits and even then in certain situations: e.g. missed by one grade or only in two subjects, applied previously, had mitigation, etc. If obviously you deem that resitting would be futile because you wouldn't get the grades then you need to decide whether to do another degree. But I would still suggest resitting your A-Levels getting the grades and reapplying is a better option than the others (notwithstanding option 1).

2) You could go and do the biomedical sciences degree but then realistically you would need to get a 2:1 if not a 1st to then be eligible to apply for Medicine as a graduate (if you applied to a standard 5 year programme), or for a 4 year Graduate Entry Programme. The latter is exceptionally competitive to get into and more so than a standard programme and inevitably many graduates end up applying for the five year programme again. If indeed you had the grades to hand it makes every sense to try your chances again getting in via the school-leavers route rather than going via biomed. That's not to mention that doing biomed and apologies for generalising here: you will be in a cohort full of students who wanted to study Medicine or Dentistry instead and/or didn't get the grades or got rejected and some are very bitter about this and this can contirbute to an extremely demoralising environment, not to mention if everyone is thinking of aiming for a 1st to apply for Medicine then it contributes to a very cutthroat environment. Make sure you are prepared to endure that if Biomed is what you really want to do.

3) You could simply do another degree that you enjoy and have a decent career in that and return to Medicine later in life with some money and life experience behind you. Indeed, many medical schools accept non-science degrees for entry so if you did want to do something else don't be put off by that.

4) If you could afford to do so you could look at studying Medicine abroad in Europe. The "best" options imho would be the options in Cyprus or Malta or in Ireland but the Irish admissions process is statistically more difficult given it's based purely on grades and then selection by computer....if I'm not mistaken. An option like say Nicosia in Cyprus or Bart's in Malta isn't a cheap one and also means you're away from the UK and your family and no funding for Student Finance.

PERSONALLY: I recommed Option 1 as the best and only option. You are what only 17/18? A year of life spent trying to get onto the degree you really want to do, leading to the career you really want to do is a small sacrifice on the road to a 40 year plus career in Medicine. I am sure you can explain this to your parents and they will and should understand. You are not alone in this position and every year many students who are good enough to train to be doctors miss out. That being said I don't believe for one moment there isn't something you or an applicant can't do to improve their chances the following year or cycle. That's what it's ultimately about separating those can from those who can't: those who are prepared to go the extra-mile, not take no for an answer, self-reflect and improve, take on board feedback and advice and channel that into measurable improvements and progress.

Time is on your side and don't be so rash to opt for trickier and almost impossible options when the "easiest" option on paper is still very much on the table and far from being exhausted.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending