The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

Bath Spa - 2021 entry?

Hi,

So, basically, I've just had a really bad experience at uni this year and have ended up dropping out and taking a year out.

I'm looking into where to go next year and I'm trying to stick fairly local (somewhat difficult because the closest universities to me are at least an hours drive away). One place I've been looking at is Bath Spa for either Journalism and Publishing/Creative Writing and Publishing or History (Heritage and Public History).

I'd like to ask anyone who is at/has been to Bath Spa:

What are the wellbeing/mental health services there like?

How supportive are lecturers? How much work is wholly independent or based on self-research?

Is there support for people who struggle with self-research?

What is the uni life there like? I'm a quiet/anxious and sober person so I'm trying to avoid somewhere that's overly party-like.

If there's anything else of note that people feel would be useful to me as well as answers to these questions, I'd appreciate that. Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by userhep
Hi,

So, basically, I've just had a really bad experience at uni this year and have ended up dropping out and taking a year out.

I'm looking into where to go next year and I'm trying to stick fairly local (somewhat difficult because the closest universities to me are at least an hours drive away). One place I've been looking at is Bath Spa for either Journalism and Publishing/Creative Writing and Publishing or History (Heritage and Public History).

I'd like to ask anyone who is at/has been to Bath Spa:

What are the wellbeing/mental health services there like?

How supportive are lecturers? How much work is wholly independent or based on self-research?

Is there support for people who struggle with self-research?

What is the uni life there like? I'm a quiet/anxious and sober person so I'm trying to avoid somewhere that's overly party-like.

If there's anything else of note that people feel would be useful to me as well as answers to these questions, I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

Hi, so Ive only been here since September and I cant answer anything course related since Im on neither of the courses you mentioned

Wellbeing, depending on who you speak to, can be a bit hit or miss. I speak semi-frequently with a woman from wellbeing who is pretty good, but people in my flat have had poor experiences with them.

From what Ive gathered as an asocial person, there is quite a bit of party life which can be irritating, however, this is all dependent on how lucky you are with your flatmates, and you can always move! My first week here was spent in a flat full of people who would party extremely loudly from 7pm until maybe 5am, by that time theyd have all passed out. But I moved to a different room and my current flatmates are wonderful. Some of them enjoy the party scene, but they go TO the party, they dont bring it here (although that might be because the new room I'm in is one of 2 accessible rooms, and the other accessible room is being used by a disabled girl who also happens to be extremely lovely, so nobody really wants to bother her). It's unfortunately kind of dependent on who youre placed with. But again, you can always request to move.

Some other things:

The showers in the accommodation are a bit weird. At least in the house I'm in, which is a part of the Lakeside accommodations. There's no temperature control outside of the accessible rooms, literally every other room just has a button on the wall you have to press every 20 or so seconds to keep your shower going. Good for saving water, not great if you enjoy long showers with little hassle.

Also, as with wellbeing, security can be a bit hit or miss. Tonight we had a bit of an emergency in the flat and needed an ambulance, but we have to go through security first before we're allowed to get an ambulance. They took ages to respond, while this poor girl was lying on the floor in pain. But theyre pretty good if you want to submit a noise complaint.

There's also quite limited options for takeout, if that affects you. There's maybe 20 places that deliver to the uni on Just Eat. Most folks order from Dominos. The uni itself has a food delivery app from one of its two cafes. It's pretty handy, and the food is pretty good in a school meal kind of way.

Maintenance for rooms is pretty efficient, though. Once you log a fault in your room (hole in the ceiling, mold) they're on it pretty quick, and can get most things sorted in a couple of hours.

All in all, from what I've experienced so far, Id give this uni a solid 6.5/10. Not bad, but could definitely improve.

Newton Park campus itself is pretty though! The lakeside walk is great :smile:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so Ive only been here since September and I cant answer anything course related since Im on neither of the courses you mentioned

Wellbeing, depending on who you speak to, can be a bit hit or miss. I speak semi-frequently with a woman from wellbeing who is pretty good, but people in my flat have had poor experiences with them.

From what Ive gathered as an asocial person, there is quite a bit of party life which can be irritating, however, this is all dependent on how lucky you are with your flatmates, and you can always move! My first week here was spent in a flat full of people who would party extremely loudly from 7pm until maybe 5am, by that time theyd have all passed out. But I moved to a different room and my current flatmates are wonderful. Some of them enjoy the party scene, but they go TO the party, they dont bring it here (although that might be because the new room I'm in is one of 2 accessible rooms, and the other accessible room is being used by a disabled girl who also happens to be extremely lovely, so nobody really wants to bother her). It's unfortunately kind of dependent on who youre placed with. But again, you can always request to move.

Some other things:

The showers in the accommodation are a bit weird. At least in the house I'm in, which is a part of the Lakeside accommodations. There's no temperature control outside of the accessible rooms, literally every other room just has a button on the wall you have to press every 20 or so seconds to keep your shower going. Good for saving water, not great if you enjoy long showers with little hassle.

Also, as with wellbeing, security can be a bit hit or miss. Tonight we had a bit of an emergency in the flat and needed an ambulance, but we have to go through security first before we're allowed to get an ambulance. They took ages to respond, while this poor girl was lying on the floor in pain. But theyre pretty good if you want to submit a noise complaint.

There's also quite limited options for takeout, if that affects you. There's maybe 20 places that deliver to the uni on Just Eat. Most folks order from Dominos. The uni itself has a food delivery app from one of its two cafes. It's pretty handy, and the food is pretty good in a school meal kind of way.

Maintenance for rooms is pretty efficient, though. Once you log a fault in your room (hole in the ceiling, mold) they're on it pretty quick, and can get most things sorted in a couple of hours.

All in all, from what I've experienced so far, Id give this uni a solid 6.5/10. Not bad, but could definitely improve.

Newton Park campus itself is pretty though! The lakeside walk is great :smile:

Thank you so much for this reply! It's been super helpful and detailed and rlly insightful so I appreciate it!

Also, I wish you the best with the rest of your degree. Sounds like a decent time, so hope things keep going and going well.
Hi, I'm also a first year, I'm in Charlton Court accommodation which is off campus, I dont drink either, there are lots of lovely parks in bath (there is a nice small park by Pulteney Bridge which I reccomend in the summer) which are nice to walk around with friends, the high street is quite lively on the weekends but quieter on the weekends. There is a bus from Newton Park campus to Bath centre or a 25min walk from Waterside or Charlton court accommodation. I also recommend looking into the sports team or societies (especially during covid if possible) to meet new people, I joined the Hockey Club and they are all very understanding about not drinking etc and are very nice people. Hope all goes well.
Hi!
This post is quite old now but I just wanted to say I’m very like you and considering going to bath spa in clearing for 2021. I don’t drink and hate clubbing. Did you end up choosing bath spa. I also don’t want to go far so am considering others nearby me in the south.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending