The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ponjavic
I'm not applying for medicine but a friend is. I've seen 2 people now with 5/6 As at Alevel being rejected and I think it has to do with their BMATs.
Would someone with an offer please share their results?

I got 6.5 on both sections last year, if that means anything to you.
Reply 2
and essay?
yeah 6.5 seems to be more than what those candidates got
Pollo Loco
I got 6.5 on both sections last year, if that means anything to you.

Is that all..? I got 6.3 and 6.3... I'm sure you mentioned scores in the sevens - or at least one in the high sevens when I asked you..!

Most Girton medics whose scores I've asked about did a good bit worse than myself and Dan. I don't think the BMAT means too much really - I wrote an essay suggesting that we put down stupid people from council estates or something and they still let me in... I must point out that I had no preparation for exam and wasn't even at college at the time. I thought we had 30 mins to write as much as we could but it turned out we only had one side. I only found this out with about three lines to go and had to summarise in five or six squished up lines in the three remaining. I was going to say it's a bit extreme to put them all down but didn't really have space..! :redface:
ponjavic
and essay?

Essays weren't graded when Dan and I did it...
Reply 5
polthegael
Is that all..? I got 6.3 and 6.3... I'm sure you mentioned scores in the sevens - or at least one in the high sevens when I asked you..!

Most Girton medics whose scores I've asked about did a good bit worse than myself and Dan. I don't think the BMAT means too much really - I wrote an essay suggesting that we put down stupid people from council estates or something and they still let me in... I must point out that I had no preparation for exam and wasn't even at college at the time. I thought we had 30 mins to write as much as we could but it turned out we only had one side. I only found this out with about three lines to go and had to summarise in five or six squished up lines in the three remaining. I was going to say it's a bit extreme to put them all down but didn't really have space..! :redface:

Ok being all this secure, many are, sounds really confident but all to patronising. Do you believe that the other applicants did even worse or that you had some special quality that was enough? Many say that ohh I did this and that ridiculous mistake but still they beat the other candidates... I find this confuddling :P
ponjavic
Ok being all this secure, many are, sounds really confident but all to patronising. Do you believe that the other applicants did even worse or that you had some special quality that was enough? Many say that ohh I did this and that ridiculous mistake but still they beat the other candidates... I find this confuddling :P

Confuddling indeed.. :confused: :wink:

I may have gotten in because they thought, very wrongly, that mature students are better students on the whole... That, or they wanted to show that Girton is, as it claims to be, open to mature applicants. Either way, I may have been at a slight advantage because of my age.

Other than that, I have no idea how good the people who didn't get in were. All I know is that I have been the geeky, super-intelligent lazy freak who does no work all my life but still passes everything with exceptional marks.. Now, all of a sudden, I am well below average, still lazy, and on course to not make it through the year! Damn!

It's a bit of a lottery really when it comes down to it.. We are all really intelligent and I doubt that intelligence really comes into it - I'd say it's mainly down to the interview.
Reply 7
=D a lottery indeed
didn't notice you were mature, then it is a totally different story
Reply 8
polthegael

Don't think i did Pol. I had really bad flu on the day of the BMAT so i think i was lucky to get what i did and i certainly didn't do any better than that. I got the impression that the BMAT was a first screen and that it was just there to root out people who just couldn't handle the course before the interviews. I kinda thought that if you didn't do well enough in the BMAT, you didn't get an interview at all.

Dan
Pollo Loco
I kinda thought that if you didn't do well enough in the BMAT, you didn't get an interview at all.

Dan

They might have brought that in now and have had it at Oxford for a bit, but I thought Cambridge were committed to interviewing at least 95% of applicants...
polthegael
They might have brought that in now and have had it at Oxford for a bit, but I thought Cambridge were committed to interviewing at least 95% of applicants...

Yea the 95% of applicants can include othre subjects, so you can afford to lose a few from the BMAT if you interview everyone who applies for the other subjects like Geography and other doss about things.
Reply 11
polthegael

Is this a reason why 10 places for 40 applicants maybe shouldn't be considered all to dreadful. Atleast 20% of them should have lower grades and might have only been invited do to their policy. This only works if you yourself have a perfect grade (which I do).
God I wanna get in badly now.
Hi there, I got an offer for Medicine at Emmanuel (2005 entry) yesterday.

My BMAT scores were:

Remember that the distribution of results changes each year, so the number of people with a certain score (and consequently what is considered a good score) will change from year to year.
werlop

Remember that the distribution of results changes each year, so the number of people with a certain score (and consequently what is considered a good score) will change from year to year.

It looked like there were fewer good scores this year from the tables they put up on the internet... I should have gone to Emma! Only joking Girtonians... I really like ducks but I'm not that keen on pretentious ****s :wink:
Reply 14
still find it weird that the chinese girl didn't get in, allthough she had some language problems...
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=908
polthegael
...but I'm not that keen on pretentious ****s :wink:

lol what do you mean? :confused:
Reply 16
ponjavic
still find it weird that the chinese girl didn't get in, allthough she had some language problems...
http://oa.waveflex.com/profiles/prof_disp.asp?id=908

the level of competition for international medics is actually ridiculous beyond comprehension though. With a total of two places every three colleges, the 'normal' oxbridge lottery becomes a complete crapshoot, particularly as so many fantastically bright internationals apply in disproportionate numbers to medicine (more than say, for NatSci, though i could be wrong on this)
Reply 17
polthegael

Cambridge do not get to see your Bmat scores before the interview. I got the interview letter a few days after I did my Bmat.

My results were 5.7, 2.9 :redface: and 7.5. Unsurprisingly I got rejected from Caius yesterday. I am lucky in a way because my other 3 choices don't want applicants to do Bmat :biggrin:. BTW I got AAAAB at AS so I do think BMAT results are important. Also my interview went alright in my opinion and according to a lot of ppl my personnal statement is great so that only leaves BMAT.

Oh yea i messed up Section 2 because I started spending too much time on a few hard questions and then I looked up and there was only about 5/10 minutes left and I had another 3/4 of the paper to do yet so I guessed about 60% of the paper :frown:. Damn you BMAT.
Reply 18
I don't think they are giving BMAT any overiding control on wheter you get in. Its only its 2nd year, so you'd think they would still be 'testing' it, I know that RVC and Bristol for VetMed are only using it as a trial atm.
At least I hope Cambridge are as my BMAT scores were only average as far as I remember. :frown:
Reply 19
I got 5.3,4.8 and 9 for BMAT.Got accepted yesterday for vet med at gonville and caius.

Latest

Trending

Trending