The Student Room Group

Official: Oxford A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Welcome to the University of Oxford A100 2024 Entry Discussion.

For general information and entry requirements click:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/medicine

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I feel like my A-Levels are just not good enough for a competitive application to Oxford. I'm on A*A*A in Pysch Bio and Chem in that order. Doing only 3 alevels and not getting all *s and not doing maths makes me feel like I won't be considered well. Is this true/ish? Thanks.
Original post by BigTing432
Hi! I feel like my A-Levels are just not good enough for a competitive application to Oxford. I'm on A*A*A in Pysch Bio and Chem in that order. Doing only 3 alevels and not getting all *s and not doing maths makes me feel like I won't be considered well. Is this true/ish? Thanks.

it's not true - oxford don't score a levels. they score only on gcses and bmat.
Reply 3
Original post by reubenn05
it's not true - oxford don't score a levels. they score only on gcses and bmat.

You're making me feel a lot better already! I think I'm just stressing ALOT lol. Thanks!
In my gcses i got 11 9/8/A*s but i got a 7 in english literature meaning my percentage of A*s is below the average oxford applicant so what bmat score should i be aiming for to compensate for this and have a high chance of getting invited to interview?
Reply 5
Original post by Tk1234509876
In my gcses i got 11 9/8/A*s but i got a 7 in english literature meaning my percentage of A*s is below the average oxford applicant so what bmat score should i be aiming for to compensate for this and have a high chance of getting invited to interview?

Well everybody with an Oxford BMAT score >75 was interviewed
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Please may I ask if having 10 GCSE’s (all 9 though) a disadvantage for Oxford?
I read somewhere that number of GCSE’s also gets scored?

Thank you for your kind response
Reply 7
Original post by srmedi2224
Please may I ask if having 10 GCSE’s (all 9 though) a disadvantage for Oxford?
I read somewhere that number of GCSE’s also gets scored?

Thank you for your kind response

See the link posted immediately above your post
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
See the link posted immediately above your post

Thank you @GANFYD. I did go through but had some trouble understanding, hence asked.

I’m not sure if my understanding is correct. It says BMAT was only used for shortlisting. It also says about GCSE and BMAT together.

Very confusing to me at least. I’ll read it again to see. If this can be clarified if possible that’s be appreciated. Thanks
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 9
Thank you @GANFYD. I did go through but had some trouble understanding, hence asked.

I’m not sure if my understanding is correct. It says BMAT was only used for shortlisting. It also says about GCSE and BMAT together.

Very confusing to me at least. I’ll read it again to see. If this can be clarified if possible that’s be appreciated. Thanks

Historically, Oxford have used both GCSEs and the BMAT for shortlisting, but during Covid, with tags and cags, they simply went to BMAT. They have now gone back to using GCSEs as well and there are tables on that link that show you the likelihood of an interview and an offer with each number and percentage of A* GCSEs
Ah! Ok! Thank you very much. Sincerely appreciate your time. Thank you!
Reply 11
Hello, is it a good idea to apply with an A* in bio and not chem
Gcses:
Preds:
A*AAA (bio, chem, maths, psych)
I also got an A in my epq which was linked to neonatal medicine
Will they consider my application if I get a really high bmat score? I think I could get a high 6 or low 7 in s1 and s2
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi guys, does anyone know how much good gcses can balance a lower BMAT score? I'm getting around a 6.5 average in section 1 but only 5.2 in section 2, which is bringing my average down a lot. I have decent gcses, but I don't know if I should be counting on them to balance my (so far) bmat scores.

And also do they differentiate between 8s and 9s
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi guys any idea what total BMAT % is likely to get Oxford interview this year? Thank you.
Reply 14
Anyone received an interview ?
I think last year the interview invites came out on the Tuesday following the BMAT results so expect to hear next week, I presume
Original post by GANFYD
Historically, Oxford have used both GCSEs and the BMAT for shortlisting, but during Covid, with tags and cags, they simply went to BMAT. They have now gone back to using GCSEs as well and there are tables on that link that show you the likelihood of an interview and an offer with each number and percentage of A* GCSEs

Hi @GANFYD Please can I ask if Oxford looks at a minimum in Section 2 when deciding for interview? Or is it only aggregate?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by BigTing432

You’re doing well
Reply 18
Hi @GANFYD Please can I ask if Oxford looks at a minimum in Section 2 when deciding for interview? Or is it only aggregate?

They detail how they score BMAT on the website, with the weightings for each section. They use the aggregate score in shortlisting and I am not aware of a minimum requirement anywhere, though do not 100% know there is not one!
Original post by GANFYD
They detail how they score BMAT on the website, with the weightings for each section. They use the aggregate score in shortlisting and I am not aware of a minimum requirement anywhere, though do not 100% know there is not one!

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending