The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some medical schools do accept 17 year olds.
Yea :ditto:

Your choice just becomes limited!
Reply 3
Imperial and UCL doesn't and those are my top 2 choices... =( what should i do?
Reply 4
aznsenso

Can you not apply for deferred entry and say in your PS what you plan to do with it? I really don't know, I don't have much knowledge in this area.

Ring admissions tutors and see. :smile:
aznsenso

Just apply elsewhere?? It's the subject that matters really...
Gap Year then apply? Otherwise apply to other places which do allow 17 yearolds
Reply 7
aznsenso

Amazed that a med applicant would actually have to ask.... common sense would say apply for deferred entry or apply a year later.
Reply 8
Some unis like Imperial say that "'deferred entry applicants are not normally accepted""
Reply 9
You're a special case therefor ring them up and have a chat. I'm sure they'll be accomodating and help you work out your options.
Reply 10
Shouldn't anyone born after September '91 be a year behind anyway? Therefore not applying to uni yet?
Reply 11
Rennie
Shouldn't anyone born after September '91 be a year behind anyway? Therefore not applying to uni yet?

Some people are a year underaged at school for whatever reason.

OP, I'd suggest taking a gap year, and do something you'd enjoy. An extra year's life experience goes a long way. It certainly helped me out...! I was in your position and applied for deferred entry.
Reply 12
Rennie

Scotland. Plus people who skipped a year when they were about 5.
Reply 13
aznsenso
Some unis like Imperial say that "'deferred entry applicants are not normally accepted""

Ahhhh I get you... speak to the admissions tutor, I would imagine if you manage to get an offer they'd give you it for the next year anyway seeing as you wouldn't be able to start the course that year. I know at some they state that you have to be 18 by the time you start the course, but are welcome to apply earlier with deferred entry. They're either going to tell you thats how it'll work or tell you to apply in a years time.
Reply 14
Dionysus
Scotland. Plus people who skipped a year when they were about 5.

Ah, right. I didn't know that was the case. You learn something new every day...
I'm going to be in this situation, and I'm applying for 2009 entry anyway (I'd never know otherwise, and I'd rather not take a gap year if I didn't have to), also, I'll be 18 within six weeks of term starting - I'd understand the gap year with more than a couple of months before you turned 18.

I've emailed everywhere I'm applying and then some, and the only ones which WON'T take 17 year olds are UCL, Imperial, Barts, Peninsula and St George's. Everywhere else doesn't really give a toss, at least that's not the impression I got at open days and emailing admissions tutors.

There's someone on here (Blue Roses, I think), who's seventeen and off to Newcastle medicine this year?? People do it, and as long as you don't go to Scotland, you're not expected to be any less than 18.

All that being said, I realise that however good I might be (and I'm certainly not the BEST out there), when it comes down to it, my age may very well count against me, what with this level of competition.

All I can do is give it my best shot, and try again next year after having a fabulous gap year if it doesn't work out :smile:
Reply 16
I'd leave it a year, its not really a big deal. Makes life easier. 18 is really pushing it as an age to start medschool anyway, 17 to me is just far too young. There's a whole other life you'll be away from in medicine and its good to take a chance to see that. I don't mean paying some charity to go poverty surfing in the third world, I mean just being 17.
I'm only 17 in May :frown:

Applying:

UCL - Deferred entry
Nottingham - plainly won't get in with my UKCAT fail
Birmingham - got a chance, no?
Liverpool - Backup plan.
Democracy
Some medical schools do accept 17 year olds.

Last I heard; you had to be at-least seventeen and a half at time of entry to the course or become eighteen soonish after.
Reply 19
It's a GMC thing to be 3 months til your 18th or older... How med schools interpret that is up to them, some have a definite no policy, some use the 1st Sept, while others use the 17 and 9 months thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending