The Student Room Group

Electric only house bills

So we just got a bill for £580.. and we've only been here for 2.5 months.
We've used 3.4k kwh.
Does this sound normal? it's an electric-only flat. We have 3 people.

Dishwasher
Washing machine
Electric hob and oven
and hot water ofc

What do you guys get for your kwh etc?
Thanks
Original post by mathboy3495
We've used 3.4k kwh.

Dishwasher
Washing machine
Electric hob and oven
and hot water ofc

Thanks

You're using ~450kWh per person, per month, or ~1400kWh per month From the numbers in the link below, that's in the range for a small household. Working from home will have increased it.

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/average-energy-bill
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
You're using ~450kWh per person, per month, or ~1400kWh per month From the numbers in the link below, that's in the range for a small household. Working from home will have increased it.

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/average-energy-bill

so is that like a normal price? since it's only 3 people

EDIT: nvm the one you linked has annual ones. so we've been using a lot but I have no idea how?
(edited 3 years ago)
EDIT: nvm the one you linked has annual ones. so we've been using a lot but I have no idea how?

You're right - I'd missed that. Wow.

Did you read the meter when you moved in? I'd be tempted to read it regularly now, to keep an eye on it.

Is your heating gas? Doesn't that heat the hot water too?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
You're right - I'd missed that. Wow.

Did you read the meter when you moved in? I'd be tempted to read it regularly now, to keep an eye on it.

Is your heating gas? Doesn't that heat the hot water too?

Ye we compared it with our picture and it seems right. I will start reading it regularly now.
Nothing is gas in the house. everything is electric.
Ye we compared it with our picture and it seems right. I will start reading it regularly now.
Nothing is gas in the house. everything is electric.

It's bound to be high if it includes heating. What temperature do you heat to? That will make a huge difference, especially over the winter, as will high hot water usage.

Your annual usage is therefore ~16,000 kWh, extrapolating from the last 2.5 (cooler) months. It doesn't seem that far out from the annual figures (gas + electricity) on the earlier link. IIRC, electricity is more expensive than gas for the energy though.
We've used 3.4k kwh.

Dishwasher
Washing machine
Electric hob and oven
and hot water ofc

Thanks

You are using a lot of electricity at a slightly expensive 17p per KWh. In my household of two (in a four bedroom house) we use about 4,000 to 4,400 KWh annually, at 15p per KWh, but we also use 20,000KWh of gas for heating (at 2.8p per KWh). A small house might use only half that amount of heating gas, meaning a total consumption of, say, 15,000 KWh annually. Your energy usage is in line with that, in broad terms, but you are only using expensive electricity and not cheap gas.

It seems likely that your heating, which you do not mention, is burning the money, or someone has a large number of gadgets in use.
That sounds like a lot. How big is the place you're in? Does it have high ceilings? That makes it more expensive to heat. Do you leave lights constantly on? How often and for how long is the heating on? To what temperature do you have it?
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke
You are using a lot of electricity at a slightly expensive 17p per KWh. In my household of two (in a four bedroom house) we use about 4,000 to 4,400 KWh annually, at 15p per KWh, but we also use 20,000KWh of gas for heating (at 2.8p per KWh). A small house might use only half that amount of heating gas, meaning a total consumption of, say, 15,000 KWh annually. Your energy usage is in line with that, in broad terms, but you are only using expensive electricity and not cheap gas.

It seems likely that your heating, which you do not mention, is burning the money, or someone has a large number of gadgets in use.

ye i think it's the heating thats causing it.
Reply 9
Original post by AzureCeleste
That sounds like a lot. How big is the place you're in? Does it have high ceilings? That makes it more expensive to heat. Do you leave lights constantly on? How often and for how long is the heating on? To what temperature do you have it?

it's a flat with 3 rooms/living room/kitchen+1 bathroom
not very big but i think the heating did cause the issue because we do leave it on overnight. to about 24-26C
not very big but i think the heating did cause the issue because we do leave it on overnight. to about 24-26C

You pay more for your lecky then I pay for electricity, gas, water & internet combined for a 4 person house.
So id say that is rather a lot for 1 bill

You really should not need to be going much above 18-20 C at night. That's ridiculously high a temperature.

Also, set a timer on it? It doesn't need to be on constantly, and certainly not overnight e.g. 11pm-5am at least.

Wow, that is way to warm to be living in, never mind sleeping. It should be between 18-20 degrees. I don't understand how you can sleep in that temperature.
For contrast, my flat is set at 18 degrees, and we have the heating on once a day for an hour. If we feel cold, then we just turn it on briefly.
Original post by Paralove
You really should not need to be going much above 18-20 C at night. That's ridiculously high a temperature.

Also, set a timer on it? It doesn't need to be on constantly, and certainly not overnight e.g. 11pm-5am at least.

ill use the heater less often now thanks.
lesson learned i guess
Original post by AzureCeleste
Wow, that is way to warm to be living in, never mind sleeping. It should be between 18-20 degrees. I don't understand how you can sleep in that temperature.
For contrast, my flat is set at 18 degrees, and we have the heating on once a day for an hour. If we feel cold, then we just turn it on briefly.

I think the heater is a bit different for our one. It's set at 26c but i think it keeps the room at 21c so it turns off here and there. It's a Haverland heater.

Most sane people turn their heating off at night, usually with a timer. No wonder you are worried at the cost.
it's a flat with 3 rooms/living room/kitchen 1 bathroom

That's hot. Buying jumpers and duvets would be cheaper ..

We heat to 20C when required (California), but overnight our heating is set to 15C - it doesn't come on though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
We've used 3.4k kwh.

Dishwasher
Washing machine
Electric hob and oven
and hot water ofc

Thanks

I have 1.5Kw 3 Govee heaters, Water heater, 1 bosh dehumidifier , 2KW induction stove and a dryer, total power consumption 22.7KW per day if we don't use dryer if we use dryer 29KW. Total bill £235-280 Month. DEC 2023.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending