The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think your parents are the real problem here. They assume that you should perform and achieve as much as your brother did. That kind of burden is only going to make you feel like you're underperforming in everything you do. Therefore, you'll lose enthusiasm and hope.

You've got to set your own targets that are based on your ability and not your brothers. My parents expected me to get similar A2 grades to my brother (AAAB) and I ended up getting (BBB) and told them to deal with it. All that mattered to me is that I got into the Uni that I wanted to go to and that I achieved the entry requirements for the course.
Reply 21
TBH GCSEs are forgotten about this time next year, unless you want to apply for Oxbridge + LSE (maybe) :smile:
Don't feel confident. It's as simple as that.
cuddles x
But the sixth form im at MAKES you choose 4 Then on top of that you have to do General Studies. so that makes 5

so the least you can do is : 5 As 4Alevels.

Same thing at my school. But some were allowed to do 3 + 1. You will be fine if you dont leave everything to the last minute, except for GS.
Reply 24
!MEna
Don't feel confident. It's as simple as that.

The more confident you are the better you do - I'd rather be confident than nervous :smile:
Zygroth
The more confident you are the better you do - I'd rather be confident than nervous :smile:
It's the other way round here. :p:
Reply 26
i was predicated same as you for GCSE's

and got 1A 9B's and a C

so im gonna milk these AS levels dry! (Chem, Phy, Bio and Mathematics)
cuddles x

Then results day came and i got the shock of my like and failed. i got 10'bs and a C Which is not good enough for me. and what my parents kept on asking was 'what went wrong'?

I don't think the grades you have are bad, you've not failed. You got what most people get. In terms of your personal target you have failed to reach it but don't think you've failed overall as you've got solid grades.
cuddles x
Here's my Problem:

I thought i did well after i sat my GCSE's i felt confident that i revised enough and sat the paper and though i did well and was confiedent i was going to reach my predicted grades (5As' 5's 1c) and honestly i did beleive i was going to get it. Then results day came and i got the shock of my like and failed. i got 10'bs and a C Which is not good enough for me. and what my parents kept on asking was 'what went wrong'?

So i thought right i have to work extra hard for Alevels now and get my 5A's.
But then i thought what if i set my exams in june and think yeah i did fine same as GCSE's and them come out with all C's or B's.

i just dont trust my judgment no more. for Gcse's i thought i did well. What if that happens in Alevels as well.
i want to prevent it.

any ideas ?

Firstly you havn't failed...

secondly a-levels are a different ball game to gcse's, you need to prepare yourself for failure..i got a u in one psychology module in january yr12, and still ended up with an A in the subject come results day this year..

Just set yourself reachable goals...you need to learn new skills and knowledge at a-level so it's never the same.
Reply 29
!MEna
It's the other way round here. :p:

Haha, I try not to be. If I'm nervous I wont be able to think or write properly, which isn't good for an exam :p:
OP, in your sixthform - so if someone got say all Cs at GCSE, they would still make them do 4 subjects plus GS? :s-smilie: When I was at college, you needed to have an average of at least 7 in your GCSEs if you wanted to do 5 AS levels and an average of at least 6 to do 4 AS levels. If you had an average of 7 and over, but wanted to only do 4 subjects, you were moer than welcome to do so:smile:[A*]. It's just that there is usually a fairly strong correlation [especially if you want 5 A grades...] between performance at GCSE and performance at A-level. However, there are and have been exceptions where people perform poorly at GCSE and do brilliantly at A-level. Your grades are alright - you have not failed!!

Most of the advice has already been given by other users on this thread. My advice would be, stay consistent with your work throught the year. Do extra work/revision/studying if you are not given any homework and give yourself more than enough preparation for your final examinations.

Good luck:smile:
Just don't revise for General Studies... universities don't take it into account when making offers, especially top ones like UCL. Basically, you're doing 4AS and that's fine. Just drop one at A2.
Reply 32
Eternity Forever
OP, in your sixthform - so if someone got say all Cs at GCSE, they would still make them do 4 subjects plus GS? :s-smilie: When I was at college, you needed to have an average of at least 7 in your GCSEs if you wanted to do 5 AS levels and an average of at least 6 to do 4 AS levels. If you had an average of 7 and over, but wanted to only do 4 subjects, you were moer than welcome to do so:smile:[A*]. It's just that there is usually a fairly strong correlation [especially if you want 5 A grades...] between performance at GCSE and performance at A-level. However, there are and have been exceptions where people perform poorly at GCSE and do brilliantly at A-level. Your grades are alright - you have not failed!!

Most of the advice has already been given by other users on this thread. My advice would be, stay consistent with your work throught the year. Do extra work/revision/studying if you are not given any homework and give yourself more than enough preparation for your final examinations.

Good luck:smile:

if someone got all C's they wouldnt get into the sixth form.
Reply 33
OP, I'm going to deviate from what some people are saying on here. I know you're gutted with your GCSEs, but if you work hard you can still aim for 5 As. But you do have to work very hard, and I mean taking any oppurtunity to go over and consolidate work you've done before, plenty of past papers etc.

But don't lose hope! It certainly seems you have the drive to do well at AS.
cuddles x
if someone got all C's they wouldnt get into the sixth form.

What's the minimum that the students need to get [or infact to get into the sixthform...] for the school to "MAKE" them do 5 subjects?:s-smilie:
Reply 35
Eternity Forever
What's the minimum that the students need to get [or infact to get into the sixthform...] for the school to "MAKE" them do 5 subjects?:s-smilie:

min of B's do any subject plus 8 A*-C grades
Reply 36
that's the problem with asian parents
they push you and when you fail they think low of you
dont go by your parents, just work hard by yourself for yourself
i feel pressure from asian parents and family, but they are nothing, if they think having good grades is amazing then they should go and do some bloody exams...
just ignore everything in the form of pressure and 'pushyness' and just work hard yourself
forget general studies, just thrown that out of your mind
your 4 a level are the standard... if you get AABB then you're sorted for life, dont aim for AAAAA and the top university if you dont want to... you'll just feel despressed when you dont fulfil your own requirement (let alone the families expectations...)
the main thing is to ignore the family pressures and just work to your max, and if your max is BBBB then so be it, not everyone in this world can get AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA and study at UCL etc.
Reply 37
You have a lot more time to focus on the specifics at A Level. But if you don't poke your ****** once or twice you won't get A Grades.

Latest