The Student Room Group

Vet med SAQ

Any tips on the supplementary assessment questionnaires that you fill out for vet med. I would like to find some examples of it as I can’t find anything online
Reply 1
The reason you can’t find anything online is because most universities make applicants agree not to share any information about them because it can give some people an unfair advantage if they know what to write.
It is essentially just there to provide more information for the universities about you and your suitability to be a vet. You don’t need to do any prep for it as you will have a couple of days to fill it in and just need to be honest and open when you write your answers.
Hope this helps!
Agree with above. My tips to prepare are to make a list of 'good vet student traits' such as organisation, empathy, team working, determination, observation etc etc and focus on these in your answers - after all, the admissions team is looking for students who will last on the intense course. I would approach questions in a point, evidence, explain fashion in your head at least - point of the trait, back it up with how you have shown this trait in your work experience/extra-curriculars/school/personal life, explain why this makes you a good vet student and future vet. E.g. team working, during my placement at a stables we did x tasks in a team and I was good at this in the scenario of x, this helps me because as a vet I would have to work in a team with other vet staff - obviously word this better but you get the gist. Or instead of evidence you've done for say clinical work experience, you can say scenarios you've seen vets do, e.g. taking more time/showing empathy in an euthanasia consult. Don't focus on I've mucked out 156 stables to date, or I know the drugs used for anaesthesia, or I know the steps in a spay - vet schools will teach you all of the knowledge and practical components so aren't looking for you to already know that, but they can't teach you to have the right characteristics from the start to make you succeed so will be looking for students who already demonstrate these at least to some degree. Don't get too hung up on 'what the vet schools want to hear' - be honest, every vet school likes a different type of applicant hence getting all offers is fairly rare. If it's an ethical dilemma thing, do use your own real opinion, there is no right or wrong answer, but make sure to back up your opinion with 'why', and explore the other opinions, but go back to why you think you're correct.
Reply 3
Ahh ok, thank you!

Original post by 16hdennis
The reason you can’t find anything online is because most universities make applicants agree not to share any information about them because it can give some people an unfair advantage if they know what to write.
It is essentially just there to provide more information for the universities about you and your suitability to be a vet. You don’t need to do any prep for it as you will have a couple of days to fill it in and just need to be honest and open when you write your answers.
Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by RambleAmple
Agree with above. My tips to prepare are to make a list of 'good vet student traits' such as organisation, empathy, team working, determination, observation etc etc and focus
on these in your answers - after all, the admissions team is looking for students who will last on the intense course. I would approach questions in a point, evidence, explain fashion in your head at least - point of the trait, back it up with how you have shown this trait in your work experience/extra-curriculars/school/personal life, explain why this makes you a good vet student and future vet. E.g. team working, during my placement at a stables we did x tasks in a team and I was good at this in the scenario of x, this helps me because as a vet I would have to work in a team with other vet staff - obviously word this better but you get the gist. Or instead of evidence you've done for say clinical work experience, you can say scenarios you've seen vets do, e.g. taking more time/showing empathy in an euthanasia consult. Don't focus on I've mucked out 156 stables to date, or I know the drugs used for anaesthesia, or I know the steps in a spay - vet schools will teach you all of the knowledge and practical components so aren't looking for you to already know that, but they can't teach you to have the right characteristics from the start to make you succeed so will be looking for students who already demonstrate these at least to some degree. Don't get too hung up on 'what the vet schools want to hear' - be honest, every vet school likes a different type of applicant hence getting all offers is fairly rare. If it's an ethical dilemma thing, do use your own real opinion, there is no right or wrong answer, but make sure to back up your opinion with 'why', and explore the other opinions, but go back to why you think you're correct.

thank you!!! This was very helpful
Reply 5
Original post by alb8544
Any tips on the supplementary assessment questionnaires that you fill out for vet med. I would like to find some examples of it as I can’t find anything online

was the SAQ timed?
Reply 6
Original post by dddxr_
was the SAQ timed?

no idea
Reply 7
Original post by dddxr_
was the SAQ timed?

I had a couple of days to fill mine out, but I don’t know if this varies between different universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending