The Student Room Group

Diverse northern universities

Can someone who (preferably) lives in the north of england tell me how diverse some of the main cities are there (like york, liverpool, hull etc). Wanted to go and experience some of the cities in person because I want to travel far for university but Corona has stopped my plans. I just dont want to be the only ethnic minority in a five mile radius because my culture is quite different from british culture ie drinking, one night stands that kinda thing so i dont want to feel left out. Thanks
Original post by Jingbah
Can someone who (preferably) lives in the north of england tell me how diverse some of the main cities are there (like york, liverpool, hull etc). Wanted to go and experience some of the cities in person because I want to travel far for university but Corona has stopped my plans. I just dont want to be the only ethnic minority in a five mile radius because my culture is quite different from british culture ie drinking, one night stands that kinda thing so i dont want to feel left out. Thanks

Hi @Jingbah :hello:

I have always found Liverpool to be a very diverse city, with lots of different cultures! You can find out a little more about the city here.

I understand that it's a bit of a pain not being able to look around cities yourself. However, please feel free to drop into one of our Virtual Open Days if you would like to chat to some students who study in Liverpool. Our next one is coming up on Wednesday 9th December.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Melissa :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi @Jingbah :hello:

I have always found Liverpool to be a very diverse city, with lots of different cultures! You can find out a little more about the city here.

I understand that it's a bit of a pain not being able to look around cities yourself. However, please feel free to drop into one of our Virtual Open Days if you would like to chat to some students who study in Liverpool. Our next one is coming up on Wednesday 9th December.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Melissa :biggrin:

Thanks!
Hey. I live pretty close to Leeds, and that is a really diverse city. There's lots of different people with different backgrounds and different cultures. The areas/towns around it too are also extremely diverse.
Reply 4
Original post by not.a.tree
Hey. I live pretty close to Leeds, and that is a really diverse city. There's lots of different people with different backgrounds and different cultures. The areas/towns around it too are also extremely diverse.

I am in interested in Leeds University, is the stereotype about their students being mainly conservative and there being a drug problem there accurate or should I not believe the gossip? Thanks for your response
Original post by Jingbah
I am in interested in Leeds University, is the stereotype about their students being mainly conservative and there being a drug problem there accurate or should I not believe the gossip? Thanks for your response

I don't go to Leeds as a university student but I would assume that the students aren't really that conservative, although it may depend on which university in Leeds you decide to go to (there's like 4). As for the drug problem, I don't really know sorry.
The area isn't that conservative either - like most of the MP's from Leeds and surrounding areas are Labour, but you have the odd Conservative MP here and there because of the 2019 election.
Original post by Jingbah
Thanks!

No problem, glad to help :h:
Original post by Jingbah

Do u want one night stands?

also York is the place where the first person brought coronavirus from
Original post by Jingbah

Was the bolded really necessary to add? 🙄

Yeah yeah we get it, you think you’re better than all white people
She wants one night stands
Original post by Jingbah

Hi Jingbah,

I thought I'd add in something from students perceptive at the University of Liverpool! I have always thought that Liverpool is really diverse both within the student community and more widely within the City. The Guild of Students (our SU) has a load of different societies for many cultures/communities/religions which might be worth you looking at here:https://www.liverpoolguild.org/groups

Furthermore, I'd say that there are loads of activities in the city and the University which don't involve drinking, you might have a different picture of what goes, and some of this definitely occurs...but there is massive diversity in Liverpool so you'll quickly find people and things to do which don't involve drinking!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Was the bolded really necessary to add? 🙄

Yeah yeah we get it, you think you’re better than all white people

I didnt even realise that part was bolded haha. I dont im not a racist i just dont wanna feel lonely thats all
Original post by Jingbah
I didnt even realise that part was bolded haha. I dont im not a racist i just dont wanna feel lonely thats all

nobody wants you here
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
nobody wants you here

Thats welcoming...
Original post by Jingbah

Hi @Jingbah,
I would always recommend Sheffield as a city of diverse culture with a welcoming feel. There is something for everyone to explore and enjoy and being a student here, I really got a sense of community.
Sheffield Hallam University takes pride in its diversity and ensures that all voices are heard. Issues of racism (hidden and obvious) and exclusion are always talked about in constructive and open ways amongst students and staff, which makes the sense of togetherness stronger. There are also social groups run by different ethnic minorities, where you could find like minded people.
Here's a link to some recordings of our virtual open day: https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/open-day
I hope you find what's right for you!
Grace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending