The Student Room Group

Medicine Route: Switching from GP to Surgical Training

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
I don't really understand the point you're making. If your decision to become a surgeon (which is a decision for you as an individual) results in your partner eventually ending the relationship, that is not your fault for not discussing it sufficiently beforehand - it just means you had an unsupportive partner.

"Some men are perhaps not as supportive of women becoming surgeons when they realise how much dedication of time and energy it needs"

This is 100% the guy's problem.

I'm saying that It's important to have a stable relationship and be on the same page with a SO before having children, because it's a big commitment to balance with surgical training. That means making decisions with a partner, coming to an agreement and sticking to it before you pursue them. I never said anyone's relationships will end over not discussing it. But if a partner makes a career decision that necessitates their SO picking up more responsibilities with raising children, without discussing it with them in advance - I doubt this SO would be happy that they weren't kept in the loop about it. This is assuming that the OP already has a man, because I don't know if they do.

Yes, so if a man is not supportive then it is his problem, I agree. That's why they should be talking about it, realising any problems early on and working them out well in advance of having children. Isn't that what couples are supposed to do? You never know - a man might not be financially stable enough to support children by the time his girlfriend/wife wants to have them. Hence why I said I would argue it's better to start surgical training first and have children later on. In the same way that it's the decisions of 2 people when to have children, so too it should be the decisions of 2 people on how to support each other through balancing demanding careers with raising children.
Original post by asif007

Also, something that nobody has mentioned so far: do you have a man? Doesn't he have an opinion about this? Some men are perhaps not as supportive of women becoming surgeons when they realise how much dedication of time and energy it needs, particularly if they aren't also doctors. Have you discussed this with your man?

...what if OP is gay? Or committed to single parenthood, and has a realistic plan for making that work?
I also don't see why you're assuming OP wouldn't talk to their partner - they weren't asking for relationship advice, just about how NHS career pathways work. You seem to have assumed OP isn't going to tell their partner that they want to have kids and be a surgeon, for no reason?
Original post by becausethenight
...what if OP is gay? Or committed to single parenthood, and has a realistic plan for making that work?
I also don't see why you're assuming OP wouldn't talk to their partner - they weren't asking for relationship advice, just about how NHS career pathways work. You seem to have assumed OP isn't going to tell their partner that they want to have kids and be a surgeon, for no reason?

If you go back and read my post #20, you'll see that I very clearly mentioned the OP is entitled to become a single parent if they so wish. I have already acknowledged this - you don't need to tell me again. If they have a partner already, the same courtesy of keeping your partner in the loop about career decisions that involve raising children still applies whether they are straight, gay, transgender, whatever - your point about "what if OP is gay?" is irrelevant.

Let's get one thing straight: I am not assuming anything. All I asked is whether this person has discussed their career plans with a partner or not. You seem to be taking very small sections of my comments out of context, given that in my first 2 paragraphs of post #18 I have been quite supportive of this person becoming a surgeon. So far the discussion has only been about what OP wants and what OP should do, when it may very well involve 2 people raising children, not just one. Consider the bigger picture.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 23
Medica1studenf
Hi I am just curious so what you ended up doing?I am in a similar situation now. Completed GP training and have done out of hours now for past 1.5 years, money is good but GP abuse is not something I like well no one will like they are being blamed for management errors. Anyway I am considering to get into speciality which I like but it will be back to hospital , more hours and the main factor less pay , not just less but pennies. Just curious what did you decide
Hi, so I posted this back when I was still in medical school. I graduated last year and I’m working as an FY1 equivalent doctor now, so I still haven’t reached the stage of having to make that decision yet!

I think my mindset regarding the children side of things still hasn’t changed (I want to be as young of a mum as possible & whenever I do have them, I want to be there looking after them 24:7 for the first few years of their life), but I have begun to consider the kind of work-life balance I want as well after facing the realities of treatment of JDs in the NHS. I just don’t think I want to suffer through the turmoil that surgical training puts their trainees through anymore. My priorities have changed in that sense.

So my plan now, once I finish my foundation years, is to take FY3, FY4, etc. years buying myself some time to properly decide on a speciality I love but also one that allows me the lifestyle I want too.

I’d love to hear what you decide to do though, as it could help me in the future when I reach that point in my career! :-)
Original post by Medica1Student
Thanks for your advice! I’m just a little scared by that option, if I’m being completely honest. From what I hear, surgical training is hostile and competitive enough as it is, so I can’t begin to imagine how belittling they’d be to someone who’s doing LTFT. I’ve already been told I’ve not got a strong enough personality to be a surgeon, so I can’t imagine how I’d feel having already been put at a disadvantaged position to my colleagues.

I think stereotype attitudes are being pretty heavily encouraged to change. Ltft becoming more common. Go with your preference career , and then when kids are on the horizon make the call about ltft.
Reply 26
Hi

That’s is a good call I think. For me as if for now I will stick with GP work and atleast get paid. 14 an hour won’t be able to make ends meet.
Hi, so I posted this back when I was still in medical school. I graduated last year and I’m working as an FY1 equivalent doctor now, so I still haven’t reached the stage of having to make that decision yet!

I think my mindset regarding the children side of things still hasn’t changed (I want to be as young of a mum as possible & whenever I do have them, I want to be there looking after them 24:7 for the first few years of their life), but I have begun to consider the kind of work-life balance I want as well after facing the realities of treatment of JDs in the NHS. I just don’t think I want to suffer through the turmoil that surgical training puts their trainees through anymore. My priorities have changed in that sense.

So my plan now, once I finish my foundation years, is to take FY3, FY4, etc. years buying myself some time to properly decide on a speciality I love but also one that allows me the lifestyle I want too.

I’d love to hear what you decide to do though, as it could help me in the future when I reach that point in my career! :-)
Reply 27
So I'm in a related predicament which might or might not help.. I started medicine late as a humanities grad, I was always torn between GP and Surgery, finished F2 2023 aged 36 and married with 2 kids under 1 now. I decided on balance to go for GP training as it seemed the sensible pathway and if I loved it great, CCT 3 years work/life flexibility and good money to support my family.. if I hated it, I would switch to surgery. Well I've completed my first GP placement now in ST1 (didn't do one in F2) and I certainly didn't hate it, I could see myself being a good GP but I don't think it quite satisfies my career goals/ambition side of me, but it would give me a good family life and higher income.. I could apply this year for CST and resign GP next year end of ST2 IF I got in, but that would likely mean I couldn't return to GP training if it didn't work out and would mean sacrificing a lot of precious time with my family. Part of me thinks I should complete GP so I have a stable career banked and can do GP locum to subsidise CST pay. But I will be 40 by the time I CCT GP so being optimistic I could CCT in surgery by 48/49 I guess that's not too old but is a BIG decision to make. My wife is supportive but the uncertainty isn't helpful when planning houses and schools etc. in hindsight, I think I should've gone for CST first and if it didn't work out then at least I knew I'd tried surgery and could switch to GP without getting FOMO. That would be my advice to you if you like surgery. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the junior doctor worklife BS, working life generally improves the further up the ranks you go, just grind it out it, foundation doesn't last as long as it can feel sometimes 😜
Original post by P4010
So I'm in a related predicament which might or might not help.. I started medicine late as a humanities grad, I was always torn between GP and Surgery, finished F2 2023 aged 36 and married with 2 kids under 1 now. I decided on balance to go for GP training as it seemed the sensible pathway and if I loved it great, CCT 3 years work/life flexibility and good money to support my family.. if I hated it, I would switch to surgery. Well I've completed my first GP placement now in ST1 (didn't do one in F2) and I certainly didn't hate it, I could see myself being a good GP but I don't think it quite satisfies my career goals/ambition side of me, but it would give me a good family life and higher income.. I could apply this year for CST and resign GP next year end of ST2 IF I got in, but that would likely mean I couldn't return to GP training if it didn't work out and would mean sacrificing a lot of precious time with my family. Part of me thinks I should complete GP so I have a stable career banked and can do GP locum to subsidise CST pay. But I will be 40 by the time I CCT GP so being optimistic I could CCT in surgery by 48/49 I guess that's not too old but is a BIG decision to make. My wife is supportive but the uncertainty isn't helpful when planning houses and schools etc. in hindsight, I think I should've gone for CST first and if it didn't work out then at least I knew I'd tried surgery and could switch to GP without getting FOMO. That would be my advice to you if you like surgery. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the junior doctor worklife BS, working life generally improves the further up the ranks you go, just grind it out it, foundation doesn't last as long as it can feel sometimes 😜
This was really helpful, thank you so much! I'm in my FY1 year of training now and am certainly planning to take a couple more years beyond FY2 before applying for training, so I've got a while to think about it yet, but this certainly helped! Thanks again and hope it all works out for you!
Reply 29
Is it possible for you to work in a private hospital with more flexibility and more pay right after graduation?
Original post by lilakao
Is it possible for you to work in a private hospital with more flexibility and more pay right after graduation?

UK medical graduates don't receive full licensing from the GMC until they complete FY1 in a foundation training post, it is provisional up until that point. So they won't be employed by a private hospital in the UK until after FY1 no matter what. Also realistically private healthcare providers aren't going to be recruiting foundation doctors or even in most cases junior doctors I expect. They'll be recruiting consultants (most of whom will probably continue working in the NHS in some kind of job plan that facilitates their private work).

Ultimately private healthcare providers in the UK need to compete with the NHS (which is free). Patients are hardly going to pay money to be treated by the same junior doctors they'd be treated by in the NHS. They may pay for the privilege to be treated sooner, directly by a consultant, but I would be surprised if a private hospital will attract that many patients if it recruits junior doctors who are still in the middle of their specialty training (or who haven't even started it).
Is it unheard of to do GP training, work as a GP for a couple of years, and then retrain in medicine or surgery when you’re older (40ish)?
The question stems from the battle I’m having between wanting to be there to raise my kids when they’re young (which GPs have the flexibility to do), whilst struggling to give up my lifelong dream of becoming a surgeon (who definitely don’t have the time to raise a family during the early stages of core surgical training). It should be noted that I am a female by the way, and every female surgeon I meet tells me they only had kids in their mid-late 30s. I’m in my final year of medical school, so I’ve had to start thinking realistically about what I really want from life, and there’s two things I’m sure of: I want to do surgery (maybe medicine). But I also want to be a young mum (late 20s to early 30s) & be there to raise my kids for the first few years of their life.
just had a very quick scan of this thread but, unless I’ve missed one, can’t see a post from @GANFYD so I shall tag her in now just in case she wants to contribute ie., as someone eminently qualified so to do in both aspects of clinical practice
Reply 32
My advice if people are uncertain about careers is to try the more time consuming and rota-intense one first. Do not underestimate how much more difficult that gets as you get older!

And wrt private hospitals, some do hire RMOs to look after pts out of hours, They are generally mid-reg level Drs, as they are first point of call for any poorly patient through the night. They are not great jobs, not generally well paid and have zero career progression.
Original post by GANFYD
My advice if people are uncertain about careers is to try the more time consuming and rota-intense one first. Do not underestimate how much more difficult that gets as you get older!

And wrt private hospitals, some do hire RMOs to look after pts out of hours, They are generally mid-reg level Drs, as they are first point of call for any poorly patient through the night. They are not great jobs, not generally well paid and have zero career progression.
thanks👏🏼 ganfyd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending