The Student Room Group

Yorkshire and Humber - North Yorkshire/East Coast F1

I managed to get into my first choice deanery, but with a disappointing SJT I only have a score of 72. So I have only just really made the primary list and I'm not going to get my first or second choices in the group matching (South Yorks, and West Yorks) and will probably be close to the bottom of the ranking for the third group NYEC.
I am open to whatever happens now, but I have a few questions about the hospitals in NYEC as I have no idea about them, and I don't know anyone to ask. Group matching comes out on March 22nd so that only gives me a week to rank the 147 or so jobs.
Given I will no doubt be spending some/all of my time in Grimsby or Scunthorpe (or Scarborough), are there any final year medics, F1s, F2s or doctors out there who did their foundation years recently or are currently working in NYEC that can give me any ideas of the good and bad points/rotations of these hospitals and anything about the areas.
Plus most posts are split so do people move between F1 and F2?

Scroll to see replies

Subbing as I have NEY as my 1st choice. Will there likely be surgical jobs available? Score is 73, due to SJT :/

How are we ranked?
Reply 2
Original post by Lightingspeed
Subbing as I have NEY as my 1st choice. Will there likely be surgical jobs available? Score is 73, due to SJT :/

How are we ranked?

As far as I know, we'll be ranked in the same way as the initial allocation process. So the higher your score, the more chance you'll get of being allocated to a programme higher up in your choices. I thought all foundation programmes had at least one surgical rotation (and a medical one).

As you're putting NEY first choice, do you know much about that group of hospitals?
Original post by Anonymous
As far as I know, we'll be ranked in the same way as the initial allocation process. So the higher your score, the more chance you'll get of being allocated to a programme higher up in your choices. I thought all foundation programmes had at least one surgical rotation (and a medical one).

As you're putting NEY first choice, do you know much about that group of hospitals?

Not much, looking for more info too
Reply 4
I did my FY1 in York and FY2 in Scarborough, so feel free to message me directly or ask questions on here and I'll try to help :smile:
Original post by Larry31
I did my FY1 in York and FY2 in Scarborough, so feel free to message me directly or ask questions on here and I'll try to help :smile:

Hi, what where your placements/hospitals? How did you find time in NEYH? Not from york/hull, would like to know more about the area.
Reply 6
Original post by Lightingspeed
Hi, what where your placements/hospitals? How did you find time in NEYH? Not from york/hull, would like to know more about the area

For my FY1 I did jobs in Paeds, Urology and Gastro in York, and for FY2 I did GP and A&E in Scarbados (only two rotations because of Covid). All of the jobs had their unique challenges, but definitely had their plus points too. The Paeds team in York is amazing and was a huge motivator for me applying to Paeds training. Urology is variable in workload, but you're also on the general surgical on-call rota which now includes surgical nights. Gastro had lots of interesting medicine and opportunity to do cool skills like ascitic drains if you're proactive and ask. The downside to all of the FY1 medical jobs in York is the general medical on-calls as you're on ward cover which means holding two bleeps on a night and being the only junior doctor covering 13 wards (including the coronary care unit) with access to one med reg overnight who is trying to cover the whole hospital. There were talks of changing that, but as far as I'm aware, nothing has changed yet. The weekend medical on-calls aren't much better, as although you're covering only either medicine or elderly (as opposed to overnight where you cover both), the jobs list is usually a lot longer.

I loved my time in Scarborough (not something I thought I'd say!). The A&E team there is an exceptional example of teamwork done well in the face of a generally underfunded and under-resourced department. The staff are excellent, you're well supported and can take on as much extra responsibility as you want to as your confidence grows (under supervision of the seniors). Equally my GP job was up in Whitby and was really interesting, another fantastic team! Felt quite nerve-wracking going on solo home visits and managing a clinic list of your own, but your confidence builds and it becomes much easier to cope with.

I think doing the Foundation jobs in York and Scarborough gave me a really good grounding to be honest. A lot of people dread getting this deanery because it's pretty spread out geographically and some of the sites are perceived as less desirable, but I don't personally know anyone that didn't settle in really well. In York we had a really sociable bunch of FY1s and all supported each other which was a nice environment to start work in. I took a lot of skills away from my time there - those medical on-call shifts were certainly character building, and an incredibly quick way of developing your prioritisation and time-management skills!

York is a beautiful ancient city with lots of history, quirky streets, interesting restaurants, and is in a constant state of flux. Quite expensive to live in compared to the rest of the North, but a lovely place to live. In terms of nightlife (pre-covid), its more bars and pubs than clubs (although we do have a couple). I've not properly lived in Hull, although I did placements there as a student. It's improved a lot as a result of the City of Culture funding it got a few years ago, and generally the people that I know who lived and worked there enjoyed it. Much cheaper to live in Hull which is a bonus. Scarborough is your classic British seaside town - a bit worn down and not too much happening, but generally a pleasant place to spend some time.

Basically it will be what you make of it. NYEC was actually my first choice job and I would pick it again if I had to go back and do it all again.
Reply 7
Anyone out there with experience of Hull, Grimsby or Scunthorpe hospitals?
These are my most likely allocations, and although not my first choice, I'm looking at the next 2 years as an adventure that I hadn't planned. I'd like to make the most of my options and there's very little I can find about this group.
Reply 8
I can't find anything much on Messly. I've seen a couple of anecdotal comments somewhere about avoiding Scunthorpe and Grimsby if possible and that the areas are 'grim' to live in, But nothing positive or factual. There were some final years chatting on Reddit a while back but they are just speculating.
@Larry31 has given some great advice about York and Scarborough in the NYEC group, but I don't stand a chance at those hospitals because of my score.
I will be spending at least one year if not both in Grimsby or Scunthorpe (I have a very low score and have only just scraped into the deanery, so I will have to list all of the 150 or so jobs) and I would like to have some facts about the hospitals, positive or negative. Good rotations, how's the senior support, where people have lived. Anything really. I want to be positive and make the most of my 2 years

I'll have a read through that on the weekend once I've finished a week of nights on placement. We only have until Monday.to do the ranking. I'm just trying all angles to inform myself and I don't know if I'm missing any obvious ways to find out..
(edited 3 years ago)
I can't find anything much on Messly. I've seen a couple of anecdotal comments somewhere about avoiding Scunthorpe and Grimsby if possible and that the areas are 'grim' to live in, But nothing positive or factual. There were some final years chatting on Reddit a while back but they are just speculating.
@Larry31 has given some great advice about York and Scarborough in the NYEC group, but I don't stand a chance at those hospitals because of my score.
I will be spending at least one year if not both in Grimsby or Scunthorpe (I have a very low score and have only just scraped into the deanery, so I will have to list all of the 150 or so jobs) and I would like to have some facts about the hospitals, positive or negative. Good rotations, how's the senior support, where people have lived. Anything really. I want to be positive and make the most of my 2 years

I'll have a read through that on the weekend once I've finished a week of nights on placement. We only have until Monday.to do the ranking. I'm just trying all angles to inform myself and I don't know if I'm missing any obvious ways to find out..

Hi! Medical student here, so can't be of much help with the working conditions, but I've lived in the Grimsby area for almost 10 years and have spent time in the hospital, if you'd like to know more about the town and what it's like to live here / places to avoid, let me know! :smile:
Hi! Medical student here, so can't be of much help with the working conditions, but I've lived in the Grimsby area for almost 10 years and have spent time in the hospital, if you'd like to know more about the town and what it's like to live here / places to avoid, let me know! :smile:

Hello. Your views will be very welcome and valid. I get my allocation on Thursday, so if I have any time in Grimsby, I'll certainly be asking your opinion. Thanks so much for replying, it's very much appreciated.
Original post by Larry31
For my FY1 I did jobs in Paeds, Urology and Gastro in York, and for FY2 I did GP and A&E in Scarbados (only two rotations because of Covid). All of the jobs had their unique challenges, but definitely had their plus points too. The Paeds team in York is amazing and was a huge motivator for me applying to Paeds training. Urology is variable in workload, but you're also on the general surgical on-call rota which now includes surgical nights. Gastro had lots of interesting medicine and opportunity to do cool skills like ascitic drains if you're proactive and ask. The downside to all of the FY1 medical jobs in York is the general medical on-calls as you're on ward cover which means holding two bleeps on a night and being the only junior doctor covering 13 wards (including the coronary care unit) with access to one med reg overnight who is trying to cover the whole hospital. There were talks of changing that, but as far as I'm aware, nothing has changed yet. The weekend medical on-calls aren't much better, as although you're covering only either medicine or elderly (as opposed to overnight where you cover both), the jobs list is usually a lot longer.

I loved my time in Scarborough (not something I thought I'd say!). The A&E team there is an exceptional example of teamwork done well in the face of a generally underfunded and under-resourced department. The staff are excellent, you're well supported and can take on as much extra responsibility as you want to as your confidence grows (under supervision of the seniors). Equally my GP job was up in Whitby and was really interesting, another fantastic team! Felt quite nerve-wracking going on solo home visits and managing a clinic list of your own, but your confidence builds and it becomes much easier to cope with.

I think doing the Foundation jobs in York and Scarborough gave me a really good grounding to be honest. A lot of people dread getting this deanery because it's pretty spread out geographically and some of the sites are perceived as less desirable, but I don't personally know anyone that didn't settle in really well. In York we had a really sociable bunch of FY1s and all supported each other which was a nice environment to start work in. I took a lot of skills away from my time there - those medical on-call shifts were certainly character building, and an incredibly quick way of developing your prioritisation and time-management skills!

York is a beautiful ancient city with lots of history, quirky streets, interesting restaurants, and is in a constant state of flux. Quite expensive to live in compared to the rest of the North, but a lovely place to live. In terms of nightlife (pre-covid), its more bars and pubs than clubs (although we do have a couple). I've not properly lived in Hull, although I did placements there as a student. It's improved a lot as a result of the City of Culture funding it got a few years ago, and generally the people that I know who lived and worked there enjoyed it. Much cheaper to live in Hull which is a bonus. Scarborough is your classic British seaside town - a bit worn down and not too much happening, but generally a pleasant place to spend some time.

Basically it will be what you make of it. NYEC was actually my first choice job and I would pick it again if I had to go back and do it all again.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I’ve just found out my rotations and I have FY1 in York, 2 rotations of FY2 in Scarborough followed by a GP rotation just outside of York in an area called Malton! I initially wanted to do my FT in Leeds but despite that I am very pleased with these rotations and location ☺️
Hi, currently working in grimsby hospital as foundation dr, let me know if you get grimsby and i might be able to help out with some questions.
Well, after all that, I'm pleasantly surprised with my allocations - FY1 in Scarborough and FY2 in York. Considering how low my score was, this allocation was in my top 25 choices!
Original post by peanutbutterch0c
Hi, currently working in grimsby hospital as foundation dr, let me know if you get grimsby and i might be able to help out with some questions.

Hi, can you give us an your views and experiance of working as an Fy1. Biggest fears are doing nights and being over-whelmed! haha
Hi, can you give us an your views and experiance of working as an Fy1. Biggest fears are doing nights and being over-whelmed! haha

Well I think it’s a steep learning curve from med school to FY1 especially when we are all getting lesser clinical exposure due to the pandemic. Just a context, I did not train in the UK therefore NHS system is very new to me. For me, I started working in medical rotation and it was and still is intimidating for me because it’s so much different from what you learn in med school. You’re now the one who’s dealing with the sick patient and the nurses are relying on your decision to help problem solving (but they’re most likely more experienced and helpful). I’m only in my second rotation now so I’m still learning everyday.
Doing nights and oncalls are more like learning time management and problem solving skills, you get so many bleeps all the time you just need to learn how to prioritise what to do first and what can wait.
I can’t teach you how not to be overwhelmed because it’s ultimately something that you have to and need to go through as an FY1 😂 but things do get better and you get support from seniors! Just remember that foundation years are for you to learn therefore don’t stop learning and read!
Well, after all that, I'm pleasantly surprised with my allocations - FY1 in Scarborough and FY2 in York. Considering how low my score was, this allocation was in my top 25 choices!

Congratulations!!! I'm really pleased to hear this - both are absolutely lovely towns! I have a med school rotation in York next year and I'm well chuffed :biggrin:
Original post by peanutbutterch0c

Hi I am sorry to bother you.
My daughter has just been offered F1 at Grimsby so wondering how is work there?
Thanks
Original post by Larry31

Thanks for sharing your experience, really made me excited about starting my F1 there; i've been allocated to York Hospital for F1 and Hull Infirmary for F2 jobs. A couple of practical questions: how did you find housing in York i.e. did the Trust give you options after sending the employment offer or did u do this independently, and what was your personal situation like there? also what can we expect in prices for 1 bed flat? thanks again
Original post by Larry31

Hi there! I am starting Scarborough for F1 and am hoping to find a semi nice accommodation for myself. Any ideas on where to look and if the hospital has any accomodation? thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending