The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeah, doing something alternative might be a good idea... cocktail bar ??
University of York
York
Reply 21
Hehe, better hope your in Alcuin then :p:
Reply 22
jorge regula
The Ball is meant to be the main event, and it's meant to have 2000+ people attending, so I'd imagine most would prioritise it over the events on the same evening.

Sure, so what, I'm one of those that aren't in that 'most'.
Reply 23
Laus
Yeah, doing something alternative might be a good idea... cocktail bar ??

Evil Eye is win. Go find it ASAP :cool:
I'm umming and arring about it. I can't be bothered dressing up. How formal is it? The acts don't set my world on fire either. I bought tickets for the AAA , comedy night and Viking raid so far.
MaxB
Sure, so what, I'm one of those that aren't in that 'most'.

You're an individual. Congratulations :top:

-Em-

My personal opinion on this place: it's awful. Worth going to once to see what the other kids are on about. Central London prices for poor cocktails mixed by posing bartenders with silly hair. Going there on a Sunday afternoon to see them pulling tricks to middle aged tourists :rolleyes:

£3 a pint, so definitely not for anyone who is budget conscious. Food is either poor or average, depending whether you go during the afternoon or evening. Lots of the students like to embarrass themselves by trying to "get in" with the bar staff. Sticky tables.

If you're looking only to go for a drink then there's a nice pub about five minutes walk from the university, will have to ask someone the name though. If you're going to warm up for a night out, there are a dozen cheaper alternatives around town that don't have all the atmosphere of a private school common room.
billyboymccoy
I'm umming and arring about it. I can't be bothered dressing up. How formal is it? The acts don't set my world on fire either. I bought tickets for the AAA , comedy night and Viking raid so far.

Most people dress up but I don't think they're too strict as long as you look respectable.

The comedy night is the same evening, isn't it? If you've got tickets it's probably best to go to that.
jorge regula
Most people dress up but I don't think they're too strict as long as you look respectable.

The comedy night is the same evening, isn't it? If you've got tickets it's probably best to go to that.

Nahh it looks like the comedy is on the sunday, while the ball is the monday.
Reply 28
jorge regula
You're an individual. Congratulations :top:

You aren't?
Reply 29
-Em-

Oooo, I already like it, since it has the word Evil in it :evil: :p:.

Tell me more :smile: What gives it the edge? I have only tried one cocktail :blushing:

Mock not :o:
Reply 30
I'm not like most. I'm not a :sheep: I just hope I make some friends.
Reply 31
Laus
Oooo, I already like it, since it has the word Evil in it :evil: :p:.

Tell me more :smile: What gives it the edge? I have only tried one cocktail :blushing:

Mock not :o:

Heh, I'm not a major cocktail fan, either. The atmosphere is just really nice.

It's dimly lit, has wobbly stairways covered in mirrors (very Harry Potter :o:), four-poster beds for seating upstairs and is decked out in random voodoo ornamentation.

Plus, they used to sell a cocktail which you had to sign a disclaimer to drink due to the alcohol content (though not in the academic lifetime of any current undergrad :biggrin:), which makes for an interesting read - the newspaper article is amongst the odds and sods plastered over the wall of aforementioned staircases.

And if you don't like cocktails, there's always the Evil Smoothie, which is basically alcohol poured on chocolate. Can't go wrong there :p:
Reply 32
Laus
I'm not like most. I'm not a :sheep: I just hope I make some friends.

Don't worry.

Us 'individuals' have to stick together :smile:
Reply 33
-Em-
Heh, I'm not a major cocktail fan, either. The atmosphere is just really nice.

It's dimly lit, has wobbly stairways covered in mirrors (very Harry Potter :o:), four-poster beds for seating upstairs and is decked out in random voodoo ornamentation.

Plus, they used to sell a cocktail which you had to sign a disclaimer to drink due to the alcohol content (though not in the academic lifetime of any current undergrad :biggrin:), which makes for an interesting read - the newspaper article is amongst the odds and sods plastered over the wall of aforementioned staircases.

And if you don't like cocktails, there's always the Evil Smoothie, which is basically alcohol poured on chocolate. Can't go wrong there :p:

Ooo! That sounds like my kind of thing! I love dimly lit places... I get nervous when I'm somewhere that's bright and seeming with people! Four-poster beds, hey? :smile: I'll def be going there! I reckon anyone who doesn't want to go to the freshers ball/can't afford it, should meet up and go to a few places like this... we could grab some second or third years if we don't have a clue where to go. I do like cocktails... I just haven't had the opportunity to try many! Alcohol poured on chocolate sounds lush :love:! Thanks for the info :smile:
Reply 34
MaxB
Don't worry.

Us 'individuals' have to stick together :smile:

:five:

Tell me you're going to Derwent... :puppyeyes:
I'm not going. I don't like stuff like that - I prefer more informal events!
Reply 36
Laus
:five:

Tell me you're going to Derwent... :puppyeyes:

It's one of my top choices... they've still not updated my evision thing though :lazy:
Yep, Evil Eye is definitely one of the better/more unique bars in York :smile:
Reply 38
MaxB
It's one of my top choices... they've still not updated my evision thing though :lazy:

All the best :smile:.
Reply 39
slugonamission
Yep, Evil Eye is definitely one of the better/more unique bars in York :smile:

Awesome :smile: xx

Latest

Trending

Trending