The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Marsha2112
Probably, but I did read somewhere that although Colyton Grammar's results were as good as some top private schools, only 2 out of 33 poeple got into Oxford, and more got in from the private schools because they had been taught to show 'flair and enthousiasm'.

I'm sorry, but Colyton wouldn't slip up on something like that. I doubt they offer less support than private schools.
Reply 21
Calumcalum
TEND to have to be cleverer. Not are always cleverer. Everyone knows that you'll get far better results and tips on getting in at a private school than a non selective state school.

That's still ********, they aren't 'cleverer' whether they're given tips or get better grades or not. You're trying to make a judgment on intelligence based on the advantages which are given by some private and public schools, but how on earth does that affect a student's intelligence? You are, quite simply, talking out of your arse.

State school pupils don't have to be cleverer, they just might have to work a little harder. Hard work doesn't denote intelligence, otherwise it would have been a miner that discovered the shape of DNA, and not Watson and Crick, wouldn't it?
Ok, statistics wise, not that i can produce any, but State Schools Are Shown Preference over Public Schools this is for one reason. Public school kids are treated as being spoon fed through sixth form, and therefore haven't developed the amount of independence that state school kids have.

If An Admissions Tutor Is Face With A Public School Kid And A State School Kid of Equal value, They Will Pick The State School Kid

The main reasons more public school kids get in is probably, via spoon feeding, they get higher grades anyway, so many are not of equal value.

Still cutting it close though.
Reply 23
yoshifumu
Ok, statistics wise, not that i can produce any

rofl. Basically, this is my preconception and I have no proof.

More public school kids do not get in, not in absolute terms.

Edit: Mods, is there anyway we can prevent anyone who isn't actually at Cambridge from posting authoritative sounding but completely incorrect speculation in the forum?
Apagg
I'm sorry, but Colyton wouldn't slip up on something like that. I doubt they offer less support than private schools.

Well, here's the article if you're interested:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article2889322.ece

'Despite their remarkable A-level results, grammar school pupils seem to fare less well when it comes to landing a place at the top universities. An analysis by the Sutton Trust last month showed the proportion of university entrants going to Oxbridge from the top 30 independent schools was nearly twice that of the top 30 grammars.'

and

'Oliver Blond, head teacher at Henrietta Barnett, where 15 girls applied to Oxford for entry in 2006 and only two were made offers, (his school had a higher success rate at Cambridge) said he felt the school could be doing more to prepare pupils. Blond says: “Oxford and Cambridge seem to take pupils who are intellectually curious, well read and have a passion for their subject. Independent schools have more opportunity to deliver these characteristics. Schools such as ours could emphasise the kind of learning that develops these characteristics.'

(Sorry, it wasn't Colyton :p: but this still illustrates my point a bit)
Reply 25
isnt_it_ironic
hey everyone, I was wondering how much of an effect coming from a state school has once you're actually at cambridge. My school sent us to an oxbridge conference earlier in the year and I asked one of the students there and he said that there are some who treat you different and like a bit of an idiot because you're a state school person. So bascially will I be treated differently by other students because im from a state school?:s-smilie:

I have not met any of these people. Nobody cares. Or at least, nobody worth worrying about does. Most people at Cambridge are fairly intelligent and fairly reasonable, ergo they are aware that background doesn't matter that much.
Reply 26
yoshifumu
If An Admissions Tutor Is Face With A Public School Kid And A State School Kid of Equal value, They Will Pick The State School Kid

I would have questioned that, but as you posted it in bold, it must be true.
There'll probably be some people like that, but then, they're always the idiots no-one likes anyway. :smile:

When my friend went for a law taster course at oxford she said there was a definite divide between the 'rich' and 'poor' with (some) very stuck up and awful people, but from what I heard they sounded so ignorant and stupid I'd doubt they'd actually end up there anyway. As my head of sixth form said, the private schools tend to pack lots of their students off to these events even if they're very poor candidates, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Besides, you can find snobbery at any uni, never mind in the 'top 20' or oxbridge.
Reply 28
Marsha2112
Well, here's the article if you're interested:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article2889322.ece

'Despite their remarkable A-level results, grammar school pupils seem to fare less well when it comes to landing a place at the top universities. An analysis by the Sutton Trust last month showed the proportion of university entrants going to Oxbridge from the top 30 independent schools was nearly twice that of the top 30 grammars.'

and

'Oliver Blond, head teacher at Henrietta Barnett, where 15 girls applied to Oxford for entry in 2006 and only two were made offers, (his school had a higher success rate at Cambridge) said he felt the school could be doing more to prepare pupils. Blond says: “Oxford and Cambridge seem to take pupils who are intellectually curious, well read and have a passion for their subject. Independent schools have more opportunity to deliver these characteristics. Schools such as ours could emphasise the kind of learning that develops these characteristics.'

(Sorry, it wasn't Colyton :p: but this still illustrates my point a bit)

The first can be down to a difference in application rates.
The second really negates any sort of point you might try to make from 2/15 getting in. It's hardly a large sample
People from state schools are hardly ever looked down on (reverse snobbery is very slightly more common, if anything, but still rare), but you might find that people who go round telling others who's more intelligent based on prejudices do get looked down upon.
Reply 30
*bangs head on desk*

Please, people, if you don't know what you're talking about...just stop talking.

Edit: NB: I'm not talking to *everyone* in this thread. Just those who are wildly speculating, regurgitating stuff they've heard in the media, or making **** up...
To reply to the original post: I imagine a fair bit of whatever antagonism might exist between state & independent school students is in the other direction. (As demonstrated by some of the replies to this thread.) I, for one, often find it quite difficult not to look down on privately-educated students who aren't as academically successful as me. I know it's ****, but it's also very deeply ingrained -- fundamental class stuff, practically hardwired in.
epitome
*bangs head on desk*

Please, people, if you don't know what you're talking about...just stop talking.

Edit: NB: I'm not talking to *everyone* in this thread. Just those who are wildly speculating, regurgitating stuff they've heard in the media, or making **** up...

I think the answers to the OP's question lies in the fact that most subjective answers in this thread display reverse snobbery, rather than anyone looking down on state schooling as direct snobbery.
Reply 33
Crimson Black
I think the answers to the OP's question lies in the fact that most subjective answers in this thread display reverse snobbery, rather than anyone looking down on state schooling as direct snobbery.

Indeed. It's horribly telling, actually.
Franc Vouloir
To reply to the original post: I imagine a fair bit of whatever antagonism might exist between state & independent school students is in the other direction. (As demonstrated by some of the replies to this thread.) I, for one, often find it quite difficult not to look down on privately-educated students who aren't as academically successful as me. I know it's ****, but it's also very deeply ingrained -- fundamental class stuff, practically hardwired in.

In my experience, the vast majority of state schooled students who do expound these kind of views went to fairly posh grammars/church schools that have nearly as high Oxbridge acceptance rates as some independents. Those of us who went to honest-to-goodness, proper comps learnt some humility as our head was flushed down the toilet for the third time in a week.

To reply to the original poster, excluding *****, no-one in Cambridge cares which school you went to. I still don't know what sort of schools some of my friends went to.
Not really, from my experience (yes, I'm state schooled) I found that it was only private schooled people who would look down on you - obviously.

So I've not had many problems regarding this - apart from when I tried to take up a job at a really posh restaurant and the boss who saw my resume seemed dubious at first when he saw what college I graduated from... But he still hired me :biggrin:

Because it doesn't matter. Point is, I still graduated. I still ended up with a HSC of 88.08. I got my year 12 certificate fair and square. Many people don't, which is why they often get sent to these so called 'private' schools :wink: :cool:
danni_bella
Not really, from my experience (yes, I'm state schooled) I found that it was only private schooled people who would look down on you - obviously.

So I've not had many problems regarding this - apart from when I tried to take up a job at a really posh restaurant and the boss who saw my resume seemed dubious at first when he saw what college I graduated from... But he still hired me :biggrin:

Because it doesn't matter. Point is, I still graduated. I still ended up with a HSC of 88.08. I got my year 12 certificate fair and square. Many people don't, which is why they often get sent to these so called 'private' schools :wink: :cool:

The thread is only talking about attitudes within the student community of the University of Cambridge...
Craghyrax
The thread is only talking about attitudes within the student community of the University of Cambridge...

Well I went to the ANU which is in the same league as Cambridge, so to answer the OP's question, no I didn't experience anything like people looking down on me because I attended state schools.

EDIT: I work full-time and study an Outlook course part-time so I don't often read threads fully before I post :p:
Guys, seriously, when you get to uni no-one cares about anything from school. No-one will ask you what school you went to (because unless you happen to live in the same town, knowing the answer is unlikely to mean anything to them) and if they do happen to know, they won't care. I am now going into my final year and I haven't got a clue what kind of school most of my friends went to.
Ok so you have a point there, most of the time, e.g. with schools I'll agree.

However for me that's pretty much where it stopped. I was an unpopular geek at the state school I went to so unfortunately the very few people who knew me at uni were very quick to bag me out :\

In saying that, there weren't many people from my college who attended the same uni I went to as 1. It was interstate, and 2. It was the brother/friend/partner of someone I went to school with... so, meh. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending