The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Accommodation?

Hi!
I have two offers (which is all I applied for) from Sussex atm. I'm just wondering how easy it is to get a first choice accommodation? I really have my heart set on East Slope.
It depends on the uni and the way they do it
Some have a raffle system, in which case all options are equally likely.
Some do a first come first serve
Some do unconditionals and disabled students first.

I suggest you look at the uni website and figure out which method they’re using.

For reference my uni priorities unconditional offer holders (bc they’re guaranteed to be attending) and since I had an unconditional I got my first choice.

It is sometimes possible to ask for a different hall after you’ve been made an offer but again it depends on how the uni does it.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by lophi
Hi!
I have two offers (which is all I applied for) from Sussex atm. I'm just wondering how easy it is to get a first choice accommodation? I really have my heart set on East Slope.

Hello,

It would be best to contact Housing Services ([email protected]) for specific information regarding housing.

Generally, we find that people settle into their accommodation and are happy with the place they have been allocated even if it's not their first choice. If people are not happy with their accommodation choice, there's a swap list available at the start of term where people can request to swap their accommodation with someone else. This is operated by Housing Service so I recommend keeping in contact with them now.

More details about the swap list:
If you want to swap rooms within a University-managed accommodation, you'll need to complete a swap form at the Housing Office. The option to swap rooms will begin at the start of the autumn term (at least a week after you have moved in, to give you a chance to get to know your flatmates, etc., and hence make a more informed decision about swapping). The fee for room swaps is 26 pounds per person, and you are responsible for finding a person willing to swap with you. You can use the online swap list search open to Sussex University Students on Sussex Direct Website to find someone willing to swap with you. You will receive those login details at the start of the term. Both persons need to sign the agreement, and pay the room swap fee, and any outstanding fee for their previous housing agreement for the duration of time spent in that accommodation.

There's no guarantee that you will get the accommodation you want with the swap, however, the Housing Services team would do their best to accommodate to your needs.

As outlined in the University of Sussex Housing Guarantee webpage (https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/accommodation/accommodation-guarantee),
If you apply for an undergraduate course which starts in September 2021, you are guaranteed University-managed accommodation if you:

are a full-time, first-year undergraduate student applying through UCAS for September 2021

choose Sussex as your first choice and firmly accept our offer

apply for accommodation by 30 June 2021.

however, it does not guarantee you your first choice of accommodation. I strongly recommend you to contact Housing Services to ask how the accommodation is allocated and their method of selection. I can confirm that accommodation is not allocated in a ‘first-come first-served’ basis.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Erica (3rd year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence student)
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending