The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Godmaster
Which of the two universities would you prefer to read law at and why?

Don't care! I'ld be content with either. I'ld say they are basically equal in terms of content, it just depends on whether you like the environment they are set in (do you want to study in London or Cambridge, as cities?)
Reply 2
Then of course, do you want the oxbridge reputation or not?
Reply 3
I'd have prefered Cambridge because I wanted to get out of London, I'd have preferred the collegiate system because it seems more friendly (although haven't actually visited LSE yet) and for the Oxbridge reputation (but I got rejected!), but LSE because I have the exact course I want, and I'd prefer to have the LLB than a BA at the end of it (although I'm not entirely sure what the difference is!)

That said, seeing as I was rejected from Cambridge, I'm now determined to think LSE is way better, so go to LSE!
Reply 4
Cambridge, because of its repuatation. Its worth another grade on your degree really. In truth if you went for a job with a first from LSE and someone else a first from Cambridge, they would be more likely to get the job.

Harsh i know.....but its true! :smile:
Reply 5
!Laxy!
Cambridge, because of its repuatation. Its worth another grade on your degree really. In truth if you went for a job with a first from LSE and someone else a first from Cambridge, they would be more likely to get the job.

:rolleyes:
That comment is incredibly context-dependent. The whole debate of the significance of Oxbridge degrees is really subjective anyway. I would suggest that Godmaster chooses the place he/she feels most comfortable about. Both institutions have excellent reputations, so don't worry about that. Look at other things. Do you like the people? The staff? The environment? The accomodation? The 2 courses? etc etc. Ignore other people's prejudices and make up your own mind.
Reply 6
!Laxy!

I think for a subject like Law though, the difference between the two isn't as wide as for other subjects, seeing as both have fantastic reputations for it.

(Plus, if new graduates were applying for jobs with FIRSTS from Cambridge and LSE, offers would be rolling in from everywhere anyway, so whether one employer is elitest enough to pick someone merely on the basis that they're from Cambridge wouldn't matter much, the poor LSE grad would probably be spoilt for choice anyway).
Reply 7
london_bum
I think for a subject like Law though, the difference between the two isn't as wide as for other subjects, seeing as both have fantastic reputations for it.

(Plus, if new graduates were applying for jobs with FIRSTS from Cambridge and LSE, offers would be rolling in from everywhere anyway, so whether one employer is elitest enough to pick someone merely on the basis that they're from Cambridge wouldn't matter much, the poor LSE grad would probably be spoilt for choice anyway).

I've heard theres a fair bit of resentment in some legal firms at Oxbridge grads - they feel a bit jealous that they didn't get it.

Also, !Laxy!, Cambridge isn't that much better than LSE, and in reality employers know there is very little difference between the two universities, particularly for law. Someone with a 1st from LSE will always beat someone else with a 2:1 from Cambridge.
Reply 8
london_bum

Is it really that open career wise after u finish uni and all the training etc?:s-smilie: wow
Reply 9
!Laxy!

absolute garbage
infact i'd say that you'd be more likely to get a job with a law degree from a London uni
Reply 10
Quiksilver
absolute garbage
infact i'd say that you'd be more likely to get a job with a law degree from a London uni

*looks at his location* :rolleyes:
Reply 11
!Laxy!

Harsh but...wrong, so wrong :rolleyes:

a first from lse=cambridge=oxford=kings=ucl=notts/durham=a 2.1 with great personality/competence for a career in law

a first doesn't necessarily make you a good lawyer :wink:
!Laxy!
*looks at his location* :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
its the truth i'm afraid :wink: :wink:
rah2

a first from lse=cambridge=oxford=kings=ucl=notts/durham=a 2.1 with great personality/competence for a career in law

well said :smile:
if you want friendly...DO NOT choose LSE.
The City, and henc eht etop law firms, are all becoming, slowly, more and more meritocratic.

Proove yourself!
Reply 16
!Laxy!

That is a sweeping generalisation which may or may not be true depending on individual candidates
Reply 17
rah2

This is, broadly, true. But, Oxbridge produces a lot more graduates with firsts than LSE does. And Oxbridge candidates, having had the amazing advantage of the supervision system, tend to have developed skills that other graduates don't have; hence, Oxbridge graduates do tend to perform better. You only need to look at the Bar statistics to get an idea: 23% of pupils are from Oxbridge. And there is still a certain premium to holding an Oxbridge degree: an employer knows you got admitted and coped with the exceptionally demanding Oxbridge course (which, being so short, is necessarily more demanding than elsewhere).

There are obviously plenty of LSE graduates who outperform Oxbridge graduates, but - on average - Oxbridge graduates are better placed to find careers. The numbers of Oxbridge graduates at the Bar and in City firms is clear evidence of this.

In the end, however, you get out of University what you put in. You should go where you'll be happier, because that is where you'll do the work to get yourself the results you need to progress in a career. I wouldn't worry too much about other considerations: there isn't a great difference between LSE and Cambridge. My two key considerations would be whether you want the Cambridge supervision system and/or which place you prefer?

And, to clarify a point made earlier: there is no difference between an LL.B. and an Oxbridge BA. All Oxbridge undergraduate degrees are, for reason of history, BAs rather than being subject-specific degrees. It doesn't mean that the content of the degree is any different or less law-based, and all employers are aware of this.
Reply 18
jcw
This is, broadly, true. But, Oxbridge produces a lot more graduates with firsts than LSE does. And Oxbridge candidates, having had the amazing advantage of the supervision system, tend to have developed skills that other graduates don't have; hence, Oxbridge graduates do tend to perform better. You only need to look at the Bar statistics to get an idea: 23% of pupils are from Oxbridge. And there is still a certain premium to holding an Oxbridge degree: an employer knows you got admitted and coped with the exceptionally demanding Oxbridge course (which, being so short, is necessarily more demanding than elsewhere).

There are obviously plenty of LSE graduates who outperform Oxbridge graduates, but - on average - Oxbridge graduates are better placed to find careers. The numbers of Oxbridge graduates at the Bar and in City firms is clear evidence of this.

In the end, however, you get out of University what you put in. You should go where you'll be happier, because that is where you'll do the work to get yourself the results you need to progress in a career. I wouldn't worry too much about other considerations: there isn't a great difference between LSE and Cambridge. My two key considerations would be whether you want the Cambridge supervision system and/or which place you prefer?

And, to clarify a point made earlier: there is no difference between an LL.B. and an Oxbridge BA. All Oxbridge undergraduate degrees are, for reason of history, BAs rather than being subject-specific degrees. It doesn't mean that the content of the degree is any different or less law-based, and all employers are aware of this.

I think the above is probably one of the most balanced and accurate comments I have ever read about the distinction between Oxbridge and other traditional law schools. Agreed absolutely.

And to some of the earlier posts about a 2.1 beating a first in law: I'm really sorry to disappoint you, but in the legal profession, that is rarely, if ever, true. I have hardly EVER heard of a first class law student from a traditional university being rejected from a City law firm. Let's face reality: if you get a first in law from Oxbridge/UCL/LSE/etc, you probably WILL get a job almost anywhere you want! I mean, come on, on average, the percentage of candidates graduating with a first in law from a traditional university is about 2-8% (10-15% at Oxbridge) of the entire year!

Latest

Trending

Trending