The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

living in Brighton as a second year

What are areas to avoid when living in Brighton if you want to be in a lively place? Also what are the best areas with the most students near by?
Original post by Anonymous
What are areas to avoid when living in Brighton if you want to be in a lively place? Also what are the best areas with the most students near by?

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Personally, I have not rented privately in Brighton. However, I have come across a good website link, reviewing the main student housing locations in Brighton, including Elm Grove, Hanover, Round Hill, City Centre, and Kemptown: Private accommodation. The information discussed include the typical price, size of accommodation, number of people you can expect to live with, and what the area is best for. I hope you find this information useful. :smile:

Also, I would strongly encourage you to contact Sussex Housing Services Team ([email protected], +44 (0)1273 678220), if you need any advice with regards to renting privately in Brighton. They would be more than happy to provide you with a detailed guidance as to which particular location would best meet your specific needs and preferences.

Let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad).
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Hey! I see my colleague Kasia has already replied but I thought it'd be worth replying myself as well, as someone who's in their 2nd year of renting privately in Brighton at the moment :smile:

From my experience, the Coombe Road / Lewes Road area has a lot a lot of students living there due to the close proximity to the uni and also supermarkets like Aldi and Sainsburys which is really convenient. I lived here in 2nd year and I greatly enjoyed my experience. Only downside was that it was quite hilly but the convenience definitely made up for it!

The Elm Grove area is also quite lively I'd say as there's a lot of shops and venues in and around this area. It's in-between the city centre and the uni so it's a great location if you'd like to be close to both locations and a lot of students live here as well.

In terms of places to avoid if you're looking for a lively location, Woodingdean from my experience is relatively quiet as there's not as many students here compared to other areas. However that does mean you'll be dealing with less noise and it makes for a calmer atmosphere, so there's definitely advantages to living in a quieter area as well.

I hope this helped but if you do have any further queries, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Isthiak (BA History with a Professional Placement Year)

Hi!

Just to add to what has already been said by my colleagues, there is also the London Road area in Brighton which has lots of shops like Aldi and McDonalds. However, students who live in this area do not have direct access to the 25 bus route which is one of the main bus routes to Sussex university but there is the London Road train station which is only two train stops away from the university, travelling by train can sometimes work out a bit more expensive but a 16-25 railcard can be used to get some discount!

Hope this helps in some way and please feel free to ask any other questions you may have!
Best wishes,
Merade (Yr 3 History and Politics BA)
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending