The Student Room Group

My family don't understand mental health

Im from an Aisan family, I have heard its common for them not to understand it and my family don't understand mental health issues. I tried to tell them how I feel and they told me that you have to deal with things because moaning about it them isn't going to help which I agree. Its just they weren't understanding mental health and I told them about it I said I might have depression then they told me not to be stupid and they never want me to say that again. Its almost like they have a phobia to people with mental health problems because they got mad when I said I think I have depression. I don't choose to have it though so why should they be angry about it. I said I think I need to see the doctors and tried educating them on mental health but they were just getting mad so in the end I had to just go upstairs and leave them alone.

I just don’t know what to anymore because I thought my family would be there for me but clearly not.

Can someone please tell my why aisan families don't understand mental health problems?
Reply 1
You can still seek help without their approval. I'm sorry they're so unsupportive though, some parents are just like that unfortunately.
Reply 2
I’m sorry your family don’t understand your mental health it must be very upsetting. Is there any friends or teachers who might be able to help you and talk about your feelings with ?
Reply 3
Original post by naimog1
I’m sorry your family don’t understand your mental health it must be very upsetting. Is there any friends or teachers who might be able to help you and talk about your feelings with ?

I don't have many friends tbh and we're are lockdown so I can't talk to teachers. I feel a bit embarrassed talking to anyone about it like going to my doctors practice or something especially because my famliy are against that
Well I can say that I’m here if you want to talk :smile: and also I feel like maybe giving your friends a call or text and talking to them could maybe help you get your feelings out. I also feel like you could try to really have a serious dixcussion with your parents about it so they know it is really important to you and they know it is effecting you! They’re your parents so they have to try to understand and support u in anyway they can when they know it’s a serious issue
Sorry to read about your pain - pls read Mental health Links , not sure about your age if u r 16+ you may speak/reach somebody in NHS helpline for depression. U surely need to see your Doctor. The education of parents also plays a great role , not all parents may understand/encountered depression so they cannot understand your pain. Hope you find some help soon. Good luck.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6800230
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Well I can say that I’m here if you want to talk :smile: and also I feel like maybe giving your friends a call or text and talking to them could maybe help you get your feelings out. I also feel like you could try to really have a serious dixcussion with your parents about it so they know it is really important to you and they know it is effecting you! They’re your parents so they have to try to understand and support u in anyway they can when they know it’s a serious issue

I don't have any friends
Reply 7
Original post by Derk121
Sorry to read about your pain - pls read Mental health Links , not sure about your age if u r 16+ you may speak/reach somebody in NHS helpline for depression. U surely need to see your Doctor. The education of parents also plays a great role , not all parents may understand/encountered depression so they cannot understand your pain. Hope you find some help soon. Good luck.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6800230

Cheers
Reply 8
Bump
Reply 9
Is anyone here able to talk in PMs or something? Because I don't have anyone else im pretty much on my own
Feel free to pm me, I’m not sure how this app works so I’m not sure how to private message but Just drop me a message if you want to talk !
Original post by naimog1
Feel free to pm me, I’m not sure how this app works so I’m not sure how to private message but Just drop me a message if you want to talk !

OK cheers for this
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Im from an Aisan family, I have heard its common for them not to understand it and my family don't understand mental health issues. I tried to tell them how I feel and they told me that you have to deal with things because moaning about it them isn't going to help which I agree. Its just they weren't understanding mental health and I told them about it I said I might have depression then they told me not to be stupid and they never want me to say that again. Its almost like they have a phobia to people with mental health problems because they got mad when I said I think I have depression. I don't choose to have it though so why should they be angry about it. I said I think I need to see the doctors and tried educating them on mental health but they were just getting mad so in the end I had to just go upstairs and leave them alone.

I just don’t know what to anymore because I thought my family would be there for me but clearly not.

Can someone please tell my why aisan families don't understand mental health problems?

Hey, i rlly get what u mean cos same, my parents would get so pissed if i said i was depressed, had an eating disorder or social anxiety. so i dont. it really sucks but im used to it at this point. I think they dont understand because they have a more traditional mindset, at least, my parents do. and maybe thats just what they were taught, idk, u can pm me whenever. good luck:smile:
Original post by ranmu
Hey, i rlly get what u mean cos same, my parents would get so pissed if i said i was depressed, had an eating disorder or social anxiety. so i dont. it really sucks but im used to it at this point. I think they dont understand because they have a more traditional mindset, at least, my parents do. and maybe thats just what they were taught, idk, u can pm me whenever. good luck:smile:

OK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending