The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Ask a Current QUB Student | Queen's University Belfast

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WorterWas5
Hi. I have a two questions. I'm from Canada and applied on New Year's Day to a full-time postgraduate taught program for Sept 2021.

Is it normal for a student application to be kept on "decision pending/initial check" for a lengthly period of time? Were you or fellow students held at this stage long if you know? QUB is my first choice and there is no interviews for this program. Most information I can find here and elsewhere say within a few days I would know the final decision, but it's been closer to a month. Since then I've received three unconditional offers from other UK Universities with similar or better reputations. They were put in the "decision pending/initial check" phase for 1-3 days. I'm just a little stressed knowing they have certain dates I have to reply to these offers very soon. I'm really holding out for QUB.

Also, is it "normal" or should I say common for postgraduates and/or international students to live in student accommodation? In my area of Canada its usually uncommon to live on campus or in student accommodation. The QUB accommodations look great, but if I were to find a personal flat would I be considered more of an outlier?

Hi WorterWas5,

It's awesome that you want to come and study here at Queen's!

It does seem unusual that you haven't had a response on your application yet. This is probably nothing to worry about, but please email the admissions team directly at [email protected] and they should be able to help.

It is not unusual to live in student accommodation as a postgrad here, and I would definitely recommend it for making friends and finding your way around a new city. The city centre BT1 and 2 accommodations are more postgrad-friendly, and offer en-suite and studio rooms.

Thanks for your queries and please contact us again if you have any more questions!:smile:

Team Queen's
Emily, 2nd year Bio Sciences
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I really like the sound of QUB. I'm year 12 and currently deciding where to go and do geography. I have 2 questions:
1 - What is geography at QUB like?
2 - I heard from someone that there is still quite a Protestant / Catholic split and walking into the wrong bar etc could be bad? Is this true? (I don't want it to sound bad what I am saying/ asking, I am just interested and assessing my options for HE.) (this question also really confused/ annoyed me as I like the look of the Uni so much).
Many thanks

Hi anon,

My housemate is in her final year of geography here at Queen's and has really enjoyed it! She likes the freedom with module choices (she did one on space last semester) and is doing her dissertation on chocolate and colonialism. I think it sounds really interesting and shes made me a bit jealous that I don't do it!

I had similar worries to you coming to Belfast from England. The older members of my family still saw Belfast as 'rough' and were reluctant of me coming here. However, when I came I was taken aback by how friendly everyone was, and how safe I felt around the University area and in the city centre. The pubs and clubs you go to as a student are very welcoming and I have never had a bad experience on a night out (or any other time for that matter). In fact, it's within the safest region in the UK according to UK Crime Surveys 2018/19.:smile:

Thanks for your question, and ask away if any more come to mind! Good luck in sixth form and with your choices.

Team Queen's
Emily, 2nd year Bio Sciences
Original post by Queen's University Belfast
Hey everyone! :hello:

Welcome to our 'Ask a Current Student" thread.

Want to know more about studying at Queen's? Or wondering what the craic is really like in Belfast? Then this is the place to ask the people who know best!

If you have applied to Queen's, or are thinking of applying, our student reps are here to help answer any questions you have.

Team Queen's

Hi Everyone,

Both Charlotte and Emily have already introduced themselves on here so I thought I should too!

I'm Alice, I am a second year BSc Architecture student at Queen's. I am from England, I work for the university as a GB/social media rep and tour guide (when those were allowed) meaning you can find lots of videos of me chatting about life in Belfast and at Queen's on the QUB youtube channel! Last year I lived in BT9 accommodation, and this year I live in a private house with 3 other girls. I am diagnosed dyslexic (thank goodness for spell checker) meaning I also have experience with the universities disability services.

If you have questions about moving away from home, Belfast itself, the disability services, my favourite campus building and anything else in between please ask away!

Alice
Team Queen's
Hey Guys!

Can I talk to an International Student doing Master's in Construction and Project Management from Queen's? I have some course specific queries which I seek answers to.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Thothian
Hey Guys!

Can I talk to an International Student doing Master's in Construction and Project Management from Queen's? I have some course specific queries which I seek answers to.

Hi Thothian,

I am really sorry but I am not aware of anyone who is studying that degree. I have had a look for you and there is a previously recorded webinar on that course on the Queen's website that may provide you with the answers.
https://www.qub.ac.uk/Study/PostgraduateStudy/online-postgraduate-events/previous-subject-events/
The Webinar is under the broader title of Natural and Built Environment but is specifically on the Master's you are interested in. It was only recorded last year so it should be relevant and helpful.
I hope that helps with your course specific questions and if you have any other questions we can help :smile:

Thanks,
Team Queen's
Charlotte, Third Year, English and History
Reply 25
Original post by Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Hi everyone!

We are the student rep account run by current Queen's students. We are also here to answer any questions you might have about living and studying in Belfast. Ask us about accomodation, moving away from home and our uni experiences. We can tell you our favourite places to eat, the best place to go out and the best library spot.
Ask away and we will do our best to answer any questions you have :smile:

Thanks,
Team Queen's
Charlotte, Third year, English and History

Hi, was just wonderin what 76 Malone Road is like as a place to live? I'm heading into first year in September. I've seen the small standard room price is £85/week, which is way cheaper than elms. I'm not too fussed on having a big room, more focused on the social aspect. I just figured that the extra money saved could fund societies, nights out, etc. Wonderin if there's any sacrifices that come with the price?
Original post by Semo23
Hi, was just wonderin what 76 Malone Road is like as a place to live? I'm heading into first year in September. I've seen the small standard room price is £85/week, which is way cheaper than elms. I'm not too fussed on having a big room, more focused on the social aspect. I just figured that the extra money saved could fund societies, nights out, etc. Wonderin if there's any sacrifices that come with the price?

Hi Semo23,

I actually don't know of anyone that has lived at 76 Malone Road, so I'm not sure what the general consensus is. Although, I wouldn't recommend it if you're worried about the social aspect. It's small and so you'll probably meet less people than at elms, which could maybe be a bit isolating. I'd say if your social life is a big part of what you want uni to be, elms is worth it for the extra money.

Hope this helps,
Team Queen's
Emily
Hi everyone,
I’ve applied and received and offer for History & International Relations. I was been having a good look at the modules on offer and I was wondering how many exams I would roughly have to take in a given year. Some modules say assessed by essay. Does this mean “paper” like in English unis or is it more like coursework?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.
Original post by pixsperfect
Hi everyone,
I’ve applied and received and offer for History & International Relations. I was been having a good look at the modules on offer and I was wondering how many exams I would roughly have to take in a given year. Some modules say assessed by essay. Does this mean “paper” like in English unis or is it more like coursework?

Hiya!

Congrats on your offer, that's great:smile:

This is a good question. I do science, but from my understanding, your module assessments can either be an essay in an exam setting or by coursework, depending on the module. However, I would advise you to chat with someone who does a course closer to yours here - https://www.qub.ac.uk/Study/chat-with-students/ , for example Mylie who does IR. You could also email your school at [email protected] to see if they can let you know.

Hope this helps somewhat!
Emily
Original post by pixsperfect
Hi everyone,

Hi Pixsperfect,

I am just finishing English and History so can tell you how my degree has been assesed. I only had one actual history exam in first year, but it does depend on modules, and since all have been more essay style assesment. So for example, this term one of my modules consisted of a recorded podcast on a chosen topic, a research project of 3,500 words, tutorial contribution grade and a take home exam. For the take home exam they release essay questions on say the monday and you have to submit on the thursday. It is just a short timed essay.
I don't know about IR but I imagine it is similar. Some module have also had graded tutorial summaries of the weeks readings and last term I had to do quite a few video logs for a module on Crime and Punishment in 19th century Ireland which were really interesting to make.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Team Queen's,
Hey, I've accepted my offer for nursing at queens and I wasnt initially expecting to get into it so I applied for accommodations anyway and without much research I have but bt9 as my first preference and now I'm not so sure if that's a good idea...do I absolutely have to take my first preference?
My only real worry about it is the fact it is shared with 10 other people, I'm not the most extroverted person and I do defo want to put myself out there but 10 people seems like alot...I feel I may be more comfortable with 4 or 5 in bt2? but that is my 2nd preference and idk if it can be switched?
However, I believe there is no parking at bt2? that would really be my main issue but other than that I think bt2 looks much nicer and "homier" compared to bt9? maybe I'm wrong I relalt dont know lol, this is all very stressful and I dont know what to do
Original post by jodie_halpin
Hey, I've accepted my offer for nursing at queens and I wasnt initially expecting to get into it so I applied for accommodations anyway and without much research I have but bt9 as my first preference and now I'm not so sure if that's a good idea...do I absolutely have to take my first preference?
My only real worry about it is the fact it is shared with 10 other people, I'm not the most extroverted person and I do defo want to put myself out there but 10 people seems like alot...I feel I may be more comfortable with 4 or 5 in bt2? but that is my 2nd preference and idk if it can be switched?
However, I believe there is no parking at bt2? that would really be my main issue but other than that I think bt2 looks much nicer and "homier" compared to bt9? maybe I'm wrong I relalt dont know lol, this is all very stressful and I dont know what to do

Hi Jodie,

Both accomodations have pros and cons, but if you are worried that you may have made a mistake I would recommend emailing the accomodation team. [email protected] here is their email, I hope they can help you.

Thanks,
Team Queen's,
Hi there!

I am an offer holder for Medicine 2022. I am super sociable, and really interested in being surrounded by night life and similar extroverts such as me.

I was looking for some guidance on accommodation. I am applying from GB, never visited before so I'd be so grateful for a students perspective. I'd want an en suite too!

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there!

I am an offer holder for Medicine 2022. I am super sociable, and really interested in being surrounded by night life and similar extroverts such as me.

I was looking for some guidance on accommodation. I am applying from GB, never visited before so I'd be so grateful for a students perspective. I'd want an en suite too!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Anonymous,

First off, congratulations on your offer! That is really well done, I know how tough the medicine application process can be.

We have three main undergraduate accommodations, BT1, BT2 and BT9. All three are mixed gender and alcohol allowing, with a range of flat sizes from 10/11 in BT9 and from 3-6 in BT1/2. They all offer en-suite rooms, with BT1/2 also offering studio apartments if this appealed to you. BT1 and 2 are in the city centre, so right next to the hustle and bustle of Belfast meaning its a great location for all that the city has to offer and really easy to get home to after a night out!

They are also our newer accommodation meaning they are really smart and were only opened a couple of years ago. BT1 and 2 are also available to returning undergraduate students not just first years meaning its more of a mix of people which is great for those wanting to get to know lots of people across the university! BT1/2 are also only a 15 minute walk from main campus which is great for being near the university and all that has to offer as well. I have friends who have lived in BT1/2 since first year and absolutely love it there!

BT9 is where I lived during my first year, and I absolutely loved it. It is also only a 15 minute walk from campus, it is a 30 minute walk from the city centre, but don't worry there are busses all the time and taxis are unbelievably cheap in Northern Ireland! It is only for first years meaning it is a great place to be as it's likely you have lots of friends and people from your course just around the corner. I had an ensuite room in a flat of 10 people and it was great fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSX7EAf8Coo&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt4RtQbnxyA

Linked are videos tours to each accommodation if you wanted to have a virtual tour.

I also came over from GB so I can totally understand your dilemma on accommodation - hopefully this has helped a little bit!

Best of luck, any other questions just ask.

Alice, 3rd year BSc Architecture
Team Queen's
Reply 34
Hi Emily, Can you tell me a bit about the biological sciences course. Is it quite broad or does it have a particular slant based on what research is done there. Are the options wide in the course? Thanks, Becky
Original post by Becky M
Hi Emily, Can you tell me a bit about the biological sciences course. Is it quite broad or does it have a particular slant based on what research is done there. Are the options wide in the course? Thanks, Becky

Hi @Becky M,
It's great that you are considering the Biological Sciences course.

https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/biological-sciences-bsc-c100/#overview

This page I have linked might be useful for you. It shows the course overview and shows each module you can take in your 3 years of studying, including the compulsory research project at the end of third year which is lab and/or field based. Queens offer wide options when it comes to course content, there is something for everyone here! Queen's University is also ranked 9th in the UK for Biological Sciences because of its world-class Biological Sciences research capabilities. The School is dedicated to providing the very best learning experiences and environment with students benefitting from our new £40m School building featuring state-of-the-art teaching, research and laboratory facilities.

Good luck! If you ever have any more questions, we are right here.

Tyree, 3rd year BA Music and Audio Production
Team Queens
@Queen's University Belfast Student Reps Hello, I was wondering if you could just clarify some information I found on the website; I was looking at the LLB, but it lists it in 'stages', does each stage just reflect each year, i.e. stage one means year 1?
Original post by Squiggles1238
@Queen's University Belfast Student Reps Hello, I was wondering if you could just clarify some information I found on the website; I was looking at the LLB, but it lists it in 'stages', does each stage just reflect each year, i.e. stage one means year 1?

Hi @Squiggles1238,

Yes that's correct, Stage one is year one and so fourth

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask us!

Tyree, 3rd year Music and Audio Production
Team Queens
Hi, I'm from Northern Ireland and currently in Upper-Sixth having to finalise my choices for UCAS. If there's any way I could get in touch with someone who does the Music and Audio Production Course / Music and Sound Design Course and see what their opinion is of it, that would be great. Also would love to hear what Graduates who have done the course go on to do in the future. Thanks.
Original post by tgordonmallory
Hi, I'm from Northern Ireland and currently in Upper-Sixth having to finalise my choices for UCAS. If there's any way I could get in touch with someone who does the Music and Audio Production Course / Music and Sound Design Course and see what their opinion is of it, that would be great. Also would love to hear what Graduates who have done the course go on to do in the future. Thanks.

Hi @tgordonmallory!

It's Tyree here, I am currently a third year doing the Music and Audio Production course so I can definitely help you with any questions you have.

Personally I love it, you have so many opportunities to get into recording studios and the facilities Queen's have for their music courses are great. You have the opportunity to include sound design modules into your course too, I did this with some radio and broadcast production modules. Theres chances every year to overlap your studies into different sectors of the courses Queens offer, such as film studies, broadcast production and sound design.
The great thing about this module is that it's not just focused on audio recording. You have the opportunity to get into song writing, performance, composition, stage and lighting set up and you get to do this with industry professionals. We have many workshops where we can talk to these people and make connections for later in life. I personally love that about the course, we get to focus on specifics that are important to us and our futures while also learning about the overall recording process.
Currently in third year we have placement, and you can do this in many different places which gives us even more experience for our futures. I know people from my course that are doing their placement at Queens, others at primary schools and I'm doing mine at a radio station so you really do have a lot of control over exactly what you want to focus on.

https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/music-audio-production-ba-w374/#careers if you look into this link it shows where most graduates from this course end up, some including the BBC and UTV.

If you have any more questions please do let me know, and I'll be happy to help! I'm so glad to hear you're considering these courses, they are a lot of fun and sometimes you don't even realise you're learning because it's that interesting.

Tyree, 3rd year Music and Audio Production
Team Queens

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending