The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Ask a Current QUB Student | Queen's University Belfast

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen's University Belfast Student Reps
Hi @tgordonmallory!

It's Tyree here, I am currently a third year doing the Music and Audio Production course so I can definitely help you with any questions you have.

Personally I love it, you have so many opportunities to get into recording studios and the facilities Queen's have for their music courses are great. You have the opportunity to include sound design modules into your course too, I did this with some radio and broadcast production modules. Theres chances every year to overlap your studies into different sectors of the courses Queens offer, such as film studies, broadcast production and sound design.
The great thing about this module is that it's not just focused on audio recording. You have the opportunity to get into song writing, performance, composition, stage and lighting set up and you get to do this with industry professionals. We have many workshops where we can talk to these people and make connections for later in life. I personally love that about the course, we get to focus on specifics that are important to us and our futures while also learning about the overall recording process.
Currently in third year we have placement, and you can do this in many different places which gives us even more experience for our futures. I know people from my course that are doing their placement at Queens, others at primary schools and I'm doing mine at a radio station so you really do have a lot of control over exactly what you want to focus on.

https://www.qub.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/music-audio-production-ba-w374/#careers if you look into this link it shows where most graduates from this course end up, some including the BBC and UTV.

If you have any more questions please do let me know, and I'll be happy to help! I'm so glad to hear you're considering these courses, they are a lot of fun and sometimes you don't even realise you're learning because it's that interesting.

Tyree, 3rd year Music and Audio Production
Team Queens

Hi again, I was just wondering regarding me choosing one of the degrees if I changed my mind on whether to do audio production or sound design early in starting the Uni (say the first 2 weeks) is there any way for me to switch? I am having trouble between deciding the two but hearing that I can choose modules helps, I am assuming there is not too much of a difference but I just don't want to lock myself down in doing something for 3 years knowing I may enjoy doing the other course more. Thanks.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by tgordonmallory
Hi again, I was just wondering regarding me choosing one of the degrees if I changed my mind on whether to do audio production or sound design early in starting the Uni (say the first 2 weeks) is there any way for me to switch? I am having trouble between deciding the two but hearing that I can choose modules helps, I am assuming there is not too much of a difference but I just don't want to lock myself down in doing something for 3 years knowing I may enjoy doing the other course more. Thanks.

Hi @tgordonmallory [br] [br] Yes this is okay! Many people change modules and even degrees so you are totally okay to not be sure if it’s what you want to do! Even if you’re a year 1 or even 2 you can still change degrees! Someone in my second year class changed to Accounting from Music and Audio Production because it suited him more! So yes this is totally okay.
While students do change in the first few weeks, if you’ve done a year and feel like the course isn’t for you and a different course would suit better Student Finance NI will cover that extra year if it’s a 3 year course as they give loans for up to 4 years of University too so that can be one less thing for you to worry about!

hope this helps, if you have any more questions don’t be afraid to ask!
Tyree, Team Queens
3rd year Music and Audio Production
Hi, I've received an offer for liberal arts which I'm hoping to firm! However I can't find any information online on how to degree is awarded at the end? Specifically in regards the pathway. Is there any formal qualification you get that recognises the pathway you choose? e.g BA Music and Liberal arts
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I've received an offer for liberal arts which I'm hoping to firm! However I can't find any information online on how to degree is awarded at the end? Specifically in regards the pathway. Is there any formal qualification you get that recognises the pathway you choose? e.g BA Music and Liberal arts

Hey @anonymous
Congratulations on getting an offer! 🥳 I’m not too sure about the pathway for your degree but I’m attaching a q&a website that might help!

https://www.qub.ac.uk/contact/ask-a-question/

I hope everything gets sorted!

Team Queens
Akilah, BDS4 Dentistry
Hi
Could you please share some information about the summer vacations and other holidays for medical students studying at Queens Belfast
Thanks
Hi
Does the university provide summer vacations for medical students, if yes, when do the vacations start?
Thanks
Hey👋

After having your place confirmed, how long does it usually take to receive more information from Queens?

Also, when does induction usually take place, if the course starts on 18/09?

Thanks! 😊
Original post by krishna radha
Hi
Could you please share some information about the summer vacations and other holidays for medical students studying at Queens Belfast
Thanks

Hi @krishnaradha

Medical students have a summer break! It usually spans from mid June to early September!
Hope to see you in September at Queens!

Team Queens,
Akilah, Dentistry BDS4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey👋

After having your place confirmed, how long does it usually take to receive more information from Queens?

Also, when does induction usually take place, if the course starts on 18/09?

Thanks! 😊

Hey @anonymous,

Congrats on getting an offer to Queens!
You would usually start getting information around late July/August, but if you have any urgent queries, feel free to email the university at any time.

Hope this helps.

Team Queens,
Akilah, BDS4 Dentistry
Original post by Queen's University Belfast
Hey everyone! :hello:
Welcome to our 'Ask a Current Student" thread.
Want to know more about studying at Queen's? Or wondering what the craic is really like in Belfast? Then this is the place to ask the people who know best!
If you have applied to Queen's, or are thinking of applying, our student reps are here to help answer any questions you have.
Team Queen's

Hi!

I have an offer from Queens Belfast for Computer Science. I just wanted to ask that is there any chance I can take optional or core modules from any of the other departmental subjects (Computer Engineering or Electronic Engineering specifically) in addition to my computer science course. I am unable to choose these degrees due to not having an A-Level in Maths.

Thanks!
Original post by Queen's University Belfast
Hey everyone! :hello:
Welcome to our 'Ask a Current Student" thread.
Want to know more about studying at Queen's? Or wondering what the craic is really like in Belfast? Then this is the place to ask the people who know best!
If you have applied to Queen's, or are thinking of applying, our student reps are here to help answer any questions you have.
Team Queen's

Do you know anyone in the UOTC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending