The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
As a result of hearing numerous break-ins into students' hostel and stealing away students' laptops and valuables, I am getting abit freaked out now.

Is Manchester's students' hostel that insecure too? :confused:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 41
I wouldn't say the further you go out the more depressing the suburbs are, you need to see more of Manchester other than the 142 Wilmslow Road bus route. Believe me I know pretty much all of south Manchester inside and out. I've walked down almost every street.
Reply 42
Isn't there like 2/3 murders every day in Manchester?
Reply 43
Bilal786
Isn't there like 2/3 murders every day in Manchester?

Nope, statisticaly there is less crime than Nottingham or London. I am not sure exactly what the murder rate is, probably one a week in Greater Manchester at the very most, and thats out 2.5 million people.
Reply 44
AT82
Nope, statisticaly there is less crime than Nottingham or London. I am not sure exactly what the murder rate is, probably one a week in Greater Manchester at the very most, and thats out 2.5 million people.

Ah OK.

What places in manchester should be avoided?

I heard Mossside is pretty bad. What about all the others?
Reply 45
Bilal786
Ah OK.

What places in manchester should be avoided?

I heard Mossside is pretty bad. What about all the others?

That is the joke, Moss Side isn't that bad at all, its way way over hyped. You can buy 1 bedroom flats in Moss Side for £170k so the area can't be that bad. Pretty much all of South Manchester is ok, Wythenshawe should be avoided though, as well as some of the smaller estates such as Merseybank, Mualdeth Road but as a student your're unlikely to come across them.

A lot of North Manchester should be avoided though, places like Moston, Blakely, Cheetham Hill, parts of Salford, Beswick, Clayton all these areas are pretty rough.

Fallowfield is a bit rough but the amount of students make the place feel safe.

Parts of Moss Side and Hulme should be avoided, but the main roads are perfectly save. I have traveled through this area about 10,000 times now on the bus and have never seen any trouble.
Reply 46
its true that people who live in fallowfield stay in fallowfield and people who live near uni/town stay there.

i live near umist/town centre which i love, and i have never even been to fallowfield lol. if im going on a night out i always go into town, or sometimes the oxford road. fallowfield is too far away for me!

and im from reading, and manchester is colder than here by a few degrees but its not that bad. i think you feel the benefit of living down south in the summer because often the northern parts dont get the heatwaves, but youre at hoe on holiday then anyway. and manchester isnt say as far north as newcastle or somewhere like that so it can get pretty warm.

and when im at uni so many people who are on my course, and loads of the lecturers are all southern so i dont actually hear many manc accents unless i go shopping or something. sometimes i actually forget im up north!!

the weather isnt as bad, yeah it rains sometimes but my first year of uni it hardly rained at all. its been worse this year but i mean it rains everywhere in england.
Reply 47
Erm Manchester does have heat waves, it got above 30c quite a lot last year and especialy in 2003.

Also Fallowfield is not far at all, I have to travel from Chorlton to Salford daily, which is about 5 miles on two buses, I wish I could just jump on the 142 for 10 minutes. Fallowfield is actually in the central Manchester district.

Temperatures are not as warm as the South East, but there are not much different to the South West - but the south west does get more sunshines so its warm more frequently I guess.
Reply 48
I said they dont get heatwaves as often. And its normally warmer and sunnier here than it is when im at uni.
Reply 49
claire19c
I said they dont get heatwaves as often. And its normally warmer and sunnier here than it is when im at uni.

But you're probably at home more in the warmer times such as summer.

Latest

Trending

Trending