The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or Manchester (UoM)?

Hi, I'm an international student and have been offered places in Durham and Manchester (MA in Creative Writing). Both courses are good, but I'm leaning more towards Durham majorly because 1. I'd love to have the whole collegiate experience 2. their English Department is better regarded 3. the research ties and opportunities are probably better. One potential drawback is that there might be fewer opportunities for part-time jobs to fund my living costs since it's a smaller place than Manchester. I'd quite like to hear your thoughts on this matter! Any tips or suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, I went to Manchester uni and it was such a great experience. I don't know much about Durham but going to uni in a big city like Manchester was definitely worth it for me :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by GravelKing
Hi, I went to Manchester uni and it was such a great experience. I don't know much about Durham but going to uni in a big city like Manchester was definitely worth it for me :smile:

Thank you! May I know what your subject was?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by arundhati94
Thank you! May I know what your subject was?

I studied Economics :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by arundhati94
Hi, I'm an international student and have been offered places in Durham and Manchester (MA in Creative Writing). Both courses are good, but I'm leaning more towards Durham majorly because 1. I'd love to have the whole collegiate experience 2. their English Department is better regarded 3. the research ties and opportunities are probably better. One potential drawback is that there might be fewer opportunities for part-time jobs to fund my living costs since it's a smaller place than Manchester. I'd quite like to hear your thoughts on this matter! Any tips or suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance :smile:

Hi. As also an international student of UoM, I can offer some subjective suggestions to you:

Actually I think both these uni are at the same level, so it's important to choose the courses that are most consistent with your talent or interest.

Manchester is more culturally inclusive and has more international students. But it means more inner competition. I am a Materials Science student and I am still struggling to get a full-fund PhD although my overall grade is over 80. Also it sounds like liberal schools even have much fewer opportunities.

It's true that in Manchester there are more part-time job opportunities. I live in Hulme where the rent cost is low but quite close to the uni, and lots of pubs where you can get employed.

I hope these will help you to justify the cons and pros of studying in Manchester.
Hiya!

I'm aware this thread is quite Manchester heavy in the replies but as a recent Uni of Manchester student I thought I'd chime in!

Manchester is very diverse and there's even an International Society which is thriving! Lots of opportunities and events, as well as other people in the same boat as you as an international student to help you feel more at home!

There's plenty of jobs around in Manchester as there are so many places here to work at- but maybe you could find a job online doing remote work now so that you're taking that out of your decision?

Funding is important for a phd so worth investigating both uni options and seeing if Manchester offers the same level of funding!
Good luck with everything :smile:

Reply 6
Which one did you end up picking? I will be doing the Creative Writing MA at Durham this fall!

Quick Reply

Latest