The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Keele MSc Counselling + Psychotherapy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey did you apply for the course? I am waiting to find out if my application has been successful and if I’ll be invited for an interview. Fingers crossed!
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 41
Original post by shananicole
Hello!! I have also applied for that MSc - when is your interview? I'm really struggling to find any guidance on it as well. Do you have any social media? Would love to chat about it, and see if we could get any help from each other!

Hi, did you have the interview?

Original post by Aasilahfawzy
Hello! I’ve got my interview one the 1st :smile: when is yours? And yess no problem. Just let me know your LinkedIn name and I’ll add you :smile:

Hi, did you have the interview?
I applied by the january 28 closing date. However, I have not received a response as yet. The process seems rather long.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mentalhealth125
I applied by the january 28 closing date. However, I have not received a response as yet. The process seems rather long.

Maybe email admissions? I followed up a couple of times to get more details and they usually get back to you pretty quickly!

Hope you hear back!
They informed me that applications are still being considered.
(Original post by Mentalhealth125)They informed me that applications are still being considered.

Hi @Mentalhealth125,

It sounds as if you've now been able to contact the admissions team to get an update on your application. If you do require further updates, you can contact our admissions team via Unibuddy chat on https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/staff/5f340385d825c3049e39d3de, or email them [email protected].

In the meantime, if you have any questions about postgraduate life at Keele, I'm more than happy to help! I'm a PhD student in English Literature but I've been at Keele since my MA so happy to chat about student life there :smile:

Amy Louise
On average, how many students are accepted every year? Are the classes very small?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mentalhealth125
On average, how many students are accepted every year? Are the classes very small?

Hi @Mentalhealth125,

I'm not sure on exact student numbers for the last few cohorts on the MSc in Counselling and Psychotherapy but, as a general rule, postgraduate courses do tend to have smaller cohorts than undergraduate classes.

When I did my MA in English Literature, for example, there were 11 of us in the cohort. Some of our classes were shared with other courses in the department (for example, our module on Research Skills featured students from History and Music Technology, as well as MRes and some PhD students) but it was rare for us to have more than 25-30 people in a class and the majority of my seminars features much smaller groups: 7-10 students on average.

I'll see if I can find out more specific details about the Counselling and Psychotherapy programme from the Course Director and come back to you with further details.

Amy :smile:
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi @Mentalhealth125,

I'm not sure on exact student numbers for the last few cohorts on the MSc in Counselling and Psychotherapy but, as a general rule, postgraduate courses do tend to have smaller cohorts than undergraduate classes.

When I did my MA in English Literature, for example, there were 11 of us in the cohort. Some of our classes were shared with other courses in the department (for example, our module on Research Skills featured students from History and Music Technology, as well as MRes and some PhD students) but it was rare for us to have more than 25-30 people in a class and the majority of my seminars features much smaller groups: 7-10 students on average.

I'll see if I can find out more specific details about the Counselling and Psychotherapy programme from the Course Director and come back to you with further details.

Hi @Mentalhealth125,

Further to the above, my colleague has advised me that the current cohort for our MSc Counselling and Psychotherapy programme is around 150 students. However, that number is made up of a combination of part-time and full-time students - so not all of the enrolled students would be in all of your classes, if that makes sense?

In terms of tutorials, it very much depends upon the modules you're taking as class size will vary depending on the number of students enrolled on the module in any given year.

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any other questions!

Reply 49
Hi everyone

Just wondering how it's going for everyone.

I'm applying for a place in the 2023 intake.

If anyone has time I would love to hear how it went for you.

Clive
Reply 50
Hi! I have applied for this and was wondering if anybody knows how many days per week the full time course is? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Tremi
Hi! I have applied for this and was wondering if anybody knows how many days per week the full time course is? Thank you :smile:

Hi @Tremi,

It's difficult to give an exact timetable for an MA course because it can vary from year to year and be dependant upon which modules and components you take. In essence, a full-time course is exactly that: full-time. So you should expect to be studying for around 38-40 hours a week, equivalent to a full-time job.

How much of that is spent on campus in lectures/seminars/workshops etc. varies hugely though. In my MA year (I did MA English Literature), I was on campus 3 days a week in my first semester, then 2 days a week in the second semester with another day spent at a work placement. I had around 8-12 hours of 'contact' time (seminars, workshops, and tutorials) each week, but often opted to attend optional research training, or to spend longer on campus to use facilities such as the library and the KPA.

With counselling and psychotherapy, it's a more hands-on course - plus there is the placement element as well - so I would probably expect both the amount of contact time and the amount of time you'd spend in formal classes to be a little higher.

I know that's a bit vague but, because courses have so many variable factors (modules, placements, timetabling etc.), it's difficult to give you an exact idea of how many days you'd need to come onto campus. That said, the course teams do recognise that students may need to schedule in childcare, or other caring and working responsibilities, so there's no harm dropping them an email if you need to have slightly more specific guidance!

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise
PhD English Literature & Student Ambassador, Keele University
Reply 52
Hi Clive
I've also applied for the 2023 intake, and just been asked to complete a questionnaire as part of my application. Does this sound the same for you?
Viki
Original post by Vecee
Hi Clive
I've also applied for the 2023 intake, and just been asked to complete a questionnaire as part of my application. Does this sound the same for you?
Viki

Hi Viki,
I have applied for the September 2023 intake as well. I also received the email to complete the questionnaire by 27th Feb. Would be lovely to have a chat with you.
what experiences and qualifications have you got ?
Reply 54
Hi Clive.. I have an MSc in Psychology and have taught Psychology for the past 20 years. I'm coming back to the Manchester after 16 years overseas, so this is a "second career" move for me. I've had some experience in counselling students and I did a couple of years on a part-time transactional analysis course before I left the UK. I think there isn't a one-size fits all requirement though, and life experience should be a big part of it..
I'm also looking to go full-time (if I'm successful :smile:)
How about you?
V
Original post by Vecee
Hi Clive.. I have an MSc in Psychology and have taught Psychology for the past 20 years. I'm coming back to the Manchester after 16 years overseas, so this is a "second career" move for me. I've had some experience in counselling students and I did a couple of years on a part-time transactional analysis course before I left the UK. I think there isn't a one-size fits all requirement though, and life experience should be a big part of it..
How about you?
V

Seems like you've got good chances of getting in, V. I also have a psychology MSc and a level 2 counselling certificate. In terms of experience, i work as a wellbeing support worker in an integrated mental health team. I applied for fulltime as well.
R.
Reply 56
Likewise then, R :smile:...
Reply 57
Original post by Vecee
Hi Clive
Viki

Hi Viki, Yes, Sent mine in, now the wait. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has received an interview date.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 58
Hi Vecee. Thanks for getting in touch. Yes, as an older mature student I am relying upon lived experience to a great extent, but also how well I have made sense of it in regard to the course content. In my case, that doesn't include counselling or psychotherapy as a qualified practitioner, and I haven't been in formal academic education for several decades, so hopefully I have been able to put things across coherently enough to be considered.
Best of luck!
Clive

Original post by Vecee
How about you?
V
I’m also waiting for an interview date. Hopefully they will come through soon. Although I have some experience working in student wellbeing, this will also be a second career for me.
M

Quick Reply

Latest