The Student Room Group

QMUL - MSc Mental Health: Psychological Therapies - Worth it?

Scroll to see replies

is there any work experience relevant to degree in psychology. I have done 74 hrs in a charity shop doing till work, a first aid course and in summer im gonna do 60 hrs of voluntary work and a week of working with people with learning disabilities and stuff and i have applied to volunteering in childline
(edited 10 months ago)
I don't think you need work experience for a degree, but it would vary from course to course (and I did my degree all the way back in 2009🤣). psychology degree is about theory - most of them do not require a placement - I'd suggest looking into the unis you like and look at what they offer and how you would be assessed.

I know people in my cohort trained and volunteered with bereavement counselling services or relationship counselling services (they had to pay for the training)

Many come out of a psychology degree scrambling for an assistant psychologist post. It's very competitive and you have to stand out (which is why some might choose to do a Master's)

Medicine and Clinical Psychology are hard (and I'm neither) but it's a huge commitment and won't happen overnight
Also it looks like you're being very proactive by looking at volunteering opportunities already, that sounds like it will demonstrate your skills and knowledge when working with others, sounds great!
Original post by Lozlozloz21
Also it looks like you're being very proactive by looking at volunteering opportunities already, that sounds like it will demonstrate your skills and knowledge when working with others, sounds great!

Awwww thank you so much for replying back to me every time it means a-lot.

Quick Reply

Latest