The Student Room Group

Should Sex Laws For Teachers Be Changed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
yawn
It's all about being in a 'position of trust.'

So, no!

Agreed. I really don't think the law should be changed.
Yup, think the laws are pretty pathetic at the moment.
Reply 42
eulerwaswrong
or a stunning 23 year old geography teacher for that matter?

edit: strange how we all think female teacher - male pupil relationship is fine. but a male teacher - female pupil is morally wrong

Relationship, no. An "extra-curricular" session with a history vixen and a geography stunner, very yes.
Reply 43
beckaboos.
Agreed!

Great minds think alike (:
Yes. Age of sexual consent is 16, why not student-teacher relations? It doesn't really make sense. Rather, the law should be changed so that intimidation and harrasment remains illegal, and there is protection from that. It's not necessarily abuse of a teacher's position if the teacher and student get into relations. It might be questionable, but I don't think that it should be illegal. Yes, I realise that teachers can sometimes threaten lower grades and poor references, and use that as leverage, but that can be reported. It's the same with bosses threatening chances of promotion if an employee doesn't do certain sexual favours for them. No different, really. There should simply be measures to protect everyone against that.
Reply 45
yawn
Doctors get struck off the GMC for having sex with patients, so why should teachers be treated differently?

Fair enough, but are they put on the sex offenders register?
Reply 46
Taken from the teachernet website referencing the Sexual Offenders Act of 2003.

The Act's provisions meant that, subject to a number of limited definitions, it would be a criminal offence for a person in a position of trust to engage in any sexual activity with a person aged under 18 with whom they have a relationship of trust, irrespective of the age of consent even if the basis for their relationship is consensual. A relationship of trust exists one where a member of staff or volunteer is in a position of power or influence over a pupil or student by virtue of the work or nature of the activity being undertaken. All staff should ensure that their relationships with pupils are appropriate to the age and gender of the pupils, and take care that their language or conduct does not give rise to comment or speculation. Attitudes, demeanour and language all require care and thought, particularly when members of staff are dealing with adolescent boys and girls.
From time to time staff may encounter young people who display attention seeking behaviour, or profess to be attracted to them. Staff should aim to deal with those situations sensitively and appropriately, but ensure that their behaviour cannot be misinterpreted. In these circumstances, the member of staff should also ensure that a senior colleague is aware of the situation.
Reply 47
yawn
Taken from the teachernet website referencing the Sexual Offenders Act of 2003.

But why 18 though? Thats the bit I dont understand, consent age is 16, so surely it should be anyone under the age of 16 or anyone who has not finished their compulsary education yet.
Reply 48
tom//
Fair enough, but are they put on the sex offenders register?

Depending on the age of the patient, yes.
Reply 49
yawn
Depending on the age of the patient, yes.

You know, I never thought of that, is it anyone under 16 or 18?
No, for the simple fact that they are in a position of care and it would conflict with their job. The same goes for doctors (with patients of any age), social workers and so on. If you really want to be with your pupil, patient etc. you should first sever the professional relationship by whatever means necessary.
Reply 51
tom//
But why 18 though? Thats the bit I dont understand, consent age is 16, so surely it should be anyone under the age of 16 or anyone who has not finished their compulsary education yet.

Although secondary education is currently compulsory up to the age of 16, students often stay on at school until they are 18 (and is some cases, 19 if they do a third year in the 6th form.)

All the time a student is attending a school, whether the relationship is based on consensual sex, is irrelevant because of the nature of the job...ie a position of trust. The same risk of being placed on the sex offenders register are taken when abusing a position of trust with older vulnerable people.

It's all hinges on being in a 'position of trust.'
Reply 52
tom//
You know, I never thought of that, is it anyone under 16 or 18?

Generally it's 18 but some doctors have been placed on the sex offenders register when having a sexual relationship with older patients.

Again, it's all down to being in a 'position of trust' so for example, a woman patient undergoing gynaecological examination can be victims of abuses of position of trust. Or a psychiatric patient of any age can be abused whilst their doctor is in a position of trust.

Buzz words are 'position of trust' and vulnerability.
yawn
Although secondary education is currently compulsory up to the age of 16, students often stay on at school until they are 18 (and is some cases, 19 if they do a third year in the 6th form.)

All the time a student is attending a school, whether the relationship is based on consensual sex, is irrelevant because of the nature of the job...ie a position of trust. The same risk of being placed on the sex offenders register are taken when abusing a position of trust with older vulnerable people.

It's all hinges on being in a 'position of trust.'

They call it being in a position of trust, but it's not like I necessarily trust my teachers.
Reply 54
It should be changed but it should be up to individual schools if they wish to fire a teacher who gets caught for professional misconduct if they are seen to have anything other then a normal pupil-teacher relationship within the school gates.
I think it should be banned at a school/college level as it is very unprofessional, and could potentially lead to bias on coursework, etc. However, it shouldn't be a criminal offensive if the student is above the age of consent.
Reply 56
Divide By Zero
They call it being in a position of trust, but it's not like I necessarily trust my teachers.

Being in a 'position of trust' is very prescriptive and is not dependant on whether you trust your teachers or not.:smile:
Reply 57
RyanT
It should be changed but it should be up to individual schools if they wish to fire a teacher who gets caught for professional misconduct if they are seen to have anything other then a normal pupil-teacher relationship within the school gates.

A Governing Body has a responsibility in law to protect its pupils.

They are not able to exercise discretion if "on the balance of probabilities" an abuse of a position of trust has occurred.
It's either that, or they raise the age of consent to 18 :ninja:

:rolleyes:
Reply 59
yawn
Doctors get struck off the GMC for having sex with patients, so why should teachers be treated differently?

Do those doctors get put on the sex offenders register? Indeed, why should they be treated differently?

I think it should be a similar situation to doctors. Having sex with a student should be grounds for being fired and barred from teaching. But put on the sex offenders register? That's quite a harsh punishment for something that under slightly different circumstances would have been completely legal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending