The Student Room Group

What subject should I pursue at university if I eventually want to...?

...get a doctorate related to these niche topics?

I've always had an interest in nurses, mathematicians, and monks/nuns (yes, really :wink:).

I'm pretty sure sociology, anthropology, and psychology would be the best choices. I know these professions can be studied within all three disciplines but still, is one of them considerably more suitable than the others? There's also guidance/careers counselling but I think that's very rare at doctorate level and maybe not at all...or am I mistaken?
Reply 1
EDIT: I'm interested in their professional experiences and motivations....and what people who practice these professions tend to have in common in terms of their psychological characteristics and background.
Reply 2
Bump
Original post by lyriclex
EDIT: I'm interested in their professional experiences and motivations....and what people who practice these professions tend to have in common in terms of their psychological characteristics and background.

This isn't a sensible life goal. You can't reasonably plan your life around a 3 year essay you will have completed by the age of about 25. What are you going to do with the rest of your life?

Do 3 A levels in the subjects you are best at. If you are going to get more than about BBB, apply to university.
Do an undergrad in the subject you are best at.
If you've got really good grades at the end of your second year and are enjoying study, then apply for a Masters.
If you get onto a Masters degree, and are doing well on it, then you consider whether you want a career in academia and if you want to do a PhD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending