The Student Room Group

Neuroscience Masters and PhD, Sport Science background

Is it possible to take a masters and PhD in neuroscience with a sports background? I’ve been taking sports for the sake of collecting a degree (family,ego etc) but I’ve always had an interest in the brain aswell as technology so I could mix the two and work in machine learning, more or less data scientist work. Would I have to start again or would I be able to get a masters and PhD and catch up on undergrad knowledge during this time.
It depends on how science-heavy your current degree is. Different unis will have their own specific entry requirements, but a neuroscience msc will typically ask for a biosciences degree at undergrad, or specifically a neuroscience or psych degree. Some will also offer it to quantitative-heavy courses such as physics. You’d have to check the course entry requirements at the unis you’re interested in.

In terms of a PhD you may find it slightly harder to find a neuroscience position than someone with a neuroscience undergrad but it’s not impossible. Get as much research experience as you can whilst doing your msc, and maybe take a year out after the msc to get more specific research experience.
ucl offer phd sports science neuro science projects under the lead flomina ronca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending