The Student Room Group

Is it safe to send a passport through the mail?

I don't know how, but I managed to lose my provisional license last night which was my only form of id on me. Normally, I would just order a new one and not go out for a couple weeks but since it's Halloween on tuesday and I have an event I would really like to go to, I have asked my mum to send me my passport using royal mail's guaranteed next day delivery so it should arrive by 1pm on Tuesday. Is this safe or is there are chance it could be lost? I'm debating going back home to pick it up.
Original post by purple256
I don't know how, but I managed to lose my provisional license last night which was my only form of id on me. Normally, I would just order a new one and not go out for a couple weeks but since it's Halloween on tuesday and I have an event I would really like to go to, I have asked my mum to send me my passport using royal mail's guaranteed next day delivery so it should arrive by 1pm on Tuesday. Is this safe or is there are chance it could be lost? I'm debating going back home to pick it up.

Hey there @purple256 !

There's always a risk with anything that it'll go missing. No parcel is completely safe to send. You could try sending it by special delivery which is Royal Mail's safest postal option. It is a little bit more expensive but may be worth it in your case. If you get it tracked and it gets lost, you could at least have reassurance in knowing that's what happened. All you have to do is go on the government website and cancel your passport but it may take a while to get a new one through. My latest one took 2 weeks to come so not really helpful in the case of your event. My parents have sent me a phone before using special delivery and it came the next day tracked but there is always a risk with parcels that they might go missing. At the end of the day, when you first got your passport it will have been sent to you in the post.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
As above there's always a risk. You should get it sent as tracked and signed for with whatever the appropriate coverage for that type of document is - the post office can advise. That way if it does go missing you can get the insured value of it back and make arrangements to apply for a new one.

The level of risk also varies depending on your circumstance - if you are a non-UK national on a visa which is contained in your passport obviously it's a lot more expensive and complicated dealing with things if it goes missing. If you're a UK national and aren't planning to travel soon then it's an inconvenience but as long as you report it missing to be cancelled and apply for a new one it's more of an administrative process than anything.

That said as someone who has had to send my passport to SFE (with my ILR documents included up until they rolled out the BRPs) routinely I have not had it lost or damaged when sending as tracked and signed. It's always a bit nerve wracking until they send it back of course...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending