The Student Room Group

How long do protein shakes take to heal an injury up

So I've been running for two years now and the past 3-4 months I've been unable to afford protein shakes, I've never had a great diet but prior to being unable to afford protein shakes I never had any lasting injuries but now that I've stopped taking protein I've gone from one shin splint to another and now I am getting bad ankle pain. It feels as if I am falling apart and after reading how important protein is I've found my culprit. (It isn't because I've changed my training, I am running the least amount of mileage per week in a long time)

I know that protein powders aren't as beneficial as a healthy meal (don't bore me with the details this isn't what I am here for) What I am asking is how long should it take for protein to repair my injury once I get protein into my diet again?

I've already started, I had one shake last night and I've had one this morning, I am aiming to have two a day. Is two a day enough for an injury to heal for someone that has a low protein in-take when it comes to solid foods?
Reply 1
The protein will help in the long term, how long it depends takes depends on many factors, including rest. It depends on how much protein is in each shake , it is recommended that people eat between 0.5-1 gram of protein for every kilogram of body weight.
You can't heal inflammation using protein shakes.
Original post by lorimebr
The protein will help in the long term, how long it depends takes depends on many factors, including rest. It depends on how much protein is in each shake , it is recommended that people eat between 0.5-1 gram of protein for every kilogram of body weight.

For a sedentary person not an active person.

Quick Reply

Latest