The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

*AngelFish*
Ok so I did decide to apply to Oxford UCL Bristol and Cardiff. But I did my UKCAT today and got 680 av (620/610/690/800). Is it worth swapping UCL for Newcastle? Is it likely that I'd get an offer with that score?

Im predicted AAA at Alvl but only got abbc at AS btw

You realise 680 is a very very good score? It can almost in no way hinder your application.
Reply 2
Oh cool =] I was really happy with it, but I wasnt sure what sort of score most unis looked for.
I know the average is 500-700 so I thought my score was sort of high average. Hope this makes sense lol =D
The average is 600. It says MOST people get between 500 and 700. So your in the top end of MOST people, only a fraction get higher or lower than that range. Apply to UCL if that's where you want to go :smile:
Don't UCL use the BMAT anyway?
*AngelFish*
Ok so I did decide to apply to Oxford UCL Bristol and Cardiff. But I did my UKCAT today and got 680 av (620/610/690/800). Is it worth swapping UCL for Newcastle? Is it likely that I'd get an offer with that score?

Well done for a great ukcat! :smile:
Iv got mine tomorrow and literally pooing myself! :frown:
Canterbury eh? Where do you go?
xylophonefairy
Don't UCL use the BMAT anyway?

This.
Reply 7
She's asking if it's worth her swapping UCL for Newcastle because she has a good UKCAT and so is wondering whether she is very likely to get an offer seeing as she has such a good score. I can't answer that for you though i'm afraid because i'm not sure how much emphasis Newcastle put on the UKCAT.
Reply 8
*AngelFish*

Oxford and UCL use BMAT! Newcastle could be a wise choice with your UKCAT score as they rank for interview using UKCAT scores and you would have a good chance of being ranked highly enough to get an interview with a score of 680. Being brutally honest, I think with ABBC at AS-level, your chances of Oxford are very, very, very slim. You would need to have nearly straight A*'s at GCSE and a very high (20+) BMAT score (most likely).
Liar
She's asking if it's worth her swapping UCL for Newcastle because she has a good UKCAT and so is wondering whether she is very likely to get an offer seeing as she has such a good score. I can't answer that for you though i'm afraid because i'm not sure how much emphasis Newcastle put on the UKCAT.

Ah.

Yes, it would be worth it. Newcastle rank potential students for interview by their academia and UKCAT score. The personal statement only comes in to it at interview time.
Reply 10
Yea I may apply to Newcastle then.
My university advisor (who wen to Oxford himself) has said that Oxford dont look at AS results too closely, and my reference from my school focuses completely on the fact that they strongly believe I should get AAAA at alvl ( I swapped schools for sixth form) Do you really think I have no chance? =[
Reply 11
Sprout_hair
Well done for a great ukcat! :smile:
Iv got mine tomorrow and literally pooing myself! :frown:
Canterbury eh? Where do you go?

Your schools twin :p:

Good Luck- or rather how did you do?
Did you get to do yours in Canterbury? i had to go all the way to chatham grrr =/
*AngelFish*
Your schools twin :p:

Good Luck- or rather how did you do?
Did you get to do yours in Canterbury? i had to go all the way to chatham grrr =/

Ha.. Boys school eh?
Traitor.. :p:
Errm.. i got 625.. :frown: not so good really but relieved its over!
Guess ill have to rely on reapplying next year!
Yeah.. did it in Canterbury!
When did you do it? They had loads of dates when i booked it!
Reply 13
Sprout_hair
Ha.. Boys school eh?
Traitor.. :p:
Errm.. i got 625.. :frown: not so good really but relieved its over!
Guess ill have to rely on reapplying next year!
Yeah.. did it in Canterbury!
When did you do it? They had loads of dates when i booked it!

Well not really traitor, never actually went to the girls, but I did get a place there for 6th form :biggrin:
I only booked it not last friday but the one before (i think the 26th) Anyway it was the deadline day so that was literally the only place left :o:
I was going to apply to all BMAT unis then decided at the last minute to take UKCAT and apply to Cardiff :biggrin:
*AngelFish*
Well not really traitor, never actually went to the girls, but I did get a place there for 6th form :biggrin:
I only booked it not last friday but the one before (i think the 26th) Anyway it was the deadline day so that was literally the only place left :o:
I was going to apply to all BMAT unis then decided at the last minute to take UKCAT and apply to Cardiff :biggrin:

Ahh righty.. Iv always been a loyal Langton girl.
Oh i booked mine about a month ago but chose to do it on the last day possible!
Wow.. well its good to have a mix anyway.
Where have you applied to?
Reply 15
Im applying to Oxford, Cardiff, Bristol and UCL/Newcastle. Really need to decide, although Ive already told BMAT that Im applying to UCL so I may not be able to change to Newcastle. How about you?
That's a really good UKCAT score, so you could get into any on the basis of that, although UCL Oxford etc want BMAT... I'm applying to UCL Oxford and Cardiff too :biggrin:
Reply 17
Calumcalum
That's a really good UKCAT score, so you could get into any on the basis of that, although UCL Oxford etc want BMAT... I'm applying to UCL Oxford and Cardiff too :biggrin:

Woah!!! I just looked at your UKCAT score, 790, genius!!! :eek:
Yey I would be so so happy if I get an offer at Oxford, looks like you'll have no problem. But I think Id be happy at any of my other options
Whats your 4th option for med?
*AngelFish*
Woah!!! I just looked at your UKCAT score, 790, genius!!! :eek:
Yey I would be so so happy if I get an offer at Oxford, looks like you'll have no problem. But I think Id be happy at any of my other options
Whats your 4th option for med?

Lol you're the one with 8 A*s! It was probably luck in the UKCAT more than anything :biggrin: Got a good nights sleep though aha, yeah I'm not too confident on Oxford simply because I suck in terms of medical work experience and there's all these people with like a million A*s! Good luck :smile: My 4th option is Manchester :smile: Oddly it was gonna be Bristol but they said you needed medical work experience :frown:
Reply 19
Calumcalum
Lol you're the one with 8 A*s! It was probably luck in the UKCAT more than anything :biggrin: Got a good nights sleep though aha, yeah I'm not too confident on Oxford simply because I suck in terms of medical work experience and there's all these people with like a million A*s! Good luck :smile: My 4th option is Manchester :smile: Oddly it was gonna be Bristol but they said you needed medical work experience :frown:

Do you not have any work exp.?
I've got about a week and a bits worth, but I think it's quality not quantity that they're looking for. I also volunteer once a week in an old peoples home and have been for about 6 months so I guess that will help. :p:

Nah I'm really worried, I'd rather have your grades than mine!!! My GCSEs were good but my ASs werent so, they were all really close to the next grade up :frown: But my school predicts me As still :smile: I think I just mucked up last year particularly chemistry, which is the most important one. i really hope they don't look too closely at ASs it doesn't seem fair that I have to put mine on my UCAs form cos my school cashed them in when other people can just put pending :frown:

Good Luck to you too, Im sure you'll get in wherever you want :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending