The Student Room Group

BPTC Provider - BPP/UoLaw/City/ICCA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jubbyjubtree
Can't see anyone who has discussed the ICCA in detail yet on this thread, but as a current student I can try to give a review for those considering it:

-the teaching is brilliant - for the second part of the course, you are in quite small teaching groups which enables you to get a significant amount of airtime and personalised feedback in lessons
-the course is the cheapest currently available (main reason I chose it, it was fully covered by my Inns scholarship!)
-they are very responsive to student feedback - as someone who was part of the pilot year of the course, I can say they really listen to us and try to act on our comments
-the course materials are very very good - the online first part of the course has been in the works for many years and is extremely comprehensive, they created a question bank of civil/criminal lit-type questions which are integrated throughout the part one course + were very helpful for revision
-the ICCA has a partnership with the charity Advocate, and volunteering opportunities are available through other organisations too e.g. Justice - I did the Advocate scheme and it was vvv useful for pupillage apps!
-they have a dedicated careers adviser who is lovely and you can book appointments with her pretty easily
-they offer free counselling via an external service, I've used it and it was v helpful - they also offer an online module on wellbeing at the Bar + talks about wellbeing
-they have a programme of extracurricular talks which so far has featured Dinah Rose QC and Baroness Hale amongst others!
-the course is prestigious - I was asked about it at numerous pupillage and mini-pupillage interviews, and the course creators have been very open that they created the course with the intention of making it selective to attract the best students. Pupillage is competitive and they want to reduce the amount of people taking the bar course who will waste money on it only to miss out on pupillage later down the line - hence why the course is split into two parts, if you fail the first (at just over £1,000) you are under no obligation to continue with the rest (£11,000ish)
-their online setup is much better than that of other providers - it was in the works for years and part one was built to be an online course, so whilst many providers had to move online because of the pandemic the ICCA was already set up this way
-part one works well for independent learners (but you won't meet your classmates unless you organise something yourselves until part two, which can be a bit lonely if you're very social!)

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head - if I hadn't gone with the ICCA I would have gone for City but that's just my own opinion! If anyone has any further Qs about the ICCA course they are welcome to message me.

Hi Jubbyjubtree,

I was recently rejected admission into the ICCA for the 2023 September intake. I was heartbroken after finding out. I am from Pakistan with a decent high 2:1 from the University of London. I am very eager to do my Bar from the ICCA, please help me how can I get admission at the ICCA, is there any way around. I would be indebted if you can help me through this. Waiting for your response. Thank you.

Regards
Ali Nawaz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending