The Student Room Group

MSc Law and Professional Practice - KCL - AVOID THIS COURSE

This course is impossibly hard. The PGDL year was completely closed book in-person exams and the average grade was a pass, the MSc year is an LPC + SQE mash basically, but you don’t graduate with an LPC. You can go to ULaw and study both the PGDL and LPC for far cheaper, and get a qualifying vocational qualification out of it, and with a much more accommodating faculty, and higher grades. Avoid this course if you care about your pockets and mental health. The general consensus was enrolling at this course instead of ULaw/City/BPP was a complete mistake. Out of the 50 students in first year, only around 10 remained for the second year.
Reply 1
This is probably the first review i’ve seen of this course, have you stayed for the second year?
Reply 2
Original post by hsshisjsa
This is probably the first review i’ve seen of this course, have you stayed for the second year?

I’m shocked that my cohort haven’t publicly expressed their discontent with it yet, I suppose they didn’t find the medium for it. I stayed on for second year briefly, as I already had invested so much money and wanted the MSc exit award. I realised the headache that comes with this department, their poor course structure and horrible pedagogy wouldn’t even be worth gold. I left with a PGDL and am currently doing an LLM SQE prep course elsewhere, and I’m very happy with this decision. I could’ve saved myself so much money doing the PGDL someplace else, and would have ended up with higher marks + better career advice. 2 weeks into the course we were told to not apply to magic and silver circle firms, mind you I graduated from a top uni. Honestly this course felt like a hate campaign against non-law grads lmfao, best and shortest way to put it.
Reply 3
Hi I am thinking of transitioning to law after my undergrad. Is the Msc Law in KCL similar to its undergraduate law degree, or would a senior status LLB be better?
Reply 4
Original post by Sofie341
Hi I am thinking of transitioning to law after my undergrad. Is the Msc Law in KCL similar to its undergraduate law degree, or would a senior status LLB be better?

Not similar at all, though they are both run by the DPSoL they are managed by a completely different department in the uni (professional law institute), and they are horrendous. I recommend you do a pgdl at ULaw or BPP, grades are crazy inflated there and firms endorse them. If you want a senior status LLB for optics then do it at SOAS, heard great things.
Reply 5
Original post by jwiiuee
This course is impossibly hard. The PGDL year was completely closed book in-person exams and the average grade was a pass, the MSc year is an LPC + SQE mash basically, but you don’t graduate with an LPC. You can go to ULaw and study both the PGDL and LPC for far cheaper, and get a qualifying vocational qualification out of it, and with a much more accommodating faculty, and higher grades. Avoid this course if you care about your pockets and mental health. The general consensus was enrolling at this course instead of ULaw/City/BPP was a complete mistake. Out of the 50 students in first year, only around 10 remained for the second year.

I received an offer for this MSc in Law program, just wanted to hear your opinion on my situation. I am a third year LLB student, but outside of the UK, even though I study international law, I do not have much knowledge on the UK legal system. My goal is to work as a solicitor in UK and successfully pass the SQE. I thought that this course would have prepared me for the exam and give me a real life practice, as I have not done any vacation schemes or whatsoever. Do you think it is a good option in my case, or would it be better to go to the univerity of law and take an SQE course preparation, for example?
Reply 6
Original post by xnxmun
I received an offer for this MSc in Law program, just wanted to hear your opinion on my situation. I am a third year LLB student, but outside of the UK, even though I study international law, I do not have much knowledge on the UK legal system. My goal is to work as a solicitor in UK and successfully pass the SQE. I thought that this course would have prepared me for the exam and give me a real life practice, as I have not done any vacation schemes or whatsoever. Do you think it is a good option in my case, or would it be better to go to the univerity of law and take an SQE course preparation, for example?

I urge you to avoid this course - King’s are new to law conversion courses and are not listed as one of the practical legal education providers by the SRA. Yes, it’s better to go to ULaw or BPP or City university and do a PGDL/GDL there first, they’ve been providing LPCs and SQE practice for decades, you’d be in safe hands. ULaw + BPP + City University mark GENEROUSLY, but it was virtually impossible to score above 66% at King’s. Also, firms regularly seek out law graduates from ULaw, BPP and City all the time and these unis are highly equipped in finding you a job ASAP.

It’s worth noting that as an international - it would be astronomically cheaper. The king’s MSc is around £30k for international students I believe, the PGDL is always under £15k, so you’re saving half the money.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 7
Would you be able to message me about this please? I'm considering this course for this year
Original post by lukenpf
Would you be able to message me about this please? I'm considering this course for this year

Did you get an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending