The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Singleton v Bay accommodation

I will be studying at Bay Campus (Engineering) but am very keen on using sports facilities and possibly joining some clubs. Which site would be best for accommodation? I am concerned that Bay is lacking on the social side.
Reply 1
i thought bay campus was more popular? i’m going swansea in september :smile: studying computer science
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Reply 2
I think there are more people staying there but the activities and clubs are based at Singleton. This could be old info though.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I think there are more people staying there but the activities and clubs are based at Singleton. This could be old info though.

well you could always bus to singleton for when you have activities and clubs but i reckon you should live on bay seeing as that’s where mostly your lectures will be held
Hi.
2nd year Swansea student here!
My flatmate is an aero eng student and her timetable along with other eng students timetables are hectic. Travelling the half hour from Singleton to Bay for lectures (for which you have many) will really test you and you won’t have a chance to go back to your flat during a rare break like your course mates will.
Whilst most of the societies and clubs are on singleton it’s much more convenient to travel over to singleton for the evenings than over for lectures and be stuck there all day. Trust me, I lived on bay and studied on singleton for first year. Living out of the library isn’t fun especially when you have to fight people for desk space. Your also facing COVID restrictions next year as well which means booking library study which is limited to a certain number of slots a week.
Practically I recommend you go for bay. You’ll be in a better location for lectures, you’ll have more free time and you’ll likely be in a flat with at least one other engineer. Yes bays isolated and you have to get the bus to go anywhere but engineering timetable is intense and I think you’ll struggle being on singleton.
stay on bay - no commute and can go back to flat in between lectures. accommodation is much nicer also
As far as the Bay is concerned it has its pitches and gym on site. Things like the swimming pool and main teams will be based at the Sports Centre a short walk from Singleton. Both campuses have their own bars and restaurants and when things get better both head to Wind Street bars in the city approx mid way between the campuses. If you can afford the accommodation at the Bay it will be more convenient and you can travel between both campuses by bus when needed which will in all probably be once a week for matches and any training sessions.
Original post by Anonymous
I will be studying at Bay Campus (Engineering) but am very keen on using sports facilities and possibly joining some clubs. Which site would be best for accommodation? I am concerned that Bay is lacking on the social side.

Hey! Bay Campus is about a 12 minute bus journey out of the city centre, so outside of lectures it may not be as convenient as other city centre accommodation for getting into town! That's what our residents tell us anyway :-) Singleton is much closer to the city centre, but is the older of the two campuses! Book onto a virtual open day and you should be able to get loads of information!
Hi! I'm a third year Swansea Psychology student! I personally would recommend looking for accommodation on the campus that you will be studying on. The bus rides to campus each day, although they aren't that long will be taking time out of your day, and a few of my friends who lived on Bay campus but studied on Singleton did not enjoy getting up earlier than they needed to for a 9am lecture!
With regards to the social side, Singleton campus does tend to hold a lot of the bigger events such as freshers events, and summer ball, with a weekly club night on a Friday called 'Tooters', but Bay campus does also have social areas too such as the bar Tafarn Tawe, along with many sports facilities on Bay campus. People I know who lived on Bay certainly didn't feel like they lacked a social life, so I would not be concerned about that living on either campus.
Hope this helps!
Abbey

Quick Reply

Latest