The Student Room Group

Sterling Car Insurance

Hi

I am finally nearing 17 and am looking at learner/provisional driver car insurance policies :smile:. I have been on some comparison sites and had many quotes, but Sterling Insurance has always been the cheapest at about £260/year and even as low as £236 directly through their site, compared to the next cheapest usually being Sainsbury's Bank at about £320 per year.

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with Sterling, as I haven't really heard of them before and reviews online are very mixed.

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Not heard very good things about Sterling

Unless you plan on taking a year to pass your test I wouldn't buy it in year increments either
Reply 2
Original post by oligti

Unless you plan on taking a year to pass your test I wouldn't buy it in year increments either

Oh dear :s-smilie:

I only thought to take it as a year as all of the quotes for monthly or certain periods of days work out so much more expensive and ofc with corona I have no idea how long it will take.. e.g. marmalade for 180 days was £292
Reply 3
My reply was deleted because the mods misunderstood what I was trying to say..

I'm with Collingwood insurance, and there is a 30% discount on the conquer driving youtube channel video descriptions currently (I'm not associated to them and all that rubbish) It might be worth getting a quote with them

I don't think I'm allowed to link it but I'd check it out

I've found that marmalade was a bit pricey too, but they are a definite genuine company
Reply 4
I used collingwood for my learner insurance. I can't remember the exact amount but I paid for a year up front, passed in 4 months and had the other 8 months refunded without any questions asked. Couldn't recommend them enough.
(edited 3 years ago)
I've never used Sterling, but i've heard several nasty stories about them really just being a spivvy middle man with a habit of getting their customers into expensive trouble with false details and cut corners.
I read the thread title as "Stealing car insurance" and I was like :eek:😂
Original post by oligti

Conversely, in the current situation it would work out much more economical to buy a years insurance rather than months at a time. There's a huge backlog of people waiting to take their test regardless, and you're never going to know what could happen in the near future - another lockdown, illness, failing the test etc.
Original post by bones-mccoy
Conversely, in the current situation it would work out much more economical to buy a years insurance rather than months at a time. There's a huge backlog of people waiting to take their test regardless, and you're never going to know what could happen in the near future - another lockdown, illness, failing the test etc.
and another lockdown did happen 🫢

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending