The Student Room Group

Polo gti 1.4l as first car

Im 18 just passed my test and looking for a first car anyone know the average or recommnd me getting a polo 1.4 gti
Live in london
Its insurance group 30E
Reply 1
You will be paying a fortune either way. No point getting a 1.4 really because I assume you’ll be getting a black box to save money.
I definitely wouldn’t recommend putting your parents as the primary driver on your car if you live at home as that stops you paying thousands in insurance (and you don’t need a black box) however is called fronting which is illegal as it mean’s insurance companies can’t rip you off…. I would never recommend something insurance companies made illegal so they can make more money
Reply 2
Original post by Zak2005123
Im 18 just passed my test and looking for a first car anyone know the average or recommnd me getting a polo 1.4 gti
Live in london
Its insurance group 30E

This car is NOT suitable. You need a car in a low insurance group and name a parent as a second driver [try each and see which is cheaper]
Reply 3
Original post by Zak2005123
Live in london
Its insurance group 30E

Even with an insurance group 1 or 2 car, you'll be paying maybe £1500-2000 per year initially. With the car you've suggested, you might be paying twice that, or even more. If you can afford that, go for it, but it seems like a complete waste of money to me.
Aim for a 1.2 or lower. Unfortunately smaller cars are becoming more popular due to the cost of living crisis so prices for Aygos, 500s, C1s etc have soared.
Yeah you're looking at insurance group 30, when you should be looking at well, 1-3. Buy a standard model as to be blunt, all these faster GTI/R/GTR/S/ST/M/AMG etc models are for people with driving experience and the insurance to handle it

It's worth remembering that these faster special edition cars tend to bought by younger drivers who want to really rag/push it, so the health of used ones will reflect this.
Reply 6
(Original post by StriderHort)Yeah you're looking at insurance group 30, when you should be looking at well, 1-3. Buy a standard model as to be blunt, all these faster GTI/R/GTR/S/ST/M/AMG etc models are for people with driving experience and the insurance to handle it

How about a vw golf 1.4 tsi its insurance group 16E im fine with paying around 3-4 max for insurance in london as a 18yr old so do you reckon it should fall within that range

It's worth remembering that these faster special edition cars tend to bought by younger drivers who want to really rag/push it, so the health of used ones will reflect this.

Original post by StriderHort
Yeah you're looking at insurance group 30, when you should be looking at well, 1-3. Buy a standard model as to be blunt, all these faster GTI/R/GTR/S/ST/M/AMG etc models are for people with driving experience and the insurance to handle it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending