The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science Assignment help?

Can anyone please help me with an assignment I have, I'm a 2nd year biomed student and I have to write a grant proposal. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.
Hi @SongBird2020

I am a Biomedical Science student too and I have personally never written a grant proposal all by myself. However, last year I submitted a grant application along with a university lecturer for a summer research project. Although he prepared most of the grant proposal, I can help you by telling you what things you can possibly include in your proposal (from what I learned looking at the proposal we submitted). I would recommend following the outline below:

Project title

Project description: (start by discussing the background concept of your project, then explain a knowledge gap to show why this research investigation needs to be carried out, then talk about what your project would include what you be trying to find out basically, state your hypothesis, don't forget to use citations and references here for the background information)

Project plan: (talk about how you would carry out the project, the methods you would use, the techniques and equipment, also giving a brief timescale for your project would be nice)

Benefits: What outcomes you are hoping for and significance of these outcomes in a wider context, could the outcomes have a potential therapeutic advantage? what new information could the study add to the existing literature)

Amount required: (breakdown of the costs of different reagents and materials you would be purchasing)

I think this is quite professional and may sound a bit difficult to do. You may not wish to include everything from this but I just wanted to give you an idea of what things you could include. In addition, you can watch relevant youtube videos or there must be articles if you search on google that also give an outline on how to go about writing a grant proposal.

Hope you find this useful! Goodluck working on your assignment! :smile:

Dhruvika
University of Hull Student Rep
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi @SongBird2020

I am a Biomedical Science student too and I have personally never written a grant proposal all by myself. However, last year I submitted a grant application along with a university lecturer for a summer research project. Although he prepared most of the grant proposal, I can help you by telling you what things you can possibly include in your proposal (from what I learned looking at the proposal we submitted). I would recommend following the outline below:

Project title

Project description: (start by discussing the background concept of your project, then explain a knowledge gap to show why this research investigation needs to be carried out, then talk about what your project would include what you be trying to find out basically, state your hypothesis, don't forget to use citations and references here for the background information)

Project plan: (talk about how you would carry out the project, the methods you would use, the techniques and equipment, also giving a brief timescale for your project would be nice)

Benefits: What outcomes you are hoping for and significance of these outcomes in a wider context, could the outcomes have a potential therapeutic advantage? what new information could the study add to the existing literature)

Amount required: (breakdown of the costs of different reagents and materials you would be purchasing)

I think this is quite professional and may sound a bit difficult to do. You may not wish to include everything from this but I just wanted to give you an idea of what things you could include. In addition, you can watch relevant youtube videos or there must be articles if you search on google that also give an outline on how to go about writing a grant proposal.

Hope you find this useful! Goodluck working on your assignment! :smile:

Dhruvika

Hi thank you for all of that extremely useful information. I think the main problem is that I really don't know what to do my grant proposal on. It's supposed to be something new that allows me to generate new data that's never been done before in bioscience. It can be any topic within biomedical science but I just can't think of any ideas that haven't already been done by other scientists. I was thinking about maybe using CRISPR Cas 9 to edit one of the genes involved in the p53 tumour pathway in mouse models with non-small cell lung cancer but i don't know what exact experiments I would do and again...It's most likely been done before. So I'm extremely stuck with this assignment I can't think of anything! :frown:
Original post by SongBird2020
Hi thank you for all of that extremely useful information. I think the main problem is that I really don't know what to do my grant proposal on. It's supposed to be something new that allows me to generate new data that's never been done before in bioscience. It can be any topic within biomedical science but I just can't think of any ideas that haven't already been done by other scientists. I was thinking about maybe using CRISPR Cas 9 to edit one of the genes involved in the p53 tumour pathway in mouse models with non-small cell lung cancer but i don't know what exact experiments I would do and again...It's most likely been done before. So I'm extremely stuck with this assignment I can't think of anything! :frown:

Hi @SongBird2020

Sorry for the delayed reply. I think what you can do is try to see what research has been done before and then modify one component of it to something novel. So taking the example of the topic you mentioned, you can try to investigate how CRISPR Cas 9 can edit one of the genes involved in the p53 tumour pathway in mouse models but if this has been done in non-small lung cancer, propose investigating this in some other type of cancer? Like breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer? Or maybe looking at some other gene in the p53 pathway instead of the one used in a published paper. Make sure what you select has not also been done before. This way you would be able to use similar methodologies and experiments to what has been used in the original paper but of course, modify them according to your investigation. Also, if you are still confused, try contacting one of your lecturers and they may be able to guide you better and given that this can be a difficult assignment, they probably would understand that you may require help setting up your research investigation and I'm sure they would be willing to help out!

Hope it goes well!

Dhruvika
Original post by SongBird2020
Can anyone please help me with an assignment I have, I'm a 2nd year biomed student and I have to write a grant proposal. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

you can go workingment.com

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending