The Student Room Group

Knowledge in The Handmaids Tale and Frankenstein

I have to write a comparison essay on the importance of knowledge within the two texts - while I have a pretty good idea of some things I can mention (eg the control of knowledge to oppress in Gilead and the dangers of knowledge in both texts) I'm struggling to form substantial points and how to structure the essay. If anyone can offer any help it'd be much appreciated ! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi!! I am currently trying to write this essay and It would be so helpful if you could give me some advice on what to write as I am struggling so much. Id appreciate it so much !
Read the mark scheme thoroughly, understand it, once you know what it is asking you to do, overcompensating or not writing enough would not be a problem. It would be as easy as answering what is your name? Understanding the mark scheme and the question and doing just that.
Make sure you know your knowledge and apply it.
Evaluate - judge the significance
Different perspectives and provide context that is relevant dont just throw bits and peices in there to sound cool.
Memorise senetence openers and connectives that induces chain of reasoning such as

Furthermore, it follows that,

Consequently,

Therefore,

Hence,

Thus,

and :

One key point is,

To start off,

At the outset,

It is important to note that,

Let me know if this helps. :smile:
Original post by artmop
I have to write a comparison essay on the importance of knowledge within the two texts - while I have a pretty good idea of some things I can mention (eg the control of knowledge to oppress in Gilead and the dangers of knowledge in both texts) I'm struggling to form substantial points and how to structure the essay. If anyone can offer any help it'd be much appreciated ! :smile:
Read the mark scheme thoroughly, understand it, once you know what it is asking you to do, overcompensating or not writing enough would not be a problem. It would be as easy as answering what is your name? Understanding the mark scheme and the question and doing just that.
Make sure you know your knowledge and apply it.
Evaluate - judge the significance
Different perspectives and provide context that is relevant dont just throw bits and peices in there to sound cool.
Memorise senetence openers and connectives that induces chain of reasoning such as

Furthermore, it follows that,

Consequently,

Therefore,

Hence,

Thus,

and :

One key point is,

To start off,

At the outset,

It is important to note that,

Let me know if this helps. :smile:
Original post by artmop

we had a question on learning the other week and we spoke about how it’s almost like offred and the handmaids are blank slates having to relearn everything just like the monster in frankenstein so with knowledge there you could talk about the power of it because it gives both offred and the monster a voice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending