The Student Room Group

Losing all strength in my chest after a workout.

I got back into the gym as soon as lockdown finished. The first day I bench very heavy and did a 3 rep bench press with very heavy weight. On the final rep my right side felt considerably weaker than my right and had very slight pain in it. Didnt think much of it. After this I couldn't workout properly. It has been 7 days and I trained chest again and my chest totally gave in. My arms felt weak and overall I lost pretty much all strength. I know I shouldn't have gone so hard first day back but what do I do now. Is this a major problem or do I just need to rest. Also what problem could it possibly be? Any advice on how to regain my strength and what is going on. Please.
Reply 1
If you haven’t worked out in 4 months you would’ve certainly lost strength, if you’ve injured your chest let it rest and then get back staring off light, make sure you’re getting enough sleep too helps a lot
Original post by Rajwaj
I got back into the gym as soon as lockdown finished. The first day I bench very heavy and did a 3 rep bench press with very heavy weight. On the final rep my right side felt considerably weaker than my right and had very slight pain in it. Didnt think much of it. After this I couldn't workout properly. It has been 7 days and I trained chest again and my chest totally gave in. My arms felt weak and overall I lost pretty much all strength. I know I shouldn't have gone so hard first day back but what do I do now. Is this a major problem or do I just need to rest. Also what problem could it possibly be? Any advice on how to regain my strength and what is going on. Please.

I'd talk to your GP I don't wan to scare you and it's almost definitely not but there is a very slight possibility it might be something like Muscular Dystrophy it hits very quickly when it does hit kind of in that way (at lest for me) as i say is almost definitely not that but i'd check just in case.

Either that or you just need to take it easy for a couple of weeks because you went too hard too fast.
Original post by Rajwaj

You over-worked the muscle and it just needs rest. Don't keep pushing yourself as it can lead to serious damage. So rest until you feel that your strength is back, and start light and slowly work your way up over time.
Reply 4
I have the same, 50% loss of strength in chest 2 weeks after heavy workout. No pain. Did it improve with time?
Original post by Rajwaj

Quick Reply

Latest