The Student Room Group

Oxford Biochemistry, or continue Natural Sciences at UCL?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice? If you were an offer holder for the 4 year Mbiochem degree at Oxford, but are currently in your first year of Natural Sciences BSc (3 years) at UCL, which would you do?

The Oxford pathway would take an extra year (need to reseat degree from first year) and you have to do a masters, whereas this is optional at the current uni. However, Oxford is Oxford, you only get one chance to study undergrad here and have the tutorials and networking experience. They don’t offer a 3 year BSc in Biochemistry. If the intention is not to stay in academia/do a PhD, which would you choose? Of course it may cost more and takes longer, but in theory the money will be repaid by a well paid job after Oxford? Will the masters add anything (other than the fact it is compulsory at Oxford!) However, it could take 5 years since completing school to finish university, however sticking with UCL would result in only 3 years after school (without a masters).

Thanks for any thoughts!
Original post by Sjxidjd123
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone had any advice? If you were an offer holder for the 4 year Mbiochem degree at Oxford, but are currently in your first year of Natural Sciences BSc (3 years) at UCL, which would you do?
The Oxford pathway would take an extra year (need to reseat degree from first year) and you have to do a masters, whereas this is optional at the current uni. However, Oxford is Oxford, you only get one chance to study undergrad here and have the tutorials and networking experience. They don’t offer a 3 year BSc in Biochemistry. If the intention is not to stay in academia/do a PhD, which would you choose? Of course it may cost more and takes longer, but in theory the money will be repaid by a well paid job after Oxford? Will the masters add anything (other than the fact it is compulsory at Oxford!) However, it could take 5 years since completing school to finish university, however sticking with UCL would result in only 3 years after school (without a masters).
Thanks for any thoughts!

you probably wont see this but i was wandering how you managed to get this offer - did you apply after accepting ucl but instead of taking a gap year just enroll?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending