The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i do AQA :smile: and yes, AQA stats is seriously a doddle, but more boring than the proverbial... I've seen Edexcel papers for Pure and Mechanics modules and found little difference, except in style of questions... If anything, I'd prefer the Edexcel style of questions... There are odd things, like Edexcel has some random integration formula in P2 that we don't cover at all, and someone said a method i got used in p2 was p6...

edit: if you want specifics pm me and we'll talk...
Reply 2
faa
Anyone know? Personally im adamnt that AQA seems much easier for maths- as ive seen the papers. We do AQA stats at school and i reckon it'd be better for the other modules to be on AQA too. Anyone here do AQA and can enlighten us?

cheers!

I dont have any experience of any other boards for maths, but Im on the edexcel and it seems fine, S1 was really easy but really really boring and I nearly fell asleep in the exam!
Reply 3
Edexcel is certainly the most popular maths syllabus, and because of that I'd say it's the easiest
Reply 4
joesharp
Edexcel is certainly the most popular maths syllabus, and because of that I'd say it's the easiest

for most subjects it tends to be ocr is the most difficult followed by edexcel and then AQA
Reply 5
I would imagine they're quite similar because they usually cover the same concepts. The only difference is the way they ask the questions. You might cover some things in P2 on one board that may be in P3 on another board but at the end of the day you'll have to do all of it anyway. If you do the Solomon papers for each unit which I think are a bit harder than the Edexcel papers then you'll be well prepared for your exams. :smile:
Reply 6
Is MEI the hardest?

I think that edexcel is very structured, which may make it seem easier, but at the core all the boards cover the same material.
Reply 7
CharleeB
Is MEI the hardest?

I think that edexcel is very structured, which may make it seem easier, but at the core all the boards cover the same material.

MEI is the most structured but Edexcel is the most widely used - not due to its easiness but rather it's style of questionning
Reply 8
Edexcel is (qouted from my ex-teacher) "the piss-easiest" syllabus from all the boards that offer Mathematics A Level. :smile:

Euclid
Reply 9
manps
MEI is the most structured but Edexcel is the most widely used - not due to its easiness but rather it's style of questionning

I don't see MEI as being the most structured, i do it and TBH i think that it could use more coherency, (although maybe that is just my teacher). MEI style of questions are v.different to edexcel; i personally find the edexcel ones harder (probably because I'm not used to them), but my friend (who does edexcel and is considerably better at maths than me) took one look at the questions in my text book and said 'bloody hell, how the **** are you supposed to do these?' :biggrin:. i think that it is all a matter of taste.
Reply 10
I'm on MEI and although the questions on the same topics don't seem any harder than the Edxcel questions, the topics are harder - alot of Edexcel P6 is in MEI P2-5 for instance.
Reply 11
faa
OP
k@tie
I'm on MEI and although the questions on the same topics don't seem any harder than the Edxcel questions, the topics are harder - alot of Edexcel P6 is in MEI P2-5 for instance.

Edexcel P6 isnt hard- you can do it without knowing P1 apparently!! lol

Its P5 thats the bad one
Reply 12
CharleeB
I don't see MEI as being the most structured, i do it and TBH i think that it could use more coherency, (although maybe that is just my teacher). MEI style of questions are v.different to edexcel; i personally find the edexcel ones harder (probably because I'm not used to them), but my friend (who does edexcel and is considerably better at maths than me) took one look at the questions in my text book and said 'bloody hell, how the **** are you supposed to do these?' :biggrin:. i think that it is all a matter of taste.

MEI is known as "MEI Structured Mathematics". I have spoken to a past examiner who used to write the S3 MEI papers and he said to me that MEI was taken by more able students. Apparently having an A level with MEI Maths is more recognised than having one with Edexcel. Even another teacher once said to me that he changed the board from MEI to Edexcel at his school because the better students did good but the poorer students found it harder.
Reply 13
faa
Edexcel P6 isnt hard- you can do it without knowing P1 apparently!! lol

Its P5 thats the bad one

I totally agree with you there! (dont know about the "you can do it without knowing P1 apparently" sentence, but P5 is definaltey harder than P6).

Euclid.

Latest