The Student Room Group

Could someone help with these 4 stats questions please?

They are about joint distributions.
Q4 onwards please
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by flumefan1
They are about joint distributions.
Q4 onwards please

You may need to ask the University to open up the resource?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
You may need to ask the University to open up the resource?

What do you mean?
What do you mean?

Access to this resource is denied due to authentication reasons
Sorry you do not have access to view the page you requested.
To gain access, please click on the "Plymouth University Resource Store Login" link on the lefthand side menu. You will be prompted for your Plymouth University login credentials
Reply 4
Original post by DFranklin
Access to this resource is denied due to authentication reasons
Sorry you do not have access to view the page you requested.
To gain access, please click on the "Plymouth University Resource Store Login" link on the lefthand side menu. You will be prompted for your Plymouth University login credentials

Ah okay, how can I make it so you can see the questions? Printscreening doesn't work.
Reply 5
Ah okay, how can I make it so you can see the questions? Printscreening doesn't work.

Its a chaptertutorial.pdf, so not sure what the problem is. You can easily grab a snapshot or ...
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
Its a chaptertutorial.pdf, so not sure what the problem is. You can easily grab a snapshot or ...

I have tried print screening the question and attaching them as an image but neither of those things worked
Reply 7
I have tried print screening the question and attaching them as an image but neither of those things worked

What doesn;t work specifically. Do you save the screenshots or snapshots as images, then upload or, ... Can you upload to a different image site or ...
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
What doesn;t work specifically. Do you save the screenshots or snapshots as images, then upload or, ... Can you upload to a different image site or ...

I press the print screen button then paste. Nothing comes up. I do the "insert image via url" with the printscreen I took but nothing shows up.
Reply 9
I press the print screen button then paste. Nothing comes up. I do the "insert image via url" with the printscreen I took but nothing shows up.

Well try saving the image first then upload that file.
Reply 10
I will copy and paste the questions one at a time.

Q5) Let X and Y be independent uniform(0,1) random variables.
(a) Find the joint density of U = X, V = X + Y .
(b) Find the marginal density of V .

Where do I begin?
I will copy and paste the questions one at a time.

Q5) Let X and Y be independent uniform(0,1) random variables.
(a) Find the joint density of U = X, V = X + Y .
(b) Find the marginal density of V .

Where do I begin?

They're tutorial questions, so what do you understand / what are you confused about?
Reply 12
Original post by mqb2766
They're tutorial questions, so what do you understand / what are you confused about?

I understand the first line. "Joint density" could mean lots of things e.g. joint pdf, joint cdf, etc. The solutions have a "Jacobi matrix" but nowhere has it been explained what this does,why it is there or where it comes from.
I also don't know what marginal density is. It could be one of two things but it doesn't say in the question whether we have discrete or continuous data.
I understand the first line. "Joint density" could mean lots of things e.g. joint pdf, joint cdf, etc. The solutions have a "Jacobi matrix" but nowhere has it been explained what this does,why it is there or where it comes from.
I also don't know what marginal density is. It could be one of two things but it doesn't say in the question whether we have discrete or continuous data.

You should have come context (notes) for the tutorial.
I presume its the joint pdf.
The marginal density is p(V) which you get from the "margin" of the joint pdf. Its easy enough to get for this question, but using the jacobian
https://faculty.math.illinois.edu/~r-ash/Stat/StatLec1-5.pdf
https://edoras.sdsu.edu/~babailey/reut09/lecture5.pdf
for instance. There are many other examples

Quick Reply

Latest