The Student Room Group

Wondering which university to choose for computer science

Hi everyone! I applied to Cardiff University, University of Notthingham, University of Liverpool and Lancaster University for computer science and I was wondering if any past or present students can tell me about their time there and how the degree was
Original post by jec04
Hi everyone! I applied to Cardiff University, University of Notthingham, University of Liverpool and Lancaster University for computer science and I was wondering if any past or present students can tell me about their time there and how the degree was
It is best to wait until you know of their decisions
Original post by jec04
Hi,

I'm a second year Computer Science student but I am on the Integrated Masters degree (this means I will do the 3 years of the BSc and then complete a 4th year which includes a placement term).

Before I go into detail of my experience here, it's important to point out that in September 2023 the new degree structure was introduced. This was done due to feedback from students in previous years in regards to having more choices with modules and to introduce 2 new degrees. What this means is that you will now get to pick around 4 modules in both 2nd and 3rd year as well as the compulsory modules meaning you can tailor your degree to you and be as broad or specific as you like! Also since September, 4 new labs have been built, with the help of a £4 million grant, and you will have access to these 4 labs as well as the other 4 labs in SAT 24 hours a day.

Back to my experience here. I have loved my time here! The lecturers are really friendly and supportive and take student feedback on board. You can email them or find them in their office if you need any help and many of them will arrange 1-to-1 sessions as well as drop in sessions and revision clinics to support you. There is also something called MASH which run maths and stats sessions which can be group or individual if there are any maths elements of the course you are struggling with and there is a scientific writing centre to support you too (these are all run by the Science and Tech faculty)! The lectures themselves are engaging and some even make use of interactive tech or will have guest lecturers in and these are always interesting, especially ones on careers you may not have known about. In first year each module has around 2 lectures and a practical session a week so that equates to 12 or so hours of contact time for the Computer Science part of first (see the next paragraph for an explanation on this).The practical sessions are great for consolidating knowledge and each one has a lecturer and several TAs so there's always someone on hand to help.

As well as studying Computer Science, in first year you will get the opportunity to study a minor which could be anything from maths, psychology or Spanish to neuroscience and entrepreneurship. This is something not many universities offer but I really enjoyed it in my first year - it gave me the chance to study something I hadn't before as well as meet new people. The contact time for this ranges from just an hour or 2 a week up to maybe 4 a week depending on your chosen minor.

The campus is amazing and is essentially it's own little town. It has everything from pubs, cafes, a sports centre, a chaplaincy, takeaways and a spar (to name a few) so ultimately you don't need to leave! It also has a woodland trail which is great for fresh air and to get some time in nature. There are also over 150 clubs and societies to join.

In terms of welfare here, each college has it's own welfare team and the university has a central team. Having used these in first year, they really are supportive and will arrange counselling sessions should you need them as well as helping you navigate your way through what can be a very daunting experience for some. They are quick to respond and arrange the counselling the only thing is you have to ask for this yourself, they don't come to you.

Hope this helps and any other questions please feel free to ask!

Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,
I'm a second year Computer Science student but I am on the Integrated Masters degree (this means I will do the 3 years of the BSc and then complete a 4th year which includes a placement term).
Before I go into detail of my experience here, it's important to point out that in September 2023 the new degree structure was introduced. This was done due to feedback from students in previous years in regards to having more choices with modules and to introduce 2 new degrees. What this means is that you will now get to pick around 4 modules in both 2nd and 3rd year as well as the compulsory modules meaning you can tailor your degree to you and be as broad or specific as you like! Also since September, 4 new labs have been built, with the help of a £4 million grant, and you will have access to these 4 labs as well as the other 4 labs in SAT 24 hours a day.
Back to my experience here. I have loved my time here! The lecturers are really friendly and supportive and take student feedback on board. You can email them or find them in their office if you need any help and many of them will arrange 1-to-1 sessions as well as drop in sessions and revision clinics to support you. There is also something called MASH which run maths and stats sessions which can be group or individual if there are any maths elements of the course you are struggling with and there is a scientific writing centre to support you too (these are all run by the Science and Tech faculty)! The lectures themselves are engaging and some even make use of interactive tech or will have guest lecturers in and these are always interesting, especially ones on careers you may not have known about. In first year each module has around 2 lectures and a practical session a week so that equates to 12 or so hours of contact time for the Computer Science part of first (see the next paragraph for an explanation on this).The practical sessions are great for consolidating knowledge and each one has a lecturer and several TAs so there's always someone on hand to help.
As well as studying Computer Science, in first year you will get the opportunity to study a minor which could be anything from maths, psychology or Spanish to neuroscience and entrepreneurship. This is something not many universities offer but I really enjoyed it in my first year - it gave me the chance to study something I hadn't before as well as meet new people. The contact time for this ranges from just an hour or 2 a week up to maybe 4 a week depending on your chosen minor.
The campus is amazing and is essentially it's own little town. It has everything from pubs, cafes, a sports centre, a chaplaincy, takeaways and a spar (to name a few) so ultimately you don't need to leave! It also has a woodland trail which is great for fresh air and to get some time in nature. There are also over 150 clubs and societies to join.
In terms of welfare here, each college has it's own welfare team and the university has a central team. Having used these in first year, they really are supportive and will arrange counselling sessions should you need them as well as helping you navigate your way through what can be a very daunting experience for some. They are quick to respond and arrange the counselling the only thing is you have to ask for this yourself, they don't come to you.
Hope this helps and any other questions please feel free to ask!
Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hi! Thank you so much, this was really helpful!
Original post by jec04
You're welcome!

If there's any other information you need or burning questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Ella
Original post by jec04
Also, as you've applied you should be invited on an offer holder day so if you can attend I suggest you do (I'll probably see you there anyways) but when I attend my offer holder day I really got a feel for the uni and met the lectures and that was what sold it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending