Reply 1
Original post by Hii84y4
Why does the answer say p = 8 and q = +/- 6
Why can't p = +/- 8

Can someone pls explain ??
Original post by Hii84y4
Why does the answer say p = 8 and q = +/- 6
Why can't p = +/- 8

you are correct. p can be positive or negative, q must be positive.
Reply 3
Original post by the bear

Why must q be positive??
Reply 4
Original post by Hii84y4
Can someone pls explain ??

I don't know what phrasing they use in modern exam papers, but having read the question about 4 times now, I can see two possible ways of interpreting it:

1) the angle theta is an acute angle either above or below the positive x-axis with sin(theta) = 3/5, i.e. it represents the size of the angle, not its direction. In this case p ,must be positive but q can be positive or negative;

2) the angle theta is being measured in a positive sense from the positive x-axis, in which case there is one solution with acute theta (i.e. p positive, q positive) and one solution with obtuse theta (i.e. p negative, q positive).

I must admit my first reading of the question led me to solution 1, However, having now looked at the third screenshot you posted they seem to have drawn a diagram corresponding to interpretation 2, but listed the solutions corresponding to interpretation 1. Then they've gone ahead and said actually we can have 4 solutions by symmetry!!

Is this from a textbook or a made-up set of problems?
Reply 5
Original post by davros
I don't know what phrasing they use in modern exam papers, but having read the question about 4 times now, I can see two possible ways of interpreting it:

1) the angle theta is an acute angle either above or below the positive x-axis with sin(theta) = 3/5, i.e. it represents the size of the angle, not its direction. In this case p ,must be positive but q can be positive or negative;

2) the angle theta is being measured in a positive sense from the positive x-axis, in which case there is one solution with acute theta (i.e. p positive, q positive) and one solution with obtuse theta (i.e. p negative, q positive).

I must admit my first reading of the question led me to solution 1, However, having now looked at the third screenshot you posted they seem to have drawn a diagram corresponding to interpretation 2, but listed the solutions corresponding to interpretation 1. Then they've gone ahead and said actually we can have 4 solutions by symmetry!!

This is from the official textbook we use at college
Reply 6
Original post by davros

I don't understand why both p and q can't be pos/neg
Original post by davros

so the angle could be measured anticlockwise from the positive x direction ( which is what we are used to ), or clockwise.

the results from the two cases are linked by a reflection in the x axis. for the first case p = + or - 8 and q = 6

for the second case p = + or - 8 and q = - 6
Reply 8
so the angle could be measured anticlockwise from the positive x direction ( which is what we are used to ), or clockwise.

the results from the two cases are linked by a reflection in the x axis. for the first case p = + or - 8 and q = 6

for the second case p = + or - 8 and q = - 6

Cant help thinking your original answer/explanation is correct. Possibly a typo in the model answer, or the question was changed from a cos() to a sin() at some point.

The worked solution has different fonts from the book and ignores the angle sign which cant be right. The figure is right, but the folllowing line isnt, which is either an error or a sign the question changed. Also, the worked answer is different from the model solution answer.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest