The Student Room Group

Need help with maths question

Below I have attached 2 questions that I need help with, I would appreciate it if you can show how to work the question out so I can understand how to answer the question.

The answer to the first one is 185 litres
The answer to the second one is 11160 cm^3 (to 4 s.f.)
Adobe Scan 05 May 2021_1.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
how many marks are each part? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kayc111
how many marks are each part? :smile:

the book doesn't say how many marks it is
Original post by Yesyesyes17
Below I have attached 2 questions that I need help with, I would appreciate it if you can show how to work the question out so I can understand how to answer the question.

The answer to the first one is 185 litres
The answer to the second one is 11160 cm^3 (to 4 s.f.)
Adobe Scan 05 May 2021_1.jpg

I’m just gonna give you the gist of it. So you wanna utilise the property of similar shapes. So label the total height as h. We got a ratio of 80:60, which simplifies to 4:3. We can see we get two pyramids right. One has the length and width of 80 and 100, whilst the second has a length of 60 and 75 (as base). Now the 80x100 pyramid has a height of h. The 60x75 has a height of h-30 (since the frustum height is 30, we minus it from h. Now by utilising the ratio, h:h-30 = 4:3. This means, after some rearrangement, 4(h-30) = 3h. Rearrange to get h = 120. That’s our height. Now use the formula for volume of a pyramid to find the two pyramids and subtract. This same idea is in the second question. Since one circle is larger than the other, we can assume a cone has been cut. So use the idea of similar shape in that! Hope this helps
Reply 4
Original post by UrFellowMedic
I’m just gonna give you the gist of it. So you wanna utilise the property of similar shapes. So label the total height as h. We got a ratio of 80:60, which simplifies to 4:3. We can see we get two pyramids right. One has the length and width of 80 and 100, whilst the second has a length of 60 and 75 (as base). Now the 80x100 pyramid has a height of h. The 60x75 has a height of h-30 (since the frustum height is 30, we minus it from h. Now by utilising the ratio, h:h-30 = 4:3. This means, after some rearrangement, 4(h-30) = 3h. Rearrange to get h = 120. That’s our height. Now use the formula for volume of a pyramid to find the two pyramids and subtract. This same idea is in the second question. Since one circle is larger than the other, we can assume a cone has been cut. So use the idea of similar shape in that! Hope this helps

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest