The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE HELPPPPPPP ASAPPP, PLEASEEEE

Hi. I need HELPPPP. So, after one week I will go to year 11. My mocks are pretty much after 2 or 3 months. My end of year grade in maths was 4 as I am in set 2 and we were told we were gonna sit foundation exam and we will start higher next year which is like after next week. I am super stressed. I want to get at least grade 7 in my mocks and in real GCSE's 7-9 but more towards 8 or 9. I try to do higher questions but I fail to do it. I do not wanna go to foundation and sit foundation exam. I want to learn and get higher grades. Please give me advice or any solution. This would be really helpful. I am stressing very much.
Reply 1
do a lot of questions even if you get them wrong, you will learn, and every time you practice you will get better.
Reply 2
Have you tried watching worked solutions? The speaker explains in detail but if you are still stuck, asking some friends could be beneficial. Getting help in person is great as you can ask as many questions as you want :biggrin: Plus, they can rephrase and reword if need be.

As for the worked solutions, read the chapter in the textbook that explains the topic, then try and watch the worked solution and see how it all is applied and all that. (its hard to explain but this helped me since I learn visually)

Like hoyam said, repetition is key. Get your brain used to the types of questions, the methods and keep trying again even if you make mistakes. Don't always rely on answers and make a good attempt( trust me you'll get lazy and just copy )

And NEVER be too embarrassed or afraid to ask for help. Leaving things unanswered until too late will be devastating.

I hope you the best!
Original post by Walnut23
Hi. I need HELPPPP. So, after one week I will go to year 11. My mocks are pretty much after 2 or 3 months. My end of year grade in maths was 4 as I am in set 2 and we were told we were gonna sit foundation exam and we will start higher next year which is like after next week. I am super stressed. I want to get at least grade 7 in my mocks and in real GCSE's 7-9 but more towards 8 or 9. I try to do higher questions but I fail to do it. I do not wanna go to foundation and sit foundation exam. I want to learn and get higher grades. Please give me advice or any solution. This would be really helpful. I am stressing very much.

Which topics are you struggling with?
Reply 4
Lmk if you need some resources.
:crossedf:
Reply 5
Hey! I got a 4 in my January mocks but got an 8 in my actual GCSE. My best advice would be little and often. I used 'maths genie' to master a topic. I did a new topic every few weeks and worked at a relaxed pace. The best thing about Maths Genie is you can start with lower grade questions and build up to the harder ones instead of throwing yourself into the deep end with the higher questions. The same goes for Dr Frost Maths online. And as everyone has already said, the best method to improve is just answering questions.

Try not to stress yourself out and just do small manageable chunks. Don't look to go from a 4 to a 9 in a week, but think about the big picture, maybe look to improve a grade a month or two. When you get closer to your actual exams start to do practise papers because those will help, but don't focus on those now.

If i had calmed down during year 11 and not stressed so much i probably would have had a better year. School hasn't even started and you are stressing like i was last year during summer! It will be ok promise, take a deep breath and do a small managable chunks of maths and you'll improve in no time.

You got this!

Hey there. Know what exam board you're doing. Start from the topic which you're struggling with or if you want a solid foundation probably just start from chapter 1. Or just focus on the topics you need help with and do practice questions from the textbook. Don't be afraid to do mistakes. When you start getting questions right on the textbook, your confidence should increase.
Do most of the questions and complete each chapter until you're solid and comfortable with the content.
If you need help on a specific topic, search it up on Youtube then follow through their examples. Then go back to the question you needed help with and figure it out from there. If you still need help, you can make a post with a screenshot of the question you needed help with.
MAKE SURE TO ASK FOR HELP IN CLASS/ ASK OTHER PEOPLE for help. Don't leave all your questions unanswered until the last minute.
Don't be shy to ask questions.
Look at the specification for your exam board and make a note of what topic you're struggling with.
Rinse and repeat for all of the other topics.
When you're solid with the textbook questions, look through practice questions for each topic online(from maths genie and loads more websites).
Then, when you're solid with those practice questions do practice papers.
If you're struggling with a past paper, search up a walkthrough on it on Youtube (only only do this if there's no other option) and skip to the question you needed help with or ask in student room.

Good luck. 2-3 months is a lot of time but not a lot if you just waste it procrastinating.
After your mocks are over, try get ahead of the class even looking at the textbook/watching youtube video going through the topic that will be covered next lesson. That way math topics should be a bit easier to cover.
Make sure to make your foundations in maths solid and the best way to do that is practice questions for maths.
Don't panic or rely on last minute revision not just for maths but all of your other subjects.

Heya!
Use the time between now and the mocks to do proper revision for maths. Maths requires a lot of practice, so doing past papers by topics rather than by year should help :smile: There are also tons of free resources available for you online. If you get stuck on a question, have a teacher go through the solution step by step or watch a youtube video on it.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 8
I definitely need resources. Please if you can give me some.Thank you
Original post by Xuppe
Lmk if you need some resources.
:crossedf:
Reply 9
Everyone, thank you so much y'all. You guys have actually gave me a lot of confidence. Every single of you. I am really looking forward to try your guys method and ace my mocks. So helpful. :h:
Reply 10
Everyone, thank you so much y'all. You guys have actually gave me a lot of confidence. Every single of you. I am really looking forward to try your guys method and ace my mocks. So helpful. :h:

nww just remember to stay calm.

Best of luck!
Reply 11

Ofc, may I have your exam board?

Hi. I'm in Year 11 and have mocks in November. I'm working at a Grade 9. My advice is practice lots of questions, especially more difficult ones.
Maths Genie is a good website for topic questions if you want to check it out, I always use it!
Also don't give up. Ask your teachers for help, when I don't understand a topic in class I stay at lunch and the teacher goes through it with me.
If you have any revision guides and workbooks they're really good, I take mine with me to school for last minute revision with my classmates!
Good luck with your mocks! 😃

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/

Maths passports: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports

Heyy i know im late but just posting this for any one else who’s looking for an answer. I was able to get a grade 9 in gcse maths (2021) even though i got like a 4 in November mocks. Basically you need to start from the basics, think of it like a house. You need to build the foundations first to be able to move on to much harder things. I used to not be able to deal with simple fractions and it took me ages to understand it but i persevered and kept going until i understood fractions. Then after you understood it you start with the easy questions and you level up to the harder questions. Make sure you understand exactly how to get to the answer. Then try more questions until you feel confident on that topic. YouTube is also very helpful, I remember HegartyMaths helped me a lot and the GCSE maths tutor on YouTube as well. YouTube is suuuuper helpful and it’s free. Do this for every topic no matter how easy it may be for other people. And remember ur struggle and hard work is 10000% worth it and don’t give up on urself

Quick Reply

Latest